Results 2,681 to 2,700 of 4572

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    With AA being a tightwad for prospects, who knows if it would. I'd do that deal though.
    I will be curious to see the first deal he makes that includes our top prospects...if he ever makes one.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    Some random person posted this on Twitter so it’s 99% false, but on the 1% chance it’s real, what does everyone think?

“I have no idea if it’s reputable and I’m not going to provide a name, but a #Braves friend of mine said Indians are asking for Langeliers, Waters, Riley, and De La Cruz for Ramirez.”
    That's the exact trade package discussed here:

https://www.sportstalkatl.com/braves...-jose-ramirez/

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's BS.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-31-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,005 Posts
    Everyone’s favorite, Dan Clark, says we are still talking with the Indians about Ramirez.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    That's the exact trade package discussed here:

https://www.sportstalkatl.com/braves...-jose-ramirez/

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's BS.
    I don't put much stock in the article. It says Cleveland would receive RHP Joel De La Cruz from the Braves. Problem is that De La Cruz last pitched in the Braves' system in 2017. I'm pretty sure that the De La Cruz in question is Jasseel, but the article makes it clear that Joel could contribute in the Indians' bullpen. Now I could be wrong, but who writes this sh*t and expects to be taken seriously?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-31-2021)

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Everyone’s favorite, Dan Clark, says we are still talking with the Indians about Ramirez.
    If the Braves are talking with the Indians they probably don’t want to include Drew Waters and probably thats what is holding any trade.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,021 Posts
    If the Braves can manage to obtain Ramirez without giving up Pache or Anderson, I'd be extremely surprised. I suppose if they value Riley enough, a package centered around Waters, Riley, and Wright could work.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-31-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,993 Posts
    NT
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 01-30-2021 at 09:54 PM.

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    If the Braves are talking with the Indians they probably don’t want to include Drew Waters and probably thats what is holding any trade.
    If we don’t want to include Drew Waters then I don’t see how the deal happens. Heck, I’d be willing to bet Cleveland wants Pache, not Waters. A trade for JRam starts with Pache, not Waters, unfortunately.

Cleveland: We want Pache+
    AA: We’re not giving up Waters. How about Ender?
    Cleveland: Huh? We said we want Pache.
    AA: Listen, the best I can do is Ender. I’ll even eat his salary, but I’m going to need you to pick up half of JRam’s remaining salary. Waters is off limits.
    Cleveland: Call us back when Pache is available.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tululush For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-31-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    If we don’t want to include Drew Waters then I don’t see how the deal happens. Heck, I’d be willing to bet Cleveland wants Pache, not Waters. A trade for JRam starts with Pache, not Waters, unfortunately.

Cleveland: We want Pache+
    AA: We’re not giving up Waters. How about Ender?
    Cleveland: Huh? We said we want Pache.
    AA: Listen, the best I can do is Ender. I’ll even eat his salary, but I’m going to need you to pick up half of JRam’s remaining salary. Waters is off limits.
    Cleveland: Call us back when Pache is available.
    Lol

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,148 Posts
    Some random person posted this on Twitter so it’s 99% false, but on the 1% chance it’s real, what does everyone think?

“I have no idea if it’s reputable and I’m not going to provide a name, but a #Braves friend of mine said Indians are asking for Langeliers, Waters, Riley, and De La Cruz for Ramirez.”
    It seems a bit light, but it fits the pattern the Indians have followed in their returns for Lindor and Clevenger. Lots of controllable talent that is either MLB ready or close to it. I would expect them to ask for more pitching than that though. JDLC isn’t moving the needle in a trade like that, so think more along the lines of Wright or Touki.

I do agree that the only way a Ramirez trade makes sense is if the Indians overvalue both Riley and Waters.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-30-2021 at 10:46 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-31-2021), jpx7 (01-31-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    If the Braves can manage to obtain Ramirez without giving up Pache or Anderson, I'd be extremely surprised. I suppose if they value Riley enough, a package centered around Waters, Riley, and Wright could work.
    This.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-31-2021)

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Ignorant statement as usual from him
    wait, you're still here? i thought i'd heard the braves had signed you by now. keep working it sparky, which i see you are. you'll get there eventually with your imaginary GM role! we're pulling for you. 20000 posts! you are definitely on the short list for the next GM! keep going!

