Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Immaculate Team?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    Of course Enscheff focuses on something as silly as FANS using "we" when talking about their favorite team.

I love Enscheff.

He's a pedant nerd's pedant nerd.
    Did I focus on it, or did I make a quick snarky comment? I’m never going to go on that dinner date you’ve been begging for if you keep this up.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The real solution is to back the truck up for Ohtani and backload it to where the 2024 hit isn't much. Use Frieds and Ozunas expiring 2024 money to pay for it.
    Ohtani isn’t coming to Atlanta now for the same reason Atlanta wasn’t an option for his first contract. And it has nothing to do with money.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Ohtani isn’t coming to Atlanta now for the same reason Atlanta wasn’t an option for his first contract. And it has nothing to do with money.
    What were those reasons? That Atlanta didn't have the DH and his manga hero played for the Angels? Don't think those reasons matter anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    I dont think money will be the deciding factor for Ohtani. I think he wants to be on a winning team and preferably on the west coast. Even if he would consider us its just to much money to invest in one pitcher. We cant lose a top tier hitter and starter at the same time for the same injury. And I have serious doubts he can keep this up to not be an absolute albatross the final few years of his contract. Beyond that I would be worried about pissing off the other players on the team who took less money. Imagine trying to re-sign Acuna in a few years and trying to get him to take less to stay when we are paying Ohtani 50+ million a year. The only way I see it as being viable is if Ohtani wanted to come here and was willing to take a significant discount like 10 years 500 million and we knew that we could recoup a lot of that money in upcoming TV deals. I know we are nearing the end of our abysmall TV deals and Ohtani could certainly be seen as a draw that nets us a few extra hundred million dollars kind of like the Angels with Pujols. If the contract wasnt going to be for absurd amount of years I would think we had a non-zero number chance. He has to go to a team that can eat a 50 million a year bad contract like its pennies which narrows it down to about 6 teams.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,496 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I dont think money will be the deciding factor for Ohtani. I think he wants to be on a winning team and preferably on the west coast. Even if he would consider us its just to much money to invest in one pitcher. We cant lose a top tier hitter and starter at the same time for the same injury. And I have serious doubts he can keep this up to not be an absolute albatross the final few years of his contract. Beyond that I would be worried about pissing off the other players on the team who took less money. Imagine trying to re-sign Acuna in a few years and trying to get him to take less to stay when we are paying Ohtani 50+ million a year. The only way I see it as being viable is if Ohtani wanted to come here and was willing to take a significant discount like 10 years 500 million and we knew that we could recoup a lot of that money in upcoming TV deals. I know we are nearing the end of our abysmall TV deals and Ohtani could certainly be seen as a draw that nets us a few extra hundred million dollars kind of like the Angels with Pujols. If the contract wasnt going to be for absurd amount of years I would think we had a non-zero number chance. He has to go to a team that can eat a 50 million a year bad contract like its pennies which narrows it down to about 6 teams.
    Agreed, if he truly wants to win and that is his number one priority, there are really just a few teams out there.

Dodgers, Padres, Mets, Yankees that can afford the money. Teams like the Astros and Braves are set up to be good for years to come, but wouldn't come close to that contract.

I still think he ends up with the Dodgers or Padres.

The Mets will go after him hard, but will probably have to pay a lot more to lure him to the east coast. Especially with the season they are currently having.
    Get off my lawn!

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    I think he stays on the West Coast. Been saying Dodgers for a bit, just curious what kinda contract he ends up getting.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,393 Posts
    He is going to get 60 million most likely.

The Angels will be so dumb if they don't just trade him now. Heck, I would probably trade Trout and Show Hey if the right package came along. That would be a tough pill to swallow for the Angels owners and fans, but doing a complete rebuild could put them in so much better shape in about 3 years.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,013 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    What were those reasons? That Atlanta didn't have the DH and his manga hero played for the Angels? Don't think those reasons matter anymore.
    Guessing he's talking about Atlanta not being a big enough media market for Ohtani and playing on the West Coast. Also, there isn't a very large Asian community in Atlanta, if that matters to Ohtani (probably not).

