Page 143 of 289 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153193243 ... LastLast
Results 2,841 to 2,860 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    How about we stop ****ing around with trade proposals and prospects and just use $ to sign Donaldson? I’ve been saying this for weeks now, sign Donaldson, get 2 good years out of him, 1 average year, and 1 down year and save the prospects.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Dahl and Arenado plus $10M for Riley and Inciarte

Frazier, Happ, Yoendrys Gomez & Anthony Garcia for Newk and Ynoa

CF Acuna
    2B Albies
    1B Freeman
    3B Arenado
    LF Dahl
    RF Frazier
    SS Swanson
    C d'Arnaud

Bench - Markakis, Flowers, Culberson, Camargo, Duvall

SP: Soroka, Fried, Hamels, Folty, Happ

Pen: Smith, Melancon, Martin, O'Day, Jackson, Dayton, Minter

Melancon, Hamels and probably Happ clear after 2020. Freeman after 2021 (and possibly Arenado). Payroll would have to go to the $160 range for 2020 but would drop after 20 and potentially again after 21 (Acuna and Albies don't start getting expensive until then).

Both NY and Colorado want to move payroll. Happ has negative value so a bigger talent return.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Just a hunch, filling 3b by opening 2 other holes seems like a bad idea.
    True, but I would just re-sign JT and sign Kevin Pillar in that scenario. A small downgrade at those positions for a major upgrade at 3b.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    True, but I would just re-sign JT and sign Kevin Pillar in that scenario. A small downgrade at those positions for a major upgrade at 3b.

Da faq. That is a big downgrade and about 30 million with Bryant contract. Just pay JD at that point.
    Coppy

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Da faq. That is a big downgrade and about 30 million with Bryant contract. Just pay JD at that point.
    Lol I’m glad someone else understands.

It’s like everyone else wants to make moves to make moves. “Ok we’ll trade these players and prospects for KB. Shoot we have larger holes. Ok let’s then spend more money on inferior talent to fill them. How’d I do?” ... “well you stayed status quo at 3rd, downgraded in the outfield, slight downgrade at sp, depleted our minors a bit and spent more money on your moves than it would have cost to just re-sign JD and hold the course everywhere else. But other than that you did great!”

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tululush For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-19-2019)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    How about we stop ****ing around with trade proposals and prospects and just use $ to sign Donaldson? I’ve been saying this for weeks now, sign Donaldson, get 2 good years out of him, 1 average year, and 1 down year and save the prospects.
    Ideally we keep JD and keep our prospects but not everything is created equal.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,398 Posts
    I am down with trading for Bryant or Nolan or whoever. But let’s not pull from our starting rotation to do it. We have enormous AAA pitching depth. Use that and maybe Ender or Riley.
    Coppy

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    I am down with trading for Bryant or Nolan or whoever. But let’s not pull from our starting rotation to do it. We have enormous AAA pitching depth. Use that and maybe Ender or Riley.
    Fried arguably has more trade value than Bryant. I'm not against trading for Bryant, just depends how much it would cost. Certainly not gonna trade from our MLB rotation to basically fill a need and create another hole.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,148 Posts
    Bryant is making quite a bit less than JD will earn, is much younger, and therefore more likely to continue being an impact bat the next 2 years. He can also play the OF competently, which adds to roster flexibility. Additionally, he will undoubtedly be extended a QO in 2 years to gain his team a draft pick...JD won’t.

This new “idea” that Bryant isn’t a good option isn’t sound logic.

I agree that it makes little sense to open holes on the MLB roster to acquire him, but Bryant makes a lot of sense if he can be acquired with unproven players currently in the minors.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Bryant is making quite a bit less than JD will earn, is much younger, and therefore more likely to continue being an impact bat the next 2 years. He can also play the OF competently, which adds to roster flexibility. Additionally, he will undoubtedly be extended a QO in 2 years to gain his team a draft pick...JD won’t.

This new “idea” that Bryant isn’t a good option isn’t sound logic.

I agree that it makes little sense to open holes on the MLB roster to acquire him, but Bryant makes a lot of sense if he can be acquired with unproven players currently in the minors.
    Yeah Bryant makes plenty of sense, just basically depends what we're giving up. Pache no, Waters i'd say no, Anderson if that was the main piece yes, Fried hell no. Ender or Riley in it sure but if we moved Ender i'd try to get Happ too or another outfielder in FA/trade. The flexibility Bryant adds by being able to play in the OF, and the QO Atl would get in 2 years is a good argument for him as well.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    Lol I’m glad someone else understands.

It’s like everyone else wants to make moves to make moves. “Ok we’ll trade these players and prospects for KB. Shoot we have larger holes. Ok let’s then spend more money on inferior talent to fill them. How’d I do?” ... “well you stayed status quo at 3rd, downgraded in the outfield, slight downgrade at sp, depleted our minors a bit and spent more money on your moves than it would have cost to just re-sign JD and hold the course everywhere else. But other than that you did great!”
    The main reason I've been big on just signing Ozuna, Shaw, and Hechavarria and being done with it.

