Page 1006 of 1150 FirstFirst ... 650690695699610041005100610071008101610561106 ... LastLast
Results 20,101 to 20,120 of 22998

Thread: REAL FOOTBALL Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    Imo with QB prospects you want to keep it simple. Half of the game is being able to read defenses and coverage but people just want to drool over arm talent. Being able to throw 50 yards from your knees means nothing to me. Some look at a QB with elite arm talent and a 2 cent brain as a QB with upside. Part of what makes Patrick Mahomes special is his photographic memory. Give me a smart QB who s elite at the short passing game and mediocre at medium range and bad at the deep ball over every Jawalrus that comes down the pike. I know this sounds like Brees but this was my thoughts long before his arm turned into a noodle. Chad Pettington comes to mind. Always thought he was close to what look for in a QB. Ideally imo you want a QB who can run for a first down here amd there like Jameis was doing this year.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    I mean Matt Ryan is what you described. He doesn't have a noodle arm but there aren't many better at throwing short and medium and his ability to read is top tier.

I agree that Mahomes is more uncommon than common.

Like the old arm vs. brain is like who is better, Ryan or Stafford. As Stafford isn't a bad QB like say Jamarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf. But he didn't quite have Ryan's mental game and his accuracy on the short/medium passes. And Ryan isn't Brees or Brady elite level of a short/medium passer.

The struggle is that it's hard to pick out who has "it" in the draft. Sometimes you can pick people out as not having "it" based on their systems. But what separates Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf is often hard for a fan like us to see. But usually is done by a good FO.

I'm not sure if the Falcons have the FO anymore, we'll have to wait and see.

Personally I didn't want Fields,I'm glad we didn't take him.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,021 Posts
    Stafford is pretty damn good. I know everyone liked to pin his success on Megatron, but he's been good without him. I actually wonder how much better he would have been had he not wasted his career in Detroit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    There is a minimum level of arm strength that no amount of mental ability will overcome and that level is actually pretty high. What looks weak in comparison to other NFL QBs can actually be strong when compared to a lot of guys who bust.

And arm strength is more than throwing the ball 60 yards in the air. Zip on intermediate passes is far more important than a massive deep ball. In fact, one of the things I hate is when a talking head points out a successful deep pass as proof a guy has a strong arm. Just because you connect on a ball downfield doesn't mean you have enough velocity on your other passes to be successful. If you float the ball in the intermediate game you'll never be successful in the NFL. Windows you throw through are so small you can't have your receivers having to wait for the ball.

I use Jake Fromm as an example. That guy was a heady QB who graded out as well between the ears as any QB in his draft class, who ran a pro-style offense in college, and who won games at a high level. Ultimately he went in the 5th round to the Bills, is now on their practice squad, and is probably lucky to be there. The biggest reason is his arm strength. His deep ball was never great but more importantly he didn't have great zip on his intermediate pass game. The ball would just float.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to write Fields off becaus he's a kid.

But he's arguably the worst QB in the NFL.What are you seeing that sells you on him? He leads the league in Sacks and Sack Yards. His net Yards per attempt is sitting under 5 yards. He's like near Jamarcus Russell levels.

Hopefully he will turn it around, but there's nothing I'm seeing that makes me think he would be good aside from the hope that spending a year on the bench learning from Ryan would be good for him.
    The first thing that sells me on Fields is his ability. You don't see someone with that much pure ability at the QB position very often. If you were to make up a custom character for a QB on a video game, it would look like Fields.

However, uber talented QBs have busted before and Fields season stats aren't impressive. However, his improvement has been obvious. That drive against the Steelers to take the late in the game on Monday night football was tremendous.

Honestly, any QB that can have Bears fans hopeful while playing for Nagy is probably a force to be reckoned with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Stafford is pretty damn good. I know everyone liked to pin his success on Megatron, but he's been good without him. I actually wonder how much better he would have been had he not wasted his career in Detroit.
    I don't want to put Stafford down. But there's an "it" difference between him and Ryan. I picked Stafford because he is a good QB. It's easy to dunk on Mediocre ot bad QBs with big arms.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    I don't want to put Stafford down. But there's an "it" difference between him and Ryan. I picked Stafford because he is a good QB. It's easy to dunk on Mediocre ot bad QBs with big arms.
    Ever watched the game where Stafford was mic'd and separated his non throwing shoulder late in the game. While being examined by the medical staff he heard a stoppage that would let him get back in the game. He shoved the medical personnel away, ran back on the field, and threw a TD.

Pretty big it factor. Just hard to look like you have it playing for the Lions.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (11-20-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    It factors are more than toughness and will to win. That's part of it but there's also a pocket presence, defensive readings, so on so forth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    It factors are more than toughness and will to win. That's part of it but there's also a pocket presence, defensive readings, so on so forth.
    I think they're different styles. Ryan is more in the Drew Brees mold. They rely on playing intelligently, surgically carving up a defense, and putting the ball where it needs to be exactly when it needs to be there.

Stafford is more in the Favre gunslinger mode. I think they both have "it" but that "it" is different for their styles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    The Falcons are so bad. So glad they drafted a TE with a top 5 pick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,920 Posts
    Brutal to watch
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Brutal to watch
    I have very little confidence in either the coach or the front office right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,920 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I have very little confidence in either the coach or the front office right now.
    The play calling is better. The defense has played better with largely less talent than before.

It was always gonna take a few years, which is why Ryan likely needs to move on. We need a high draft pick QB, and that guy wasn't Fields. Hell, there wasn't anyone else to take there except the LB from Penn St, and we are good there for the most part.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    The play calling is better. The defense has played better with largely less talent than before.

It was always gonna take a few years, which is why Ryan likely needs to move on. We need a high draft pick QB, and that guy wasn't Fields. Hell, there wasn't anyone else to take there except the LB from Penn St, and we are good there for the most part.
    If they didn't think Fields was the guy they should have traded down with a team that wanted Pitts. Drafting Pitts in their situation was just hubris by the new regime thinking they could compete this year.

But we'll see on Fields. He could make the Falcons look good for passing or he could make them look stupid.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    The Falcons price on the 4th pick was sky high, and no one was paying a crazy amount to get that high. I liked Fields alot but still probably take the chance with him over Pitts. Too early one way or the other to say Fields is a bust until he gets a little bit of a better situation and coaching.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,920 Posts
    If they didn't think Fields was the guy they should have traded down with a team that wanted Pitts. Drafting Pitts in their situation was just hubris by the new regime thinking they could compete this year.

But we'll see on Fields. He could make the Falcons look good for passing or he could make them look stupid.
    They wanted to, no takers
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    They wanted to, no takers
    I mean would people have been happy with like a meh selection of picks?

Kyle Pitts is the ****ing truth. Honestly like me being an optimist. We could bench Ryna this year and just build up the rest of the team. Especially if Ridley isn't really done.

Look into next year, there's a good number of talented edge players, which is something we need badly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    Jaguars are a joke. Falcons have no business beating anyone right now. Falcons went and just beat up the Jags.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    Jaguars are a joke. Falcons have no business beating anyone right now. Falcons went and just beat up the Jags.
    Meyer should have stayed at the college level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,920 Posts
    Meyer should have stayed at the college level.
    He just may be back there... give it another week.
    Ivermectin Man