Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gary Sheffield Comments On Current Braves

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ#1FAN View Post
    Problem is Freddie refuses to be moved from the #3 spot. Heyward should be that guy, we all talked about this when he was called up that he was going to replace Chipper as the #3 hitter.

Freddie should be hitting cleanup. Plain and simple. He is the classic cleanup hitter, whereas J-Hey is the classic #3 hitter.
    Last time I checked, the lineup card was Fredi and Wren's responsibility - can't imagine Freddie gets consulted.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,834 Posts
    I care about as much about what Gary Sheffield has to say about the 2014 Braves as I do about JD Drew's two-cents on the subject.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

57Brave (09-24-2014), Braves1976 (09-24-2014), Julio3000 (09-25-2014), Runnin (09-25-2014)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I care about as much about what Gary Sheffield has to say about the 2014 Braves as I do about JD Drew's two-cents on the subject.
    I think his time as a player may have swollen Gary Sheffield's head on the topic.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    heyward's been a MASSIVE bust.
    i don't think you know what a "MASSIVE bust" is if you think Heyward is one

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

57Brave (09-24-2014), Braves1976 (09-24-2014), jpx7 (09-24-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    there's no debating it.

Playing the Waiting Game BremanFan88's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Sorry, but those are some pretty empty numbers when you're trying to piece together a lineup to win baseball games. The vast number of those numbers have come with Jason hitting at the top of the lineup. The offense has been more successful when he's been hitting leadoff, and that's been pretty obvious to statheads as well as scoutheads.

"An above average offensive player who is elite at base running and defense" is great as long as you don't build your offense around him. Heyward has as many tools as anyone not named Trout or McCutchen, and projects as that kind of player. The problem is that the organization hasn't defined his role - if he's really that good, put him in the #3 hole and leave him alone. Tough to pitch around him if J-Up and Freddie are hitting behind him.
    I honestly don't know what you're trying to say. I just merely pointed out Jason's career numbers. And where he hits hasn't really been an issue. The majority of his ab's have come from the top 3 spots in the order and he's been good there. He's been above average in the 1st, 2nd, 6th and 8th spots. Average in the 3rd, 5th and 7th. Below average in the 9th spot with a very small sample size and he's never batted cleanup. I think Jason would be great in the 3rd spot though. 2nd and 3rd are where his talents would really shine but you have to have a manager that understands these things.

Your best base runners should get as many ab's as possible. I will never understand batting Heyward behind Freddie and JUp. It makes absolutely no damn sense. I'm afraid that if Fredi is retained he's going to keep batting Freeman 3rd no matter what and Jason will be stuck in the 5 spot where he's not getting any protection unless Gattis is playing and of course two of are better hitters are getting lesser ab's because Fredi puts them 5th and 6th now. Not to mention all the double play candidates that will be hitting behind Jason... Fredi and guys like Brian Jordan think Heyward should be a player that "drives in runs" but what they don't understand is that Heyward is a "run producer". You have guys that get RBi's because there are people on base for them and that's the extent of the runs they can produce. Jason can drive runs in but he also can make things happen on the base paths that produce runs for his team. He is tremendous running the bases and putting pressure on the defense and even when the defense is in a position to get him out he still manages to get around tags. Plain and simple is that Jason Heyward makes things happen and it's great to watch.
    All you need is Hart and Cox.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Jason Heyward has 5.3 WAR on the year, which is 8th in the NL. Yeah. He's a bust.
    Most of which is derived from his elite defense. Many were expecting a potential MVP candidate with the bat, it just hasn't turned out that way, YET. He hasn't even reached his prime yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Power is the only thing about him that's been disappointing, and that's only been since he got hit in the face last year. He's the best player on the team. Hardly a bust.
    Power isn't the ONLY thing......Multi-hit games, too.
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BRule For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (09-24-2014)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,904 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BremanFan88 View Post
    The rest of our players must be garbage then because Heyward is the best player on the team. And Gerardo Parra? Seriously? If you can't tell the massive difference between the two then I'm not sure baseball is a game you should be following. Good lord.

Heyward destroys Parra in everything.

wOBA: .345 - .314
    wRC+: 117 - 91
    ISO: 168 - 122
    BB%: 11.1 - 6.7
    WAR: 21.5 - 10

Not to mention Jason is an elite base runner. I will take an entire team of Jason Heywards and we would win a lot of championships.

When did an above average offensive player who is elite at base running and defense get labeled a bust? Maybe he should take a little something extra like Mr. Sheffield did...

Same reason Andruw Jones was considered a disappointment. Some people can't be happy with the player we have and think that anything less than Willie Mays or Mike Trout is disappointing and a bust. There rarely is a perfect player (about one per generation) even if they are hyped as one in the minors.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (09-24-2014), BremanFan88 (09-24-2014)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    Power isn't the ONLY thing......Multi-hit games, too.
    nice.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

BremanFan88 (09-24-2014), jpx7 (09-26-2014)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Wow, I can find at least 30 things to find wrong with this team ahead of Heyward. Only Braves fans could bitch and moan about one of the top players and not say a word about the guys that are actually awful.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Most of which is derived from his elite defense. Many were expecting a potential MVP candidate with the bat, it just hasn't turned out that way, YET. He hasn't even reached his prime yet.
    Exactly. As I said he has time to turn it around. But the reason he has such a high WAR is because of his defense.

