Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Draft Position

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Remaining schedule after today. How do you see each series playing out?

3 @ philly
    4 vs mutts
    3 vs blue jays
    3 vs philly
    3 @ mutts
    3 @ Marlins
    3 vs nits
    3 vs cardinals (nothing like heyward coming in to help us secure the top pick)
    So 3 series remaining against poor teams. Really those 6 games against Philly will determine the #1 spot.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    I could see the Cardinals playing their bench scrubs the last 3 days if they have the 1 seed wrapped up by then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,749 Posts
    Those Phillies series should be interesting. The Phillies arent in Suk for Puk mode yet are they?
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Atlanta is now 3 games ahead of the #3 pick right now and just 1 game behind Philly for the top pick. It's looking more and more like a top 2 pick is in the cards unless they go on a hot streak (LOL) against the Phillies this week.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,496 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    Atlanta is now 3 games ahead of the #3 pick right now and just 1 game behind Philly for the top pick. It's looking more and more like a top 2 pick is in the cards unless they go on a hot streak (LOL) against the Phillies this week.
    What's more likely, the Braves playing over .500 against Philadelphia or vice versa?

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I really appreciate that there is no more lukewarm bull**** with this club. They are going to suck, and it's gonna be something to behold. It's admirable, is what it is.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-06-2015)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,833 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I really appreciate that there is no more lukewarm bull**** with this club. They are going to suck, and it's gonna be something to behold. It's admirable, is what it is.
    Sometimes you have to pick a side (we're at war), and I'm glad they have.

"For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Updated Monday.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (09-07-2015)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    I'd love to see the 12-game losing streak end, but if there's a team that needs to sweep Atlanta, it's Philadelphia.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    856 Posts
    I've never been more upset to see one of my teams win.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (09-07-2015)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I've never been more upset to see one of my teams win.
    Still have plenty of loseable games left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Whether the Braves pick first or fifth, they will get a great prospect. I trust this scouting staff completely.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Whether the Braves pick first or fifth, they will get a great prospect. I trust this scouting staff completely.
    Yes. They're the ones who have brought us Wisler, Banuelos, and Foltynewicz.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Updated Tuesday.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (09-08-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,749 Posts
    I wouldnt be that disappointed with the second pick but there is more too it than just whoever we pick, its also about the signing pool amount that we get.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I wouldnt be that disappointed with the second pick but there is more too it than just whoever we pick, its also about the signing pool amount that we get.
    I almost hope they DON'T have the very first pick because they might feel compelled to go pitching.

And while I certainly don't have an issue with drafting pitching if the pitcher in question is clearly the best option available at that pick, I do have an issue of going pitching by default.

It's still too early to say who is or isn't the top 5-6 players in the draft but if you are going pitching at the very top of the draft, it historically needs to be a college pitcher who isn't far away (preferably a RHP) or it needs to be a top end bat (either HS or college a la Harper or Bryant). HS pitchers at the top of the draft are pretty big gambles.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Updated Wednesday.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (09-09-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I almost hope they DON'T have the very first pick because they might feel compelled to go pitching.

And while I certainly don't have an issue with drafting pitching if the pitcher in question is clearly the best option available at that pick, I do have an issue of going pitching by default.

It's still too early to say who is or isn't the top 5-6 players in the draft but if you are going pitching at the very top of the draft, it historically needs to be a college pitcher who isn't far away (preferably a RHP) or it needs to be a top end bat (either HS or college a la Harper or Bryant). HS pitchers at the top of the draft are pretty big gambles.
    It was a long time ago, but once upon a time they had very early picks in consecutive years and my recollection is they chose three hitters: Tyler Houston, Chipper Jones, Mike Kelly.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/20...ool-prospects/

25. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Horsehide Harry (09-09-2015)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    It was a long time ago, but once upon a time they had very early picks in consecutive years and my recollection is they chose three hitters: Tyler Houston, Chipper Jones, Mike Kelly.
    Jones was a HOF.

Houston had a long MLB career. (at least parts of 8 years) but he was taken early as a catcher which is very risky. Only 5-10 1st round picks that year had better careers with the true misses being Frank Thomas (7), Mo Vaughn (23), Chuck Knoblach (25), Charles Johnson (10), with Ben McDonald (1) the only pitcher with a clearly better career. 1st round of this draft was a true wasteland of pitchers.

Kelly was a bust although he did get in parts of 6 seasons. He was taken second in what was a forgettable draft behind Brien Taylor and ahead of Dave McCarty, Dimitri Young, Ken Henderson, Johns Burke, etc. You have to go down to 13th Manny Ramirez, 14th Cliff Floyd, and 16th Shawn Green to get into memorable players unless you want to call the Meathook memorable (certainly more memorable than Kelly).

One HOF, one useful major leaguer and one bust in three years.

The four seasons previous to the CJ draft had the Braves taking Greene, Merker, Lilliquist and Avery. Not bad by any means and none taken as high as the hitters but all had significant injury problems, with Greene being given away essentially, Merker bouncing between starting and LR throughout his very useful career, Lilliquist busting and Avery flaming out quickly after a very strong ML start.

The idea that the Braves are some iconic pitching organization, especially when it comes to drafting and development of what the industry thinks is top end first round starters, is pretty much a myth. Now, the Braves have likely been as successful or maybe more so than most others in finding good value with starting pitching in rounds 2-30 which I would attribute to the Braves willingness for years to draft HS arms based on projection - examples being Glavine, Millwood, Schmidt, Wohlers, Wade (FA), Woodall (College), Stanton (CC) etc.

The Braves pitching reputation was largely built on the backs of Glavine (2), Smoltz (trade), Maddux (FA) and to a certain extent Avery (1), Neagle (Trade), Millwood (11).

Now, I am not saying that I am not excited about Allard. I am but mainly because of his status as HS and his projection.

Bottom line, I worry that the front office has bought into the myth and whenever possible defaults to pitching. I would like to see them at least look at the bats available come next June.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

NYCBrave (09-09-2015)