Page 161 of 255 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171211 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,220 of 5089

Thread: Is Free Speech Under Attack in this Country?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    They need censorship because their ideas are awful and overall they are incompetent.

Look at how stupid the lecturer has shown himself to be. He has read a lot and co-opts other views but when faced with making an actual judgement he is always wrong and proves he isn't intelligent at all.

Thank you for explaining why Trump tries so hard to censor others. Love your compete lack of self awareness. How many times have you declares victory in the 2020 elections and so far all you have proven is Biden won by a larger margin.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    OTOH, for a guy trying to make a career in public relations, Gruden was way, way over the line. And we all know that the job of coach of a professional sports team is mainly about public relations and certainly about communication.

All that **** is a joke. Gruden knew very well what he was saying wasn't acceptable at the time he was saying it because he never talked like that publicly. I haven't read all the emails but I dont believe that just because someone says racist things that the person is racist. It the actions of a person that define them.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Luckily we can rest easy bc we were reliably lectured from a buffoon about how this is all private and there are no such things as slippery slopes

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (10-15-2021)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Luckily we can rest easy bc we were reliably lectured from a buffoon about how this is all private and there are no such things as slippery slopes

I largely agree with you on this. Shame on these lawmakers. It’s still not a violation of free speech, but I don’t think this is the way we ought to do things.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-18-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I largely agree with you on this. Shame on these lawmakers. It’s still not a violation of free speech, but I don’t think this is the way we ought to do things.
    You should maybe stop aligning yourself with the party consistently calling for censorship

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    856 Posts
    You should maybe stop aligning yourself with the party consistently calling for censorship
    Find me an actual party that believes this, that health care shouldn’t bankrupt you and that we should accept the pronouns of others and we have a deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Find me an actual party that believes this, that health care shouldn’t bankrupt you and that we should accept the pronouns of others and we have a deal.
    Putting pronouns in the same galaxy as free speech is insanity, especially when the pronoun group is the wedge being used to snuff out free speech. We can see this unfolding in Canada right now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,422 Posts
    for this boards purposes, why do you ( think you ) get to define " censorship" ?

This has been a playbook for years.
    Wonder where it started ... hmmm ?
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    for this boards purposes, why do you ( think you ) get to define " censorship" ?

This has been a playbook for years.
    Wonder where it started ... hmmm ?
    How do you define it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    856 Posts
    Putting pronouns in the same galaxy as free speech is insanity, especially when the pronoun group is the wedge being used to snuff out free speech. We can see this unfolding in Canada right now
    I personally view many of the arguments against Trans rights and acceptance to be discriminatory, be it conscious and malicious or not. I don’t necessarily begrudge people for not fully understanding it, but I do think it’s a major issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,054 Posts
    I personally view many of the arguments against Trans rights and acceptance to be discriminatory, be it conscious and malicious or not. I don’t necessarily begrudge people for not fully understanding it, but I do think it’s a major issue.
    I think that people generally need to be left alone to live their lives as they see fit so long as it's not hurting anyone else. If you want to put on women's clothing and call yourself "she", knock yourself out. I honestly don't care one lick. It affects me not at all.

If someone wants to call you a "he" instead of "she" then they can knock themselves out. Let them live their life as they see fit.

Believe whatever you want, say whatever you want, do whatever you want, so long as you're not infringing upon the rights of others, no one should care.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I think that people generally need to be left alone to live their lives as they see fit so long as it's not hurting anyone else. If you want to put on women's clothing and call yourself "she", knock yourself out. I honestly don't care one lick. It affects me not at all.

If someone wants to call you a "he" instead of "she" then they can knock themselves out. Let them live their life as they see fit.

Believe whatever you want, say whatever you want, do whatever you want, so long as you're not infringing upon the rights of others, no one should care.
    But words are violence according to the lgbtqiaasrcvsfhu++ group

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    441 Posts

Jordan Peterson summed it up perfectly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,054 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Jordan Peterson summed it up perfectly

That's is a pretty perfect summation. The response to what he said was completely off point. He specifically said that there has been legislation about what you can't say but that it's a foreign concept of forcing people to say something. The response was referencing times where the government has told you that you can't say something.

I do have to remind myself frequently that few countries have constitutionally mandated free speech. It's an area where the US is completely ahead of much of the world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I can't stand NHJ. I don't respect her. I think she's a dishonest race hustler, and she certainly did not deserve any award that she has been given. But this should not have been cancelled.

Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (10-20-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,916 Posts
    I am all for the left to have a platform for their ideas.

Given the choice rationale people will think they are lunatics.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I can't stand NHJ. I don't respect her. I think she's a dishonest race hustler, and she certainly did not deserve any award that she has been given. But this should not have been cancelled.

Nah. Gotta start fighting back and make them play by their insane standards

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,925 Posts
    I think Jill Biden just censored Joe Biden. Damn he’s old
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,054 Posts
    One thing I can't stand is the idea that if a limitation on speech doesn't run afoul of the first amendment then it's acceptable. There is the constitutional right to free speech and then there's the philosophical idea of free speech. The constitutional right to free speech was guaranteed based on the philosophical belief that free speech was a good thing and should be encouraged. I still hold that belief.

I honestly believe that attempts to silence speech do nothing but lend weight to the speech being silenced. It simply drives it to areas where it is harder eventually eliminate. The only true way to stop speech that you disagree with is to counter it with speech of your own. If you're in the right then eventually you'll prevail and the ideas you oppose will fall onto the ash heap of history. If you try to muzzle speech you disagree with, you're just throwing water of a grease fire.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-20-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    856 Posts

I guess my question would be this: if you knew someone who was born female and very clearly expressed herself as female, would you refer to her as ‘he’ intentionally? I feel like most people would say no, and that it would be disrespectful to continue doing so if she asked you to stop. I just don’t see why that same courtesy shouldn’t be applied to Trans people. It feels openly disrespectful and hurtful to intentionally misgender someone. I don’t think people should be thrown in prison over doing so or anything, but I’d prefer it if they stopped and considered their actions.