Thread: College Football Thread

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    No sour grapes here, but here me out. Last night there was something fishy going on in Lincoln. Vegas line moved over a point and a half from from Friday evening to kickoff. Nebraska was +4. Same officiating crew was in Ann Arbor and they pretty much boned MSU there as well. Blatant defensive holding calls weren't called on their secondary and last it was more of the same. Especially on the offensive line. https://instagram.com/p/90NXDRk_V3/

I firmly believe this crew is on the take. People found out about it and that's why the line moved and all that money went on Nebraska. Call it a conspiracy if you want, but it's crooked as all get up. Believe there was a 30/30 movie about sports betting changing outcomes of a game. There is definitely something to that idea.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,032 Posts
    I thought the call at the end of the game was blatantly bad. Like the White Sox dropping a fly ball-level fishy.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,016 Posts
    Call was bad but a conspiracy?? Did they conspire with the player to run out of bounds and the QB to throw it up to him? Give me a break here.

Nothing beats the officiating of the Miami/Duke game. Worst I've ever seen in any sporting event, literally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,032 Posts
    I don't see how every single official could think the guy was pushed out of bounds. That's all I'm saying.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (11-08-2015)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    It was a total screw job. Like numberone said. Not one official spoke up and said anything. I am 100 percent convinced that crew is being paid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,032 Posts
    This is a pretty bizarre situation.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...actice-boycott

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    441 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    This is a pretty bizarre situation.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...actice-boycott

I think that whole situation is strange. If I were the AD, I'd tell the kids to practice or their scholarships are pulled. You can't let the inmates run the asylum.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Krgrecw For This Useful Post:

Garmel (11-08-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,065 Posts
    This is only the beginning. It's just a matter of time before Black college athletes start demanding more. University presidents everywhere are praying this guy doesn't resign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,032 Posts
    Unless the president just refuses to do nothing ever about the incidents, or has made racist comments himself, I don't see what him resigning accomplishes. Is someone really willing to put their life on the line for this one university when you can attend any of thousands and thousands of others?

The president may be incompetent, but he may instead be making sure he has every single fact in line.
    Last edited by bravesnumberone; 11-09-2015 at 08:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,065 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Unless the president just refuses to do nothing ever about the incidents, or has made racist comments himself, I don't see what him resigning accomplishes. Is someone really willing to put their life on the line for this one university when you can attend any of thousands and thousands of others?

The president may be incompetent, but he may instead be making sure he has every single fact in line.
    And making racially insensitive remarks or gestures isn't against the law yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,065 Posts
    The Legion of Black Collegians and others (including football players) associated with the boycott at Missouri stemming from racial tension on Saturday published a list of demands they want met before things return to somewhat normalcy.

Here’s the list in its entirety:

1. We demand that University of Missouri System President, Tim Wolfe, writes a hand-written apology to Concerned Student 1-9-5-0 demonstrators and holds a press conference in the Mizzou Student Center reading the letter. In the letter and at the press conference, Tim Wolfe must acknowledge his white privilege, recognize that systems of oppression exits, and provide a verbal commitment to fulfilling Concerned Student 1-9-5-0 demands. We want Tim Wolfe to admits his gross negligence, allowing his driver to hit one of the demonstrators, consenting to the physical violence of bystanders, and lastly refusing to intervene when Columbia Police Department used excessive force with demonstrators.

2. We demand the immediate removal of Tim Wolfe as UM system president. After his removal, a new amendment to thd UM system policies must be established to have all future UM system president and Chancellor positions be selected by a collective of students, staff, and faculty of diverse backgrounds.

3. We demand that the University of Missouri meets the Legion of Black Collegians’ demands that were presented in the 1969 for the betterment of the black community.

4. We demand that the University of Missouri creates and enforces comprehensive racial awareness and inclusion curriculum throughout all campus departments and units, mandatory for all students, faculty, staff and administration. This curriculum must be vetted, maintained, and overseen by a board comprised of students, staff and faculty of color.