Let Donaldson go to Washington (making it tougher on them financially down the road) - that gives you the 3rd round pick back. Ozuna and a Shaw/Camargo platoon is arguably as good as Donaldson and a Markakis/Duvall platoon (and could be really good if Riley somehow makes adjustments and contact) AND keeps you from paying big money to Donaldson if he has to become a DH in a couple years. You drafted a couple of pretty exciting 1B prospects who could be available in 2 years - save that money to extend a younger Freeman (who will pretty likely take a below market deal to finish his career here) at that point.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The main reason I've been big on just signing Ozuna, Shaw, and Hechavarria and being done with it.

Let Donaldson go to Washington (making it tougher on them financially down the road) - that gives you the 3rd round pick back. Ozuna and a Shaw/Camargo platoon is arguably as good as Donaldson and a Markakis/Duvall platoon (and could be really good if Riley somehow makes adjustments and contact) AND keeps you from paying big money to Donaldson if he has to become a DH in a couple years. You drafted a couple of pretty exciting 1B prospects who could be available in 2 years - save that money to extend a younger Freeman (who will pretty likely take a below market deal to finish his career here) at that point.
    You know Ozuna got a QO too, right, or would we only lose a 4th rounder for him in hypothetical scenario. And JD takes pretty good care of his body, i dont foresee him being a DH down the line but it's still risky giving a 34 year old, 4 years.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Bowman keeps mentioning Ryu, i dont see how thats possible while adding a big bat unless money is no object. He has a Q/A, and mentions Donaldson, Ryu, that would be a bigger stunner than Will Smith was.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,021 Posts
    The money is likely a wash between Folty/Ender to JT/Pillar. May be a couple extra million at best. So no, not about 30 million with the Bryant contract.

And JT and Pillar are not huge downgrades from Folty and Ender. Folty certainly has the ability to be a 3+ WAR pitcher, but is far more likely a 2-3 WAR pitcher. Steamers is a bit bearish on him, projecting for 1.7 WAR next year of that tells you anything. JT has been a consistent 1-2 WAR pitcher and I don't see that changing. Pillar is a roughly a 2 WAR CFer and Ender is a 3 WAR CFer when healthy.

The point about JD is valid, but this assumes JD signs elsewhere. And I want no part of giving JD 4 years.
    Last edited by Carp; 12-19-2019 at 12:17 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,148 Posts
    Projected 2020 WAR

Folty 1.7
    Ender 1.4

Julio 0.5
    Pillar 1.4

Ender and Pillar may be a wash, but I'll take the over on 1.7 for Folty without hesitation. I see no point in trading away Folty and replacing him with an inferior option.

I also don't understand why the Cubs want Ender if they can just sign Pillar.

The Braves are trying to win in 2020. Fill holes without making new ones.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-19-2019 at 01:31 PM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,398 Posts
    Projected 2020 WAR

Folty 1.7
    Ender 1.4

Julio 0.5
    Pillar 1.4

Ender and Pillar may be a wash, but I'll take the over on 1.7 for Folty without hesitation. I see no point in trading away Folty and replacing him with an inferior option.

Folty being replaced by JT was my ‘say what’ moment. I know folty gets grief and rightfully so but JT isn’t even close to a healthy Folty. People are down on him because of game five. But he actually pitched well. Infield singles. Ozuna muscled a shot to right. Ff error. Yes I will take any bet Folty hits the over on 1.7.

Go get who ever you want but don’t touch the four starting pitchers
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,021 Posts
    Projected 2020 WAR

Folty 1.7
    Ender 1.4

Julio 0.5
    Pillar 1.4

I also don't understand why the Cubs want Ender if they can just sign Pillar.

Likewise, I will take the over on JT.

The part about Ender is valid, and I've mentioned this as well in regards to prior posts about pther posters' Ender trade ideas. Ender is certainly a bit better than Pillar however, and he wouldn't be the centerpiece of such a deal.

But I will agree opening up 2 holes doesn't make much sense.
    Last edited by Carp; 12-19-2019 at 01:50 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,021 Posts
    Folty being replaced by JT was my ‘say what’ moment. I know folty gets grief and rightfully so but JT isn’t even close to a healthy Folty. People are down on him because of game five. But he actually pitched well. Infield singles. Ozuna muscled a shot to right. Ff error. Yes I will take any bet Folty hits the over on 1.7.

Go get who ever you want but don’t touch the four starting pitchers
    My feelings on Folty go well beyond Game 5. He's been a headcase pretty much his entire major league career. If we can make him the centerpoint in a trade to bring back a legit star, I'm all for it.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

I highly, highly doubt Freeman remains here when his current deal is over. He’ll command a huge contract and salary and would make sense for an AL team to make a huge push for him.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    I highly, highly doubt Freeman remains here when his current deal is over. He’ll command a huge contract and salary and would make sense for an AL team to make a huge push for him.
    Freeman will almost certainly be re-signed because: 1. he's the CJ of this generation and has a similar mentality 2. The DH is coming to the NL. The MLBPA is going to require some concessions this go round and this is an obvious one, especially with market data driving comp. The DH is always an easy landing spot for the older players who can still hit but no longer play. 3. The Braves should still be clearly in their window. 4. There is "no" minor league successor on hand.