Page 14 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves Trade Deadline Rumors

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunit24 View Post
    I disagree respectively. If JS had traded for a Kimbrel type closer, we have more than 1 title. Period. I agree that its easy to look back and say oh if we had this, we would have won, but to my point - You look at our roster. What can we possibly do to prevent saying "oh if we had done this, etc.." in the offseason? Dont ever be satisfied. I feel like Wren and Fredi are satisfied, and I feel like its going to bite us in the butt. Weaknesses are there. Address them. Throw odds all day long but look at a team like Pittsburgh. Ok they have the same odds no matter what they do and if they add an impact player or two, sure they odds just go up percentage points, but id much rather face Pittsburgh with the team they have right now rather than if they trade for a good SS and a good OF.
    To me the one weakness that can be addressed at a reasonable cost is a second lefty in the pen. There may be some other deals, but it all depends on what we have to send back in return. I'd love David Price, but I don't think it is realistic given Tampa is a contender and the price would be prohibitive. Headley would be nice, but I think again it depends on what we have to ship back in return. None of those trades would make us the favorites to win the WS. It would move the needle a percentage point or two, but that's all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts
    Well if it gives us a better shot to win it, im all for it. Just hope the organization isnt satisfied. Getting a second lefty and a bench player is a good start. Getting a third lefty would be even better. We have pieces to do it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    Wren and Fredi want to win more than anyone else. The notion that they are "satisfied" whereas those of us who are fans want to win more badly is just absurd. That's not the difference at all. The difference is they live in reality. A world in which there is a limit on how much they spend. A world in which other GMs are trying to extract as much as possible for the guys they make available at the trade deadline. A world in which player performance is uncertain and where you want to be careful not to overpay for rental who at the end of the day will only improve the chances of winning the WS by a small amount.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

drewdat (07-23-2013)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    We should be looking to do 2 things at the deadline.

First we should certainly consider and upgrade at 3B. Johnson has been more than fine, he's been our 6th best position player when defense is factored in but I don't want to pay him the 8 million or so he'll likely get in arbitration next year so looking to upgrade now isn't a bad idea. If we can get Headley for a respectable package we should. While he may not outhit Johnson, he'll way out field Johnson. And moving him from the meh offense of San Diego to the Braves offense and from Petco to Turner may just spark a hot streak from him. Not ot mention he's coming back from his injury so who knows.

Second we should make a move for a reliever. Either a dominant one like Jesse Crain or a lefty like Dunn. We need one reliever at least to help with our 6/7 inning work.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    We should be looking to do 2 things at the deadline.

First we should certainly consider and upgrade at 3B. Johnson has been more than fine, he's been our 6th best position player when defense is factored in but I don't want to pay him the 8 million or so he'll likely get in arbitration next year so looking to upgrade now isn't a bad idea. If we can get Headley for a respectable package we should. While he may not outhit Johnson, he'll way out field Johnson. And moving him from the meh offense of San Diego to the Braves offense and from Petco to Turner may just spark a hot streak from him. Not ot mention he's coming back from his injury so who knows.

Second we should make a move for a reliever. Either a dominant one like Jesse Crain or a lefty like Dunn. We need one reliever at least to help with our 6/7 inning work.
    What is the difference in expected wins with Headley at third rather than Johnson, and what would you be willing to give up for that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The interesting thing about the current team is that one or two of our power hitters could get hot and carry us through a playoff series or two. People like to complain about this team's inconsistency. But I don't see that as a problem. Inconsistent teams can win the WS if they get on a hot streak at the right time.
    Nail on the head right here. My hope is, get lefty bullpen help and hope the hot streak we had in the beginning of the year, happens at the end and goes right through the playoffs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    What is the difference in expected wins with Headley at third rather than Johnson, and what would you be willing to give up for that?
    This year Johnson has like a full WAR lower than Headley. And when healthy Headley has proven to be much much better (high of 7.2 fWAR)

As far as what I'd be willing to give up, I'd give up 1 premium prospect, 1 mid tier and a few throw ins. So like Wood, Cunningham, and a few others, or a lesser top prospect and go Graham, Betancourt, and a few others. I wouldn't go bonkers but I"d certainly more than kick the tires.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    This year Johnson has like a full WAR lower than Headley. And when healthy Headley has proven to be much much better (high of 7.2 fWAR)

As far as what I'd be willing to give up, I'd give up 1 premium prospect, 1 mid tier and a few throw ins. So like Wood, Cunningham, and a few others, or a lesser top prospect and go Graham, Betancourt, and a few others. I wouldn't go bonkers but I"d certainly more than kick the tires.
    What's your expectation regarding the difference in WAR between the two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,925 Posts

You should be fired on the spot. GOOD DAY SIR
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    What's your expectation regarding the difference in WAR between the two.
    Rest of the way? Or over the next year and 2 months? First one probably around 1 WAR second one probably around like 6 WAR barring injury to Headley.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    BTW just cause I'm thinking about it our lineup would be awesome

CF - Heyward
    RF - Justin
    1B - Freddie
    3B - Headley
    C - Mac
    LF - Gattis
    2B - Uggla
    SS - Simmons

Bench
    OF - BJ
    OF - Schafer
    SS/2B - Pastor
    3B/1B - Johnson
    C - Laird

That team would be sick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,916 Posts
    WTF? Trade Alex Wood to upgrade a position that has been a plus this year? Wow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post

MIND ASPLODED

-ZITO'd
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Healthy Headley > Wood

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,833 Posts
    Not that I'm necessarily in favor of such a deal involving Alex Wood, but it's hardly the insane proposition you and (especially) tapate make it out to be.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    Healthy Headley > Wood
    Value(Healthy Headley) < Value(Wood)

Where the value function is expected WAR per dollar of salary over the period of contractual control. Don't think it is even close. Those pre-arb years are pure gold. Don't underestimate.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

thethe (07-23-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Value(Healthy Headley) < Value(Wood)

Where the value function is expected WAR per dollar of salary over the period of contractual control. Don't think it is even close. Those pre-arb years are pure gold. Don't underestimate.
    Depends how good you think Wood is going to be, he could also fail in the Roto and move to the pen full time. Headley, along with Wright is going to be a top 2-3 3B in the NL for the next 6-8 years. Also, Headley has way more value around the league than Wood does and that's with Headley at his lowest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,916 Posts
    Healthy Headley > Wood
    Headley has had one good season in his career. I don't get the fascination. with him. Alex Wood has ace stuff. So sent mean he'll be an ace but I don't want to trade him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    Depends how good you think Wood is going to be, he could also fail in the Roto and move to the pen full time. Headley, along with Wright is going to be a top 2-3 3B in the NL for the next 6-8 years. Also, Headley has way more value around the league than Wood does and that's with Headley at his lowest.
    Depends on how good both players are expected to be. It is true there is more uncertainty about pitchers and about young players. But there is uncertainty about established veterans like Headley.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Headley has had one good season in his career. I don't get the fascination. with him. Alex Wood has ace stuff. So sent mean he'll be an ace but I don't want to trade him.
    Well....in 2011 he had a wRC+ of 121 with a 340 wOBA and 2012 he posts a wRC+ 145 with a wOBA of 378 and a 7.2 WAR.

I would say he's coming of 1 pretty good year and 1 great year where he showed signs of what his potential is, plus he has been insane in the field this year. I think there's plenty to be fascinated with, which is why the Padres have been getting calls on him for the last year and a half with teams offering their top prospects for him.