5. We demand that by the academic year 2017-18, the University of Missouri increases the percentage of black faculty and staff members campus-wide by 10 percent.

6. We demand that the University of Missouri composes a strategic 10-year plan on May, 1 2016 that will increase retention rates for marginalized students, sustain diversity curriculum and training, and promote a more safe and inclusive campus.

7. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding and resources for the University of Missouri Counseling Center for the purpose of hiring additional mental health professionals, particularly those of color, boosting mental health outreach and programming across campus, increasing campus-wide awareness and visibility of the counseling center, and reducing lengthy wait times for prospective clients.

8. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding, resources and personnel for the social justice centers on campus for the purpose of hiring additional professionals, particularly those of color, boosting outreach and programming across campus and increasing campus-wide awareness and visibility.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    This is only the beginning. It's just a matter of time before Black college athletes start demanding more. University presidents everywhere are praying this guy doesn't resign.
    This happened back in the day all the time. This isn't the "Beginning"

I don't agree with some of their demands, but if the timeline that was written is correct, I commend them for taking a stand. Hopefully, they force some action by the president.

I do agree though, that these guys wouldn't be doing it if they were 9-0
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

15. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-16-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,032 Posts
    The president has resigned.

No coincidence at all it comes right as the football team announces a boycott. None...

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Imagine the outrage if there were a Legion of White Collegians or any group that was only for whites.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Imagine the outrage if there were a Legion of White Collegians or any group that was only for whites.
    You are a miserable human being.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,065 Posts
    "Social change is a beautiful thing," says Marcell Frazier.

The ignorance and naivety of youth is a beautiful thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,065 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    This happened back in the day all the time. This isn't the "Beginning"

I don't agree with some of their demands, but if the timeline that was written is correct, I commend them for taking a stand. Hopefully, they force some action by the president.

I do agree though, that these guys wouldn't be doing it if they were 9-0
    What "back in the day" are you talking about? The 60's? If so, that was part of a much wider social phenom. These athletes today are doing this on their own. If they band together and stick together I wonder what else they might think they should change. You have to admit that the playing field has changed significantly. 50 years from now what will it look like?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,065 Posts
    From Christian Science Monitor. This is huge and may be a tipping point.

Walkouts and protests have been a part of campus life in America since at least the 1960s. But the unrest over racial slurs at the University of Missouri that led to the resignation of the president Monday featured 32 unusual activists – members of the football team.

The declaration of all of the team’s minority players this weekend that they would not take the field until President Timothy Wolfe stepped down may have tipped the balance, local and national press suggested. It points to a growing trend toward activism by student athletes, who in the past have tended to stay on the sidelines when it came to issues of social justice. And it comes amid a year of protests and national debate over race relations that some have likened to a new civil rights era.

“Campuses, among other spaces, have always been sites for discussing structures of oppression…. What’s different about Mizzou is that protests almost exclusively come from social justice groups. It was interesting the way athletics leveraged their power,” says Jennifer Stollman, academic director at the University of Mississippi’s William Winter Institute for Racial Reconciliation.

Last fall, Oklahoma football players skipped practice to demand punishment of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity for a racist chant caught on video. Also in 2014, for the first time in history, college football players at Northwestern University sought to unionize. (Their bid was denied by the National Labor Relations Board in August.)

“If there is one large takeaway from all that has gone on at Mizzou in the past few days, it’s that student-athletes, and football players in particular, are no longer just names and numbers,” the online sports website Bleacher Report wrote Monday. “They are a powerful group that is just scratching the surface on their potential for societal change inside and outside their university communities. More to the point, players are now combining that power with an unfiltered medium in social media.”

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory BlackwaterPark's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    You are a miserable human being.
    I fully agree with him, and its true..No such thing would be allowed.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackwaterPark For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (11-10-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,032 Posts
    Mizzou's Gary Pinkel retiring at the end of the year. Has lymphoma.