Thread: Let's assume there will be < 60 game regular season

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Good to see there's nothing to be surprised about - roster deadline was 3 hours ago and we've heard plenty of crickets.
    It's on IG.

No real surprises tbh, only 2 catchers i guess is a small one.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Pitchers

Catchers/Infielders

Outfielders

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Apparently the COVID-IL guys don't count against the 40-Man Roster. Must be being treated like when you place someone on the 60(45)-Day IL.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Hamels placed on 45-Day IL.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,739 Posts
    Soto for nats tested positive. This season could end up a total crap shoot on who wins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Hamels placed on 45-Day IL.
    Does that mean 45 days is the soonest we could see him or is it retroactive?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    Comargo makes the roster, and still no update on Will Smith (not on roster either).

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Does that mean 45 days is the soonest we could see him or is it retroactive?
    I heard something last night saying they could be retroactive from Monday.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    He'd be eligible either September 3rd or 4th I think. So at best they might get 3 or 4 regular season starts out of Hamels.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    An interesting thing to watch now will be to follow how many players now choose to wear a mask when playing - particularly guys like Freeman who have already had it and been knocked down by it. If Soto tested negative several times in the last week, just where in the *ell did he get it? And if it's still taking 2 days for MLB to get the tests (negative OR positive), just how many teammates might he have just infected?

Freddie in particular would have to think hard about wearing one (as should Catchers) - you'd expect that players have developed at least SOME level of trust in their teammates, and they're not going to get exposed being around them, but how much do you REALLY know about the guy you're holding on? The opposing team's hitter that's standing in the box a foot or two from you?

This probably has as much to do with the city of Pittsburgh not wanting to "double-up" and let the Jays share the stadium - all those Gnats players, coaches, and personnel flew in to NY on the same charter with Soto. Were they wearing masks on the plane? Aaron Judge is now standing at 1B with Thames (and at 2B chatting Turner up a minute later. Were they sitting with Soto on the flight?

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Umm.. you do know that there's a LESS chance (probably zero) that you'll get it if you already had it. That's how viruses work.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    Umm.. you do know that there's a LESS chance (probably zero) that you'll get it if you already had it. That's how viruses work.
    I read somewhere (probably fake news) that the antibodies last for 3 months? Considering it's a coronavirus there is likely some truth to it. Either way Freeman would be good for the remainder of the season at least.

It's a blow for the Nats though. They have lost Soto for at least two weeks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    That's not necessarily true... if it were, that'd mean you could never get the flu again if you already had it. And the antibody residence times for different coronaviruses are all over the place... some last only a few weeks... some last up to a decade or more. This is a novel virus so we simply don't know although there is some evidence that the antibodies don't last for too long... still its too early to know for sure.
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 07-23-2020 at 09:07 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-24-2020), goldfly (07-24-2020), jpx7 (07-24-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,709 Posts
    Anyone else thinking about passing on this season due to MLB embracing the BLM cult? I'm thinking about passing, but not sure. Just interested in the overall vibe.
    thank you weso1!

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Anyone else thinking about passing on this season due to MLB embracing the BLM cult? I'm thinking about passing, but not sure. Just interested in the overall vibe.
    Nah. I'm not one that is all for or against something because it leans a certain way. Tribalism is bad.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    that isn't for certain with this yet

and seem the antibodies could go away pretty fast to help fight it

so, as my doctor told me

"even though you have had it and it's not likely you would get it again. there is a chance and it most likely wouldn't be as bad as you experienced the first time but this is brand new and we are still learning about it. so, put a mask on etc"
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

18. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-24-2020)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts

lol
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

20. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-24-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,567 Posts
    Who says that they’re supporting the actual group itself and not just supporting the fact that “black lives matter”?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Who says that they’re supporting the actual group itself and not just supporting the fact that “black lives matter”?
    Good question. I think based on some of their actions they support the cult movement, or more likely they are just doing the easy corporate thing. I'm not sure which is worse though.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,567 Posts
    Good question. I think based on some of their actions they support the cult movement, or more likely they are just doing the easy corporate thing. I'm not sure which is worse though.
    Either way, I doubt it will intrude on the game much. Unless the game is on ESPN, of course.