Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Kemp and the Quest for 1 bWAR

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    126 WRC+ on the season so far. Coming right into line with expectations. Funny how that works.
    Soon.. very soon.. you just wait.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,148 Posts
    126 WRC+ on the season so far. Coming right into line with expectations. Funny how that works.
    The pozzies were so sure he reverted back to an MVP caliber player. It was adorable, a bit like watching toddlers oogle at a guy in a Spiderman costume haha.

Now he can stop regressing. and start hitting again.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Soon.. very soon.. you just wait.
    Hope so. Otherwise he will be worse than any of us thought.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,842 Posts
    Hope so. Otherwise he will be worse than any of us thought.
    He's down to 0.1 WAR... he'll finish negative

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,361 Posts
    I'll go ahead and say Kemp is a negative for this team. He is truly awful in LF. I didn't even think it was possible to be that bad. And I can't emphasize enough: this is not the environment I want a bunch of young pitchers coming into. Defense needs to be prioritized if you're going to prioritize pitching. Thankfully, by the time the team is good, the defense should be much better.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,881 Posts
    Sadly Kemp has 2 things going against him with bWAR. Obviously one is that DRS is not as kind to him as UZR is. And Baseball ref does include double play runs so if you hit into a lot of double plays it's going to hurt you too. He's at 0.0 bWAR now. Looks like this one is done.

Also moving to fWAR the Braves corner OF duo of Nick the Stick and Kemp are 11th and 15th worst out of all qualified OF's and have combined for 1.1 fWAR. Not sure if they will produce the worst corner OF production in the majors but I have to imagine they are somewhat close. I'll take a closer look at that later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,746 Posts
    Sadly Kemp has 2 things going against him with bWAR. Obviously one is that DRS is not as kind to him as UZR is. And Baseball ref does include double play runs so if you hit into a lot of double plays it's going to hurt you too. He's at 0.0 bWAR now. Looks like this one is done.

Also moving to fWAR the Braves corner OF duo of Nick the Stick and Kemp are 11th and 15th worst out of all qualified OF's and have combined for 1.1 fWAR. Not sure if they will produce the worst corner OF production in the majors but I have to imagine they are somewhat close. I'll take a closer look at that later.
    Yeah, its most likely over... I certainly think so. That said, a few weeks ago, you said he'd just need to maintain an ops somewhere in the mid-.800s (too lazy to look it back up), so things can change quickly. Who knows... maybe kemp ends up getting red hot again and traded to an al team. Either way, I just hope the braves keep winning

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts

I think Inciarte can cover for the range deficiencies of one corner outfielder. But asking him to cover for two is a bit much.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Yeah, its most likely over... I certainly think so. That said, a few weeks ago, you said he'd just need to maintain an ops somewhere in the mid-.800s (too lazy to look it back up), so things can change quickly. Who knows... maybe kemp ends up getting red hot again and traded to an al team. Either way, I just hope the braves keep winning
    To be fair I was giving Kemp the benefit of the doubt in regards to his baserunning and grounding into double plays. He's currently -5 runs with both of those combined and he's only been that bad once in a full season and that was 2014. He's continued to lose ground in that area and I was expecting it to normalize and be an early season fluke. That could still turn around but if he's continues to be bad in both of those he would need to compensate even more with his offense. He would probably need to finish around a 900 OPS if that is the case. Either way he needs to turn it around.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think Inciarte can cover for the range deficiencies of one corner outfielder. But asking him to cover for two is a bit much.
    Sadly whatever Nick had working for him defensively last year and to start this season has completely vanished.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,148 Posts
    Kemp needs to stop normalizing and start hitting again. Just as he was just hot to start the season, he is just cold now.

I would be very surprised if he ends up with negative bWAR.

The most worrisome part of all this is the FO thinks both Kemp and Markakis are legitimately good players. Their inability to accurately evaluate MLB player value makes me doubt they can effectively patch holes on the roster when the team is ready to compete.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-02-2017 at 11:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,842 Posts
    Coming into tonight, Kemp's BWar is -0.2

He is truly terrible

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,881 Posts
    This one is over. Kemp is beyond bad right now.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Thing is, when Kemp is healthy...he is a hitting machine. He's not though, and doesn't look like he can stay healthy for long. If they are smart...they move him, even if they eat half of his contract. If he can just DH...I think he can stay healthy and produce...that's the only way for him now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,908 Posts
    Sure Kemp may be injured but this level of atrocious play is more than that. He's been terrible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Sure Kemp may be injured but this level of atrocious play is more than that. He's been terrible.
    Kemp was around 0.5 bWAR when he messed up his hamstring this time. He's attempted to play thru it and you see the results. He should be on the DL and hope he's ready to go 2nd half. He's not helping us right now and there's no way we'll ever move him continuing to run him out there lame

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    Set aside what we got in return in the trade. But imagine a team with Mallex Smith instead of Kemp in left. All the other players are the same. Which team wins more games. The one with Mallex in left. Or Kemp.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Set aside what we got in return in the trade. But imagine a team with Mallex Smith instead of Kemp in left. All the other players are the same. Which team wins more games. The one with Mallex in left. Or Kemp.
    We'd win more games with Danny Santana in left than Kemp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    We'd win more games with Danny Santana in left than Kemp
    The point being we get too caught up in thinking that the lineup needs something very specific like "right handed power bat" when a more general focus on getting as many good well-rounded players on the field as possible would serve it better.

"I am your retribution."

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    523 Posts
    I'd much rather have Kemp than Mallex. Mallex isn't a bad player, but 3 lefty OFs with no power is not good. We tried the all slap-hitters lineup a few years ago and it didn't work out so well. Kemp is sucking at the plate right now, but he's still got HR pop. We just need to stick him on the DL and let him heal.