Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Not that I didn’t like them, but doesn’t hurt my feelings that Julio and DK are gone.

On the other hand...I’m not entirely comfortable with what we have if no other moves are made. I would really like to see us get Ryu....
    We'll obviously make some other moves, just with how quiet AA works, it's hard to predict what move/moves that is. Hard pass on Ryu given what he's looking for.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    We'll obviously make some other moves, just with how quiet AA works, it's hard to predict what move/moves that is. Hard pass on Ryu given what he's looking for.
    What is he looking for (I haven’t really heard anything on him).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,021 Posts
    Not that it applies to Ryu, but I always wonder why we haven't dabled in the Asian market since Kawakami. Are the leftovers from the previous eras gunshy about signing semi-expensive Asian players or did we burn bridges with how we ended things with KK?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-21-2019)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Not that it applies to Ryu, but I always wonder why we haven't dabled in the Asian market since Kawakami. Are the leftovers from the previous eras gunshy about signing semi-expensive Asian players or did we burn bridges with how we ended things with KK?
    I cannot imagine there being any hard feelings over how we handled Kawakami on the other side of the water. He was mediocre for a year, really bad for a year, a minor leaguer for a year, then went back to Japan and couldn't stay healthy for five seconds at a time until he finally retired. It's not as if the Braves didn't give him enough chances before demoting him.

Edit: and if I remember correctly, he was the signing in that offseason of bad pitching signings who had missed almost the entire season prior with a back problem.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    What is he looking for (I haven’t really heard anything on him).
    4 years, 84+ million is the rumored number.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Another talked about candidate for 3rd falls. Shaw signs with Blue Jays.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,148 Posts
    $4M for Shaw. The backup plans are coming off the board.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-22-2019)

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    $4M for Shaw. The backup plans are coming off the board.
    AA is 100% all in on either JD or KB. Has to be, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    I think he’s gonna add a 4th year or go higher on the AAV for 3 years with a 4th year buy out option.

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I think he’s gonna add a 4th year or go higher on the AAV for 3 years with a 4th year buy out option.
    I hope you’re right. It’s crazy how long this is taking. It should be rather simple and quick. But instead they’re sitting there playing a game of chicken.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Shaw made a ton of sense as a backup plan and using the JD money on an outfielder.

It's basically JD, KB or Ozuna or god knows who. AA is playing a game of chicken waiting this long, if he offers a 4th year, it's basically a done deal since most reporters have said JD prefers to stay with Atl.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    There are other options at 3b that approximate Shaw if AA pivots to someone like Ozuna, but yeah, it seems like one of those guys has to happen at this point.

My guess is AA knows the “buy it now” price for JD and is just waiting on final word on Bryant before pulling the trigger on either. I still think Bryant is the better play, but it can’t go down until the ruling is official.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    There are other options at 3b that approximate Shaw if AA pivots to someone like Ozuna, but yeah, it seems like one of those guys has to happen at this point.

My guess is AA knows the “buy it now” price for JD and is just waiting on final word on Bryant before pulling the trigger on either. I still think Bryant is the better play, but it can’t go down until the ruling is official.
    Bryant is the best option IMO when looking at AA's standard operating procedure. Short term deals. Will be lots of OF options and maybe we will need to add pitching at the deadline.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,398 Posts

That is risky. JD knows waiting around could hurt him too. If the gnats get tired of waiting and pull the trigger on plan B then that could hurt JD market a bit. I know other offers are out there but how long do you sit on a four year contract while the other suitor works on a trade.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,148 Posts
    Bryant being the best option is obviously dependent on the return package not containing contributors from the MLB roster, or Pache. If the return includes Anderson or Waters, it can’t contain much else.

Riley and 2 MiLB arms seems most reasonable with the quality of those arms being the main pain point. If Ender replaces Riley in the package a new hole in the roster just opened up in the OF, which seems a bit counterproductive, but not a show stopper.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    That is risky. JD knows waiting around could hurt him too. If the gnats get tired of waiting and pull the trigger on plan B then that could hurt JD market a bit. I know other offers are out there but how long do you sit on a four year contract while the other suitor works on a trade.
    Certainly a lot of moving parts and a decision could be forced at any time. It just appears as if JDs market is linked to the outcome of Bryant’s ruling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,132 Posts
    Yeah I don’t see teams just waiting on KB to play out. Bc if JD signed and the Cubs decided not to trade Bryant then somebody is gonna get screwed. Either offer the 4th year for JD or just move on to the next option.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,832 Posts
    Yeah I don’t see teams just waiting on KB to play out. Bc if JD signed and the Cubs decided not to trade Bryant then somebody is gonna get screwed. Either offer the 4th year for JD or just move on to the next option.
    Yea, that interpretation is a little too galaxy-brain for me. It has to assume that Bryant is Plan A, that Anthopoulos is cool leaving Donaldson’s right-of-refusal hanging until he’s forced to move to Plan B (ie Donaldson, in this scenario), and that Anthopoulos is comfortable watching potential Plans C-Z go off the board because he’s both so dialed-in on Bryant and so certain Donaldson will still be there if Bryant doesn’t work out. That seems like a lot to take for granite.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    There are plausible alternatives. For example, I imagine the Reds would be open to moving one of Suarez or Senzel.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,148 Posts
    It could be faulty logic to think JD would give the Braves final refusal rights while allowing to treat him as their Plan B to Bryant.