Page 155 of 209 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157165205 ... LastLast
Results 3,081 to 3,100 of 4167

Thread: Official 2024 Off-Season Thread!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I get that he wasn't going to keep up his first half performance, but he also hit a rookie wall.
    His lackluster stuff got figured out. Unless he magically gains better stuff or pinpoint control, he shouldn’t start a playoff game.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Taijuan Walker had 2.5 WAR last year and didn’t see a playoff inning. We saw exactly why Elder wasn’t good enough. I don’t care about the regular season.
    Ranger saurez (2.4 fWAR) did

3. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-18-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Oh ye of insane logic. If you don't think there is someone out there you'd have more confidence in pitching a game 3 series than Elder than that's your perogative. Frontline may not be the description to use but better than our 3's currently would not be a bad thing. There. Got it?
    Wouldn’t that be Charles Morton ?
    Ivermectin Man

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (12-18-2023), jpx7 (12-18-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,926 Posts
    His lackluster stuff got figured out. Unless he magically gains better stuff or pinpoint control, he shouldn’t start a playoff game.
    I believe I read something that his control did suffer in the second half but also his luck regressed pretty harshly the other way (which the lady is inclined to do pretty often)
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Ranger saurez (2.4 fWAR) did
    Yeah, he made 9 less starts.

I’m not sure what your point is. 2.3 WAR is not good and does not indicate that that pitcher should start a playoff game. Morton and his 4.5 BB/9 didn’t instill much confidence, even if he were able to pitch. Elder instilled zero confidence.

The point is, an upgrade over those two would be hugely beneficial, and there are/were options out there. This upgrade would likely go a long way should an injury occur. It would likely go a long way in the playoffs. I don’t think either guy is particularly reliable come playoff time.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,773 Posts
    Yeah, he made 9 less starts.

I’m not sure what your point is. 2.3 WAR is not good and does not indicate that that pitcher should start a playoff game. Morton and his 4.5 BB/9 didn’t instill much confidence, even if he were able to pitch. Elder instilled zero confidence.

The point is, an upgrade over those two would be hugely beneficial, and there are/were options out there. This upgrade would likely go a long way should an injury occur. It would likely go a long way in the playoffs. I don’t think either guy is particularly reliable come playoff time.
    I don't wanna trade Waldrep or AJSS for a 3. I think it's just as likely one of them become a 3

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,889 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Oh ye of insane logic. If you don't think there is someone out there you'd have more confidence in pitching a game 3 series than Elder than that's your perogative. Frontline may not be the description to use but better than our 3's currently would not be a bad thing. There. Got it?
    Rangers just won the world series with nobody close to as good as fried or strider. Know how they won? Their offense kept hitting. Braves starting Elder in game 3 is at the bottom of the list of why they got bounced in 4 games.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    They lost primarily because the bats were cold, but sometimes you have to win games 2-1, 3-2, 1-0 in the postseason, as we did in 2021. We didn't have anyone to start in Game 3 to give us a chance, and we were never going to be able to score a bunch of runs on Nola in that setting. Also don't understand how we continued to serve up meat balls to Harper and Castellanos, but that's besides the point. It just doesn't make a ton of sense to bank on our current top three being enough when they haven't all been ready to go for two straight postseasons now.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    You know, I wonder if AA has reached out to his good friend Dana about Framber Valdez. After all, he drafted Bryce Elder in the 5th round as an overpay and Vaughn in the 11th after personally scouting Grissom. Not saying that’s enough, just saying Dana May value those players more than other orgs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ramadon101 View Post
    You know, I wonder if AA has reached out to his good friend Dana about Framber Valdez. After all, he drafted Bryce Elder in the 5th round as an overpay and Vaughn in the 11th after personally scouting Grissom. Not saying that’s enough, just saying Dana May value those players more than other orgs
    I would love to get him. Doubt we got the ammo though

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,032 Posts
    Ideally, no. I was replying more to your rebuff of his 2+ fWAR projection.

He isn't a great option to start a playoff game, particularly in a short series. But there is no reason he couldn't post another 2 WAR season.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-18-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,151 Posts
    Teams should fix their biggest weakness if they have the resources to do so. For the Braves that weakness is very clearly another frontline SP, however folks want to argue that distinction.

Just because this is already a 95+ win roster with upwards of a 20% chance to win a WS doesn’t mean they shouldn’t try to boost those WS chances to 21%+ if the resources are there. I would argue a legit #3 boosts the WS chances much more than all the 7th inning arms they added, so hopefully the non-elite BP arms weren’t added at the expense of a frontline SP.

I’m still holding out hope someone like stroman is added.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    249 Posts
    Not sure if this 'signing' should go here or the Bally's thread - but CJ Nitkowski hired by the Braves as an analyst for next years broadcasts

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad Dog Murph For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-18-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I don't wanna trade Waldrep or AJSS for a 3. I think it's just as likely one of them become a 3
    Just as likely as what? It’s not likely either one becomes a 3, and certainly not likely within the next season or two.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Rangers just won the world series with nobody close to as good as fried or strider. Know how they won? Their offense kept hitting. Braves starting Elder in game 3 is at the bottom of the list of why they got bounced in 4 games.
    Lol it’s at the bottom? What world are we in?

Surrendering game 3 by starting Elder in a series tied 1-1 is a pretty huge reason why the series was ultimately lost.
    Last edited by Super; 12-18-2023 at 11:08 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Ideally, no. I was replying more to your rebuff of his 2+ fWAR projection.

He isn't a great option to start a playoff game, particularly in a short series. But there is no reason he couldn't post another 2 WAR season.
    Great. A 2 war season isn’t particularly good or impressive. So what does it matter?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,151 Posts
    There’s a reason the dodgers targeted Glasnow, and it wasn’t so he could post 3 fWAR during the regular season.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,401 Posts
    Elder didn’t lose the series for the Braves. He should have never seen the line up a second time regardless of how he was doing. Not with all the rest and days off that series had built in. Elder did his job the first time through. Twitter failed game three.

Offense failed the rest of the games. Blaming elder for the braves losing is beyond dumb. Yes I would love to see another pitcher. But notbecause of some dude named Elder. That said I would rather a new manager versus a new pitcher. This team was/is good enough to win it all.
    Coppy

25. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Jaw (12-18-2023)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    523 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    At the bottom of your list as it was at the deadline? You can kick the can down the road and piece meal it together all you want. At some point you gotta outpitch your opponent when your best is not on the mound or you're not hitting. Elder wasn't it. That caliber works in the regular season. The playoffs..Meh.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,032 Posts
    Great. A 2 war season isn’t particularly good or impressive. So what does it matter?
    I would argue otherwise. That's a solid 3/4 type of pitcher. Our rotation, without anymore additions, is still probably top 5 or 6 in baseball. Most teams can't roll out a No. 3 starter in playoffs much, if any, better than Elder. And yet, Elder currently slots as our No. 4.