Page 15 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves Trade Deadline Rumors

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,147 Posts
    Give me a break with the Wood for Headley nonsense. I'm not very high on Wood, but even I wouldn't trade him for 14 months of Chase "flash in the pan" Headley.

This team has just as much a chance to win the WS as any team in the game right now.

JUp seems to play better when he is sufficiently motivated, so I fully expect him to go full Beltran in the playoffs this year. We have seen this offense get incredibly hot for stretches this season, and if one of those hot stretches occurs in October they will be unstoppable. If they come out in full suckmode like last night vs Gee...they will go home.

Every pitcher in the rotation (even Maholm) has the ability to completely shut the other team down on any given night. Firing Kimbrel, Walden, Avilan and possibly Medlen or Wood out of the BP is as good as any BP can be without a healthy Venters and EOF. If Wren can get one more quality BP arm, prefereably LHed, all the better.

This team certainly has the firepower to win it all. Whether or not they step up and actually do it is anyone's guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Lol at "flash in the pan"

Headley was a highly thought of prospect

Sickles had him rated as a B+ prospect, meaning he thought he had a chance to be a star.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,832 Posts
    Even if one doesn't think he's worth Alex Wood, Headley is hardly a flash-in-the-pan. I also find sort of humorous this rush to totally denigrate one player just because some don't think said player is worth a second given player.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Even if one doesn't think he's worth Alex Wood, Headley is hardly a flash-in-the-pan. I also find sort of humorous this rush to totally denigrate one player just because some don't think said player is worth a second given player.
    Yeah. Headley is a very good player. He had one really outstanding season (2012), but has been solid in some other years too. I would not project a player's future performance based on his career best season, unless it is a fairly young player. Headley is 29. I would project his future performance based on his second or third best seasons.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Give me a break with the Wood for Headley nonsense. I'm not very high on Wood, but even I wouldn't trade him for 14 months of Chase "flash in the pan" Headley.

This team has just as much a chance to win the WS as any team in the game right now.

JUp seems to play better when he is sufficiently motivated, so I fully expect him to go full Beltran in the playoffs this year. We have seen this offense get incredibly hot for stretches this season, and if one of those hot stretches occurs in October they will be unstoppable. If they come out in full suckmode like last night vs Gee...they will go home.

Every pitcher in the rotation (even Maholm) has the ability to completely shut the other team down on any given night. Firing Kimbrel, Walden, Avilan and possibly Medlen or Wood out of the BP is as good as any BP can be without a healthy Venters and EOF. If Wren can get one more quality BP arm, prefereably LHed, all the better.

This team certainly has the firepower to win it all. Whether or not they step up and actually do it is anyone's guess.
    This offense hasn't been incredibly hot since the first week of the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,709 Posts
    Got this from DOB's twitter:

@EricSoda I heard this weekend that #Braves wanted Crain, but that might be out for a while. If he's close to ready, it could happen.

This is the tweet that DOB was responding too from Eric Soda (I have no clue who Eric Soda is):

@ajcbraves Heard that Jesse Crain to #Braves is a done deal if he is healthy. That was echoed on Chciago radio this morning by Phil Rogers.
    thank you weso1!

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    WTF? Trade Alex Wood to upgrade a position that has been a plus this year? Wow.
    Rather have an MVP level 3B than a good one, call me crazy. Headley when healthy is a 4+ WAR player. Johnson's best full season was last year with 1.4. Even with a full year this year he'd be under 3. Not bad, but not a plus I'd say either. As stated above, Johnson is our 6th best everyday starter, barely ahead of Uggla.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Got this from DOB's twitter:

@EricSoda I heard this weekend that #Braves wanted Crain, but that might be out for a while. If he's close to ready, it could happen.

This is the tweet that DOB was responding too from Eric Soda (I have no clue who Eric Soda is):

@ajcbraves Heard that Jesse Crain to #Braves is a done deal if he is healthy. That was echoed on Chciago radio this morning by Phil Rogers.
    Not sure why we would trade a prospect/s for a pitcher coming off a shoulder injury, would much rather just sign Brian Wilson and just risk money and not prospects + money.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Assuming that the Braves could get Headley for Wood (or anyone else) then what would you expect in return for Johnson?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Assuming that the Braves could get Headley for Wood (or anyone else) then what would you expect in return for Johnson?
    I'd keep him around this year to be a hitter off the bench. But he should net us a nice prospect. Maybe similar value to a 7-10 on a good team's top 10.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Won't help us this year but I really hope we add Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez. But we never spend on guys like that.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Saw Crain to Atl a done deal if he's healthy. On a Chi article.

Guess we will see.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Hell no on Headley unless we got a window to sign him.

Awful move for a position that has been solid.

Bullpen is a bigger need.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    We arent getting Headley nor do we need him.

3B has been steady, cant have an AS at every spot.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,147 Posts
    All of you clamoring for Wren to make a Wood for Headley deal may no longer complain about JS making the Wainwright for Drew deal.

Headley for a package centering around Medlen, sure. If that's not enough then SD can keep their mediocre-to-good guy at 3B and continue to be terrible.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (07-23-2013)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post

That ignores the question and assumption. I dont want nor think we need Headley but Zito in his enthusiastic trade scenariios keeps wanting Headley in spite of Johnsons very good year. So what would anyone other than you, want in return for Johnson. Its just a question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post

Considering we only had 2 All stars (position player wise) and 1 was a fan vote and didn't play and 1 was an injury replacement, I would say your response makes little sense.
    Last edited by BRule; 07-23-2013 at 01:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,473 Posts
    All of you clamoring for Wren to make a Wood for Headley deal may no longer complain about JS making the Wainwright for Drew deal.

Headley for a package centering around Medlen, sure. If that's not enough then SD can keep their mediocre-to-good guy at 3B and continue to be terrible.
    I didn't really complain about Wainwright for Drew. Pitchign prospects are probably more likely to bust than not. And Headley we'd have a decent shot of keeping. Only bummer about getting Headley is it would make decisions for next year tougher financially.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,832 Posts
    All of you clamoring for Wren to make a Wood for Headley deal
    I see no such clamoring.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I like Headley a lot, but I'm against trading Wood for him. I'll do a package around Medlen, including Gilmartin, among others. But I'm not trading Wood because I'm very high on him. Same as I was against trading Minor for Beltran in the past, etc. While Headley isn't simply a rental, he's still not far enough off to be trading Wood.