Thread: Official off-season trade rumor and suggestion thread

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    I absolutely hate trading MLB players who are good for prospects. How often has that worked in the Braves favor?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    One of Russell/Baez/Castro will be available, whether that is for a TOR arm or power hitting corner outfielder.
    Probably Castro.

Baez/Russell arent going anywhere.

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Probably Castro.

Baez/Russell arent going anywhere.
    It was said that when the Mets contacted them about Castro he was unavailable.

Castro is a proven hitter against Major League pitchers too.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    I absolutely hate trading MLB players who are good for prospects. How often has that worked in the Braves favor?
    Renteria for jurrjens/gorkys
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Renteria for jurrjens/gorkys
    Not really. Jair couldn't stay healthy after he an electric first of a season.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    I loved me some Edgar Renteria though. His career began to unwind after we dealt him. So I will give you that. Who knows if he would have been good like he was if he stayed in Atlanta.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,324 Posts
    My memory serves that the Marte for Renteria trade was largely panned by the scout board folk. But in retrospect that was a great JS trade and, unintentionally, seems to reflect some modern player valuation such as valuing base running and defense (which at the time was considered archaic).

Awesome trade. One of JS's best.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Not really. Jair couldn't stay healthy after he an electric first of a season.
    Jair threw 670 innings for the Braves his first 4 seasons with us, winning 47 games with a 3.34 ERA (121 ERA+). We got that for a good but aging SS with 1 year of contol left. I'd call that a pretty frigging good haul. If we get 4 years of 121 ERA+ and 700+ innings out of whoever we get for Upton, then it is most certainly a great trade.

As far as other trades for prospects, we haven't really traded away any star players in the last several years for prospects. Only stars I recall us trading for prospects were Tex and Yunel. Now yes we didn't get back much in these trades, aside from Pastor, but both trades were made by our former GM. And in both trades, Wren limited our return by demanding in return a current major league starter for the same position that he was trading away (Kotchman for Tex and Gonzalez for Yunel, respectively).

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Jair threw 670 innings for the Braves his first 4 seasons with us, winning 47 games with a 3.34 ERA (121 ERA+). We got that for a good but aging SS with 1 year of contol left. I'd call that a pretty frigging good haul. If we get 4 years of 121 ERA+ and 700+ innings out of whoever we get for Upton, then it is most certainly a great trade.

As far as other trades for prospects, we haven't really traded away any star players in the last several years for prospects. Only stars I recall us trading for prospects were Tex and Yunel. Now yes we didn't get back much in these trades, aside from Pastor, but both trades were made by our former GM. And in both trades, Wren limited our return by demanding in return a current major league starter for the same position that he was trading away (Kotchman for Tex and Gonzalez for Yunel, respectively).
    I always thought Gonzalez was an underrated SS and Yunel was a clubhouse cancer so I would say Frank Wren got a nice return for Escobar (and Jo-Jo Reyes), as far as someone who could step in right away and help our club (Gonzalez) and then two fairly decent prospect at the time in Pastornicky and Tim Collins.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    My memory serves that the Marte for Renteria trade was largely panned by the scout board folk. But in retrospect that was a great JS trade and, unintentionally, seems to reflect some modern player valuation such as valuing base running and defense (which at the time was considered archaic).

It was Wren's first trade as GM. He was named GM October 11, 2007. The trade was made on October 29, 2007.

It marked a change after several years where we were giving up young players/prospects for older ones.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts

The statgeeks had hardly seen Marte play, and ignored posted reports about certain aspects of his status (hole in swing, weight). No personnel decisions are to be made without first consulting Fangraphs, Talking Chop, Twitter and various fantasy league message boards.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    The statgeeks had hardly seen Marte play, and ignored posted reports about certain aspects of his status (hole in swing, weight). No personnel decisions are to be made without first consulting Fangraphs, Talking Chop, Twitter and various fantasy league message boards.
    I agree. The nerve of Hart to make that "spoken-to-death-trade-that-shall-not-be-uttered-by-me" without consulting the GM wizards on the message board. I for one am outraged!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (12-15-2014)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    I don't think anyone was reading fangraphs back then. It was more b-ref, b-pro, hardball times, and some other big ones I'm forgetting.

As far as Marte, something never clicked, and I think what a flaw we missed back then was minor league K rates. The hole in the swing if you would. His K rate didn't look bad if you directly compared it to say Adam Dunn, but a guy who strikes out around 20% of the time in the minors is gonna strike out more often than that in the majors and when Marte's power didn't come along like expected the train came off the tracks
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,324 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    It was Wren's first trade as GM. He was named GM October 11, 2007. The trade was made on October 29, 2007.

It marked a change after several years where we were giving up young players/prospects for older ones.
    Andy Marte for Edgar Renteria was most certainly a JS move

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I don't think anyone was reading fangraphs back then. It was more b-ref, b-pro, hardball times, and some other big ones I'm forgetting.

As far as Marte, something never clicked, and I think what a flaw we missed back then was minor league K rates. The hole in the swing if you would. His K rate didn't look bad if you directly compared it to say Adam Dunn, but a guy who strikes out around 20% of the time in the minors is gonna strike out more often than that in the majors and when Marte's power didn't come along like expected the train came off the tracks
    Marte never got over it. My buddy, Carlos, has AAA Bison season tickets. Marte was the starting 3B when they were Indians affiliate. Carlos told me emphatically how much Marte blew. So, it wasn't even a situation of a "AAAA" player. He was barely holding on at the top level of the minors.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,766 Posts
    Never liked Marte the first time I saw him play when he played for Chipper. He swung at pitches in the dirt like Andruw, and his stance was very weak with awful bat speed.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    Andy Marte for Edgar Renteria was most certainly a JS move
    You're right. I confused it with the Jurrjens for Renteria trade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    You're right. I confused it with the Jurrjens for Renteria trade.
    I knew that was the move you meant based on you referencing it as Wren's first trade after becoming GM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Marlins sign Mike Morse to two-year deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Marlins sign Mike Morse to two-year deal.
    Offensively SF has taken a beating this offseason. Them and Baltimore have to do something I'd imagine.
    Ivermectin Man