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It seems a bit light, but it fits the pattern the Indians have followed in their returns for Lindor and Clevenger. Lots of controllable talent that is either MLB ready or close to it. I would expect them to ask for more pitching than that though. JDLC isn’t moving the needle in a trade like that, so think more along the lines of Wright or Touki.

I do agree that the only way a Ramirez trade makes sense is if the Indians overvalue both Riley and Waters.
    The question I'd have is more quantity or quality?

I'd have no problem sweetening it to Touki rather than De La Cruz since I've all but given up on Touki as a SP - if that does it. I think he screams Closer - I understand giving guys with those types of arms every chance to adjust when you're building, but this team's close enough that if they're not ready to transition him to the pen and trading him gets you a piece like Ramirez, it's time to cash him in.

If it needs to be more quantity, I'd go as far up the depth chart as adding Muller, Shuster, Davidson, or Newk to go along with De La Cruz, but probably not higher.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-31-2021)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,395 Posts
    I know the tribe sold a lot of players already. But why would they sign Rosario and then trade a cheap mvp type player. I just don’t see this happening nor AA pulling the trigger.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I know the tribe sold a lot of players already. But why would they sign Rosario and then trade a cheap mvp type player. I just don’t see this happening nor AA pulling the trigger.
    Because you can offer Rosario during the trade deadline and get more prospects.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ixiXSolidXixi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-31-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Cleveland (like Tampa, Baltimore, Milwaukee, and Pittsburgh) is constantly in a rebuilding state. They've actually probably been the second best-run organization for a while, staying in the mix while trading pieces away. As long as they keep spacing out the pieces they bring in as well as they have, there's no reason they shouldn't be able to remain relevant in that division for a long time to come. They can probably turn Rosario into something like Aristedes Aquino who can be part of their RF platoon right away and another wildcard prospect who's a little further away. Nolan Jones is going to be ready some time this year (Riley would be Ramirez' "replacement", and Jones will slide in to replace Rosario), and Arias or Freeman will be ready to step in at either 2B or SS to save them another $5+ million next season. Langeliers would be part of their catching tandem and Waters would be their CF for a long time.

They control their entire rotation for the next 5 years other than Bieber, so they can spend all their money keeping it together if they keep adding controllable offensive pieces and arms that are farther away - given their track record when it comes to developing pitching, that's a pretty nice spot to be in.
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-31-2021 at 11:23 AM. Reason: The "Rosario" is Amed - not Eddie.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,395 Posts
    I disagree. I see them thinking they can compete with that young pitching and you g core that has some talent. Keeping JoRam is not a real risk. They can always blow him up at the deadline for a greater return. But if things break right they can easily make the playoffs. Especially if it is expanded. Outside of the Sox’s the central is not great.

And all of this is predicated to AA being willing to separate from his top prospects. Which he hasn’t. What is the highest rated prospect he has traded in the three years he has been here. And that was with a loaded system.
    Last edited by bravesfanMatt; 01-31-2021 at 10:47 AM.
    Coppy

26. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

PawPawMaxwell (01-31-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,148 Posts
    They almost certainly won’t. Everything I’ve read suggests they were allowed to increase payroll a bit to add Rosario, and they are pretty much done. They converted their expiring assets into cheaper ones in hopes of competing in 2021...sort of like a less competent implementation of the Rays strategy.

Same with the Cubs. For some reason they were allowed to spend a bit recently, so they snatched up Pederson even though they just dumped a very similar player in Schwarber.

I wonder how much those moves caught AA off guard. If he expected to be able to circle back to those guys later in the offseason, then those teams suddenly finding payroll space may have scuttled those plans.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-31-2021 at 12:09 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-31-2021)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Cleveland Plain Dealer says Ramirez is going nowhere for at least another year. He is the one solid position player among a middling lineup.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    When we get done with the Ramirez chatter the latest according to CBS sports shows Braves interest in Grichuk and Gurriel..

31. The Following User Says Thank You to PawPawMaxwell For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (01-31-2021)