Only other thing I can figure is our seemingly lack of interest in the Japanese league players (and Japanese players in general). We haven't pursued any such players since Kawakami flopped. Probably coincidental, but may be not?
    Or could we have built a bad reputation within Japanese community after what happened with Kawakami? Again, seems unlikely there as well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-10-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,147 Posts
    Believe it or not, Atlanta, and the South in general, doesn't hold the international appeal for foreign players that some may think it does. I'm sure this will cause a lot of crying in this thread by who aren't bothered by (or agree with) every negative association that region of the planet carries.

I'd be shocked if the Dodgers don't end up with Ohtani. They quite clearly did a soft reset on their payroll to make a huge run at him.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-10-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,564 Posts
    Believe it or not, Atlanta, and the South in general, doesn't hold the international appeal for foreign players that some may think it does. I'm sure this will cause a lot of crying in this thread by who aren't bothered by (or agree with) every negative association that region of the planet carries.

I'd be shocked if the Dodgers don't end up with Ohtani. They quite clearly did a soft reset on their payroll to make a huge run at him.
    Agreed.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,317 Posts

Whether Atlanta appeals to international players is beside the point. Japanese players, like every other ethnicity, have consistently signed with the highest bidder (I can’t recall a single Japanese or Korean player on the SF Giants despite its huge Asian population in the Bay). Questions about winning, location, manager, etc. barely move the needle other than serving as a tiebreaker.

Ohtani is probably going to sign with the Mets or Dodgers because they will offer the most money.
    Last edited by chop2chip; 07-10-2023 at 06:11 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Garmel (07-10-2023), jpx7 (07-10-2023), zedsdead (07-11-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,343 Posts
    The Braves have a good amount of foreign born players so I have no idea where this **** is coming from. I will agree that Ohtani will be a Dodger.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,147 Posts
    This is probably true.

I'd bet on the Dodgers.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    The Braves have a good amount of foreign born players so I have no idea where this **** is coming from. I will agree that Ohtani will be a Dodger.
    I know you don't, and your inbred friends don't either. That's part of the problem with the entire region.

The fact you compare kids signing at 16 to someone like Ohtani speaks volumes. Complete and utter ignorance of how the rest of the world perceives you, and why they do.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,343 Posts
    I know you don't, and your inbred friends don't either. That's part of the problem with the entire region.

The fact you compare kids signing at 16 to someone like Ohtani speaks volumes.
    Lol! Go get some mental help, dumb ****. I just killed your stupid, bigoted response with facts so you have to go in attack mode.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Whether Atlanta appeals to international players is beside the point. Japanese players, like every other ethnicity, have consistently signed with the highest bidder (I can’t recall a single Japanese or Korean player on the SF Giants despite its huge Asian population in the Bay). Questions about winning, location, manager, etc. barely move the needle other than serving as a tiebreaker.

Ohtani is probably going to sign with the Mets or Dodgers because they will offer the most money.
    Former met Tsuyoshi Shinjo played for the Giants for a year (just remember him from the NLDS when we lost that year even with our immaculate bullpen, thanks to Glavine having an awful series).
    Forever Fredi

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Enscheff attacking the South, which has by far the largest amount of African Americans in the country, is concerning behavior, and it’s typical of the lily white baseball nerds that have largely ignored urban America since the 1960s.

Yikes. You couldn’t pay me to live in Reno.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,918 Posts
    I mean you got way more Asian populations in Georgia than say- Nevada.

As for “how much”, Census data back to 1980 reveals the consistently high rates of growth in the Asian population, nationally, and at the state of Georgia level. In fact, from 1980 to 2000, Georgia’s Asian growth rate was 1st among all states, at over a 400% increase compared 125% for the nation as a whole. Georgia had nearly 145,000 more Asians in 2000 than in 1980. Over the last 20 years, growth rate of the Asian population in Georgia continued (at 175%) to exceed the national rate of increase (93%).

Just the numbers.
    Ivermectin Man

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (07-10-2023), Hudson2 (07-10-2023), jpx7 (07-10-2023), SJ24 (07-10-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,918 Posts
    It will come down to money with Ohtani.

Just like it does with all other clubs and FAs

And it will still be the Dodgers
    Ivermectin Man

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-10-2023)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Dodgers have been linked to Ohtani for years. Like Scheff said, they reset their payroll for a reason. Would be surprised if they didnt do everything in their power to land him. A top 4 of Betts-Freeman-Smith-Ohtani would be a pain in the ass to get through.