Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Juan Francisco

Playing the Waiting Game BremanFan88's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I agree with you. I'm not ready to toss CJ yet. I think he's closer to the guy we saw in '13 than '14. He lost his stroke and got away from his approach trying to hit for power.
    His 13' season is based entirely on an unsustainable BABIP and if he was trying to hit for power last season then he failed miserably because that was the worst power season of his career.
    All you need is Hart and Cox.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BremanFan88 View Post
    His 13' season is based entirely on an unsustainable BABIP and if he was trying to hit for power last season then he failed miserably because that was the worst power season of his career.
    He did fail miserably. And guys who hit as many line drives as he did in 2013 always have extraordinarily high BABIPs.

BABIPs aren't luck. You don't accidentally have a .390 BABIP. He was a line drive machine. Line drives are base hits.

Stop trying to be a prick about everything. Go get laid. Get drunk. Have fun. He's gone. This is not healthy for you.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,881 Posts
    He did fail miserably. And guys who hit as many line drives as he did in 2013 always have extraordinarily high BABIPs.

BABIPs aren't luck. You don't accidentally have a .390 BABIP. He was a line drive machine. Line drives are base hits.

Stop trying to be a prick about everything. Go get laid. Get drunk. Have fun. He's gone. This is not healthy for you.

Yes you do. Having a BABIP in the 350 range is one thing. 390 is something else entirely. And guess what, his BABIP in 2014 was .345 which is only 9 points below his career avg. Yes he is a line drive machine when he makes contact. But his strikeout rate was 26% which is atrocious. He also never walks and has no power anymore. So yes the few times he does make contact it's likely a line drive hit. That's awesome. But the rest of his game sucks. He either needs to cut down on the K's or increase his power.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Yes you do. Having a BABIP in the 350 range is one thing. 390 is something else entirely. And guess what, his BABIP in 2014 was .345 which is only 9 points below his career avg. Yes he is a line drive machine when he makes contact. But his strikeout rate was 26% which is atrocious. He also never walks and has no power anymore. So yes the few times he does make contact it's likely a line drive hit. That's awesome. But the rest of his game sucks. He either needs to cut down on the K's or increase his power.
    mfree, the 2015 World Series will feature the thewupk BABIPs against the Zito WARs. Vegas has no line, because they're just gonna add 'em up and hand out the trophy.

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BremanFan88 View Post
    A .309 OBP is the definition of needing to be platooned.
    It should be .319 I hit the wrong key
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    I doubt we bring in Francisco. Seitzer already had a go at him last year, and the dude was complete garbage in the second half. I doubt Seitzer hasn't already tried to fix him.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,832 Posts
    I stuck with him in 2013 because it was really damn fun, even though I always knew he was—ultimately—only as good as 2011-12; and 2014 proved that.

Sorry y'all: Chris Johnson is a garbage player.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Prikichi (12-06-2014)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,881 Posts
    mfree, the 2015 World Series will feature the thewupk BABIPs against the Zito WARs. Vegas has no line, because they're just gonna add 'em up and hand out the trophy.
    Facts hurt bro

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,038 Posts
    Facts hurt bro
    The underpinnings of your "facts" are quite subjective. Thus, they are an accumulation of opinions.

A whole bunch of little opinions bundled together don't make a fact.

I am perfectly willing and capable of understanding new ways of measuring who is good at baseball. However, I don't take them at face value. If you do, that's just fine. Don't expect everyone to take your opinions as gospel. God bless

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,881 Posts
    The underpinnings of your "facts" are quite subjective. Thus, they are an accumulation of opinions.

A whole bunch of little opinions bundled together don't make a fact.

I am perfectly willing and capable of understanding new ways of measuring who is good at baseball. However, I don't take them at face value. If you do, that's just fine. Don't expect everyone to take your opinions as gospel. God bless
    I don't expect everyone to take my opinions as gospel. But when I do give my opinion I'd rather have actual intelligent responses instead of nonsense. That said if you can show me why Johnson would be likely to have another 390 BABIP then I'm willing to listen.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I think Johnson is capable of many good things if he would only relax and not take on every game like it was WWIII.

His competitive streak was too often self-destructive, but by Golly it was the only competitive streak visible at times last year.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Just do a simple Google image search on Juan Francisco. That should tell you why he was traded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    I personally think that it would be wise to get someone like Descalso or Kelly Johnson for a couple reasons:

1. They can play multiple positions
    Descalso- 2B/SS/3B
    Johnson- 3B/2B/1B/OF

2. In the case of Descalso -and Johnson to a certain extent- they can enter as a defensive replacement for CJ late in games.

3. To me the most important reason is because they wouldn't cost much and are comfortable in a reduced role. I say this because I truly believe we will see a CJ that produces closer to his career average. - .273/.319/.411 against RHP and .312/.349/.443 against LHP- Which wouldn't require a platoon with someone other than the normal off-days and maybe a day off against tough righties.