Playing the Waiting Game BremanFan88's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts
    I love how being a great defender and base runner is somehow not as important as offense. Sounds like the typical college football fan who thinks a great game has a score that ends 64-63. Screw defense and special teams. That crap doesn't matter right? I hate to break it to you guys but there are other facets of the game of baseball that are more important than offense. Hell the playoffs aren't about offense. Small ball and defense will get you further because of how good the pitching is come playoff time. Waiting around for the 3-run homer is why the Braves haven't done crap in the playoffs for 15 years and a player like Heyward who will save you runs AND create runs on the bases is somehow seen as not important.

I'm sorry he hasn't become Mike Trout but stop acting like he isn't a very good player INCLUDING on offense who has the potential to be even better. It's silly. Oh know he's really good at defense. How pathetic. This sounds just like everyone that was mad at Andruw for not being ARod. I still remember all those fans calling him a "bust". I guess finding a CF to replace him has gone pretty smoothly so far...
    All you need is Hart and Cox.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ml...ths-to-ignore/

Scroll down and see what they have to say about the myth of small ball in the playoffs. Good read.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    I'm sorry he hasn't become Mike Trout but stop acting like he isn't a very good player INCLUDING on offense who has the potential to be even better. It's silly. Oh know he's really good at defense. How pathetic. This sounds just like everyone that was mad at Andruw for not being ARod. I still remember all those fans calling him a "bust". I guess finding a CF to replace him has gone pretty smoothly so far...
    Well then, since he has all of this offensive "potential" that we've been hearing for years, lets go ahead and give him that 10 year 250 million dollar contract that a player of his "potential" deserves. You know, just in case he ever lives up to that "potential" we keep hearing about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    To me, Heyward is more in the mold of Devon White (but can take a walk) or Kenny Lofton. He's just SO big, that we want him to be a power hitter. I just don't see that in his swing. Doesn't maintain good plane, which results in groundballs and for some reason has trouble staying inside of the baseball consistently (again, groundballs to 2nd). He is too handsy and gets out in front of the baseball too soon.

Heyward can be terrific. We just need to redefine what we think he is. He's a slash hitter, gap to gap. When he learns to stay in that leftcenter field lane more often, he will maximize his value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    To me, Heyward is more in the mold of Devon White (but can take a walk) or Kenny Lofton. He's just SO big, that we want him to be a power hitter. I just don't see that in his swing. Doesn't maintain good plane, which results in groundballs and for some reason has trouble staying inside of the baseball consistently (again, groundballs to 2nd). He is too handsy and gets out in front of the baseball too soon.

Heyward can be terrific. We just need to redefine what we think he is. He's a slash hitter, gap to gap. When he learns to stay in that leftcenter field lane more often, he will maximize his value.
    That's all true except it's hard to define a player as "gap to gap" when he so rarely reaches the gap. He only has 25 doubles and that number is inflated because of his speed. 40 year old Jeter has 19 real doubles. Jason should bunt more. With his speed many would be hits and the threat might force the infield in, helping him with the ground balls.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Waiting around for the 3-run homer is why the Braves haven't done crap in the playoffs for 15 years and a player like Heyward who will save you runs AND create runs on the bases is somehow seen as not important.
    Yeah, you watch MLB Network for the highlights, there he is watching strike 3 whizz by.

This sounds just like everyone that was mad at Andruw for not being ARod. I still remember all those fans calling him a "bust". I guess finding a CF to replace him has gone pretty smoothly so far...
    A certain segment of Braves fandom refuses to accept that Andruw Jones sucked ass wind during his last season and continued to do so with his big contract from the Dodgers. Those same fans were probably still messing their collective shorts about Jordan and Mondesi, who cost next to nothing.

Everybody who watched during the prime era knew what AJ could do. Other than that, if you think that there were this lack of acceptance around baseball, the HOF voters are going to shrug and realize that "yeah, he performed great in CF for this period of time, but was NEVER the best at any major offensive category for one year, let alone a succession of years." So, you and Zito just need to let this go, and stop spending so much idle time at Fangraphs. He's not getting into the HOF. Go visit the place. Only 200 or so players made it from baseball history. Think about it.

Dale Murphy had legitimate claim to being among the elite during the 80's. Pitchers feared him. Nobody ever lost sleep about facing Andruw Jones. Besides, voters will look at the significant drop off and think "'roids." Bonds, McGuire and Sosa are not going to get a whiff. So, there's no reason to think that Andruw Jones will.

While visiting the HOF exhibits, a father and son were looking at an exhibit of current Braves. They said aloud how it featured "potential future HOFers." You see Freeman has at least demonstrated MVP capability, whereas Heyward's one All Star appearance doesn't cause as big of a stir. These two seriously thought that Heyward was The Man. Maybe he could be, but what has he accomplished? What has he done to help his team win?
    Last edited by Knucksie; 09-26-2014 at 09:13 PM.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,006 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Same reason Andruw Jones was considered a disappointment. Some people can't be happy with the player we have and think that anything less than Willie Mays or Mike Trout is disappointing and a bust. There rarely is a perfect player (about one per generation) even if they are hyped as one in the minors.
    I'm not going to dump on Heyward, but you aren't seriously comparing him to Andruw Jones are you?