Just my opinion.
    Platoon splits do tend to have a lot of volatility over short samples. Which means that CJ's career splits are a better predictor than his 2014 splits. Btw the same is even more true for relievers, who have even smaller samples each season. So expect James Russell to have splits in 2015 that more closely resemble his career numbers.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Just do a simple Google image search on Juan Francisco. That should tell you why he was traded.
    If you are referring to the tonnage he frequently carries, I thought he had lost a fair amount in the spring but was packing it back on? In other words, he was probably in better shape with the Braves than any of the other stops he had along the way because he knew he couldn't settle for DH'ing. But the man has upper deck power. You can't tell me he wouldn't have been the best bat on the bench last year had they kept him around.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-06-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,038 Posts
    I don't expect everyone to take my opinions as gospel. But when I do give my opinion I'd rather have actual intelligent responses instead of nonsense. That said if you can show me why Johnson would be likely to have another 390 BABIP then I'm willing to listen.
    I don't think he is apt to have another .390 year. I do think he's a lot better than he hit last year, when he had a 3% walk rate and a 25% K rate. Like you, I think that's atrocious and we can't have that kind of non-production at third.

But I don't think he's that guy. I like the path his bat takes through the hitting zone when he's right. He stays on plane for a long time. Having said that, the key word in there is "long". He is long and prone to Ks, certainly moreso than the usual line drive hitter, who has a quick stroke and waits on the ball. He started trying to hit the ball out of the ballpark and got messed up. He's more of a 15 homer - 40 double kind of guy. He needs to get back to what was working, which was a little shorter swing and waiting, going the opposite way and not pulling the trigger so early on breaking balls. I think he can and he's going to have the right hitting coach.

Defensively, he's not particularly athletic and a little stiff with limited range. He works hard and catches what he gets to, though, rarely makes a mistake, anticipates well. He makes the plays he needs to make, no more.

And if there was ever a clubhouse in need of fire, it's this one. He's a bit of an asshole. I like that.

I don't think he's a .321 hitter. I think hes a .300 hitter with gap power.

So that's my almost entirely subjective take. I did use stats, but I used them differently than you did. I had a sense of what was going on, then buttressed it with stats. Sometimes I'm surprised. I don't think I am here.

Not everything that can be counted matters, and not everything that matters can be counted. -Albert Einstein

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    Continuing with splits for 500...

Descalso has reverse splits (very pronounced in 2014, less so but still reverse for his career). KJ also has reverse splits (both in 2014 and career), and Callaspo (a switch hitter) has hit left-handed pitching better for his career (though in 2014 he hit righties better). So none of those three is ideal as complements for the right handed hitters we have at third and second. I do think KJ and Callaspo are clearly better than Descalso. All three are more versatile than Francisco. If I were to rank them in terms of how much they could help the Braves in 2015 it would be KJ, Callaspo, The Juan, and Descalso.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,881 Posts
    I don't think he is apt to have another .390 year. I do think he's a lot better than he hit last year, when he had a 3% walk rate and a 25% K rate. Like you, I think that's atrocious and we can't have that kind of non-production at third.

But I don't think he's that guy. I like the path his bat takes through the hitting zone when he's right. He stays on plane for a long time. Having said that, the key word in there is "long". He is long and prone to Ks, certainly moreso than the usual line drive hitter, who has a quick stroke and waits on the ball. He started trying to hit the ball out of the ballpark and got messed up. He's more of a 15 homer - 40 double kind of guy. He needs to get back to what was working, which was a little shorter swing and waiting, going the opposite way and not pulling the trigger so early on breaking balls. I think he can and he's going to have the right hitting coach.

Defensively, he's not particularly athletic and a little stiff with limited range. He works hard and catches what he gets to, though, rarely makes a mistake, anticipates well. He makes the plays he needs to make, no more.

And if there was ever a clubhouse in need of fire, it's this one. He's a bit of an asshole. I like that.

I don't think he's a .321 hitter. I think hes a .300 hitter with gap power.

So that's my almost entirely subjective take. I did use stats, but I used them differently than you did. I had a sense of what was going on, then buttressed it with stats. Sometimes I'm surprised. I don't think I am here.

Not everything that can be counted matters, and not everything that matters can be counted. -Albert Einstein
    I would agree with most of that. I do think his 2015 will be pretty close to his 2012 line but with less power. That still profiles as an average at best player. And while that's quite a bit better then what we got last year it still needs to be improved upon. The best course of action is to find someone to platoon with CJ. He's excellent against lefties and not so mcuh against righties.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,038 Posts
    I
    I would agree with most of that. I do think his 2015 will be pretty close to his 2012 line but with less power. That still profiles as an average at best player. And while that's quite a bit better then what we got last year it still needs to be improved upon. The best course of action is to find someone to platoon with CJ. He's excellent against lefties and not so mcuh against righties.
    There's major hidden value in platoons that a team like ours really needs to take advantage of. That's how a mid market team takes some average players and makes them better than they appear at first blush (see Sabean and Bochy). nsacpi is talking about that,too.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,038 Posts
    Chris Johnson might actually be good if he wouldn't swing at every. single. low and away offspeed pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Chris Johnson might actually be good if he wouldn't swing at every. single. low and away offspeed pitch.
    When you're that long, you have to pull the trigger while the ball's still in the pitcher's hand.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-06-2014), UNCBlue012 (12-06-2014)