Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grilli Close To Being Moved???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,918 Posts
    Moving him sooner may net you better value? I'll pack his stuff for him if he gets us that quality.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    I doubt we only get something marginal. He's extremely affordable the next two years and has been really productive. if it were just marginal, i'd keep him for at least the next year.

I think the fact that we're in trade talks regarding him is a clear sign the FO is acknowledging we aren't looking to buy or compete this year. How can that be construed any other way? The fact we're considering it makes it clear we are not going to buy.
    We were never going to be buyers.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,987 Posts
    I've come to really admire Grilli as a player. He can induce an ulcer just by warming up, but you can tell the guy has a real zest for the game and he doesn't back down. I'm not that big a believer in team chemistry, but a guy like Grilli really leads by example. There isn't a guy behind him on the field that can't see he is really dedicated to his craft and applies it with energy.

But facts are stubborn things. We're on the edge of the playoffs to some extent, but it's a very thin razor's edge in my view. If we can get a prospect who projects as a major league regular (hopefully an OF or 3B), the move should be made.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    We were never going to be buyers.
    Yeah I know. I think I read something wrong along the way here.
    Either way, I think if they deal him it will be for something potentially solid, or in a package deal for something solid. They won't deal him for a marginal prospect; there's no reason to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,907 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Grilli adds so few wins. We're not talking about trading Freeman, Simmons, etc. We're talking about someone who pitches 60 innings. In 60 innings, what is the difference between a 2 and 3 era? Like7 runs. So assume the average save is 2 runs, that makes like potentially 3 wins. A great closer is important in the post season. It's not important in the regular season.
    And how many wins does a marginal prospect add?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    how about Guerrero? Maybe he'd wave the trade/FA clause if we traded Gilli and KJ so he could start in LF?

Boras guy so you never expect him to play ball. You'd like to extend but Boras won't. But a RH LF/3B with power...

I have seen some speculation that Gurrero might renegotiate his contract if traded rather than opt out. His low OBP concerns me but he isn't getting consistent at bats. They must be getting some good offers to consider moving him so soon. Maybe we can get them to eat half of CJ's contract too.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    We are currently an overachieving team that is tied for 8th in the NL. (5 games out of first place) Based on fangraphs, we have a 2.4% of making the playoffs. Making any moves (or holding on to a player) because you think there is a shot at the playoffs this year would be pretty dumb. As a GM, you need to put feelings aside and look at reality. The handful of wins that Grilli would possibly add over the next 1.5 (probably much lower than that if Viz/Johnson/Simmons replace him) is not worth whatever prospect that would be offered for him.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

Horsehide Harry (07-10-2015)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I have seen some speculation that Gurrero might renegotiate his contract if traded rather than opt out. His low OBP concerns me but he isn't getting consistent at bats. They must be getting some good offers to consider moving him so soon. Maybe we can get them to eat half of CJ's contract too.

Austin Barnes at catcher and Guerrero are both guys that I would be interested in from the Dodgers, particularly if Guerrero is up for renegotiating and extending a year or two for about what he's getting paid now. He could give us some much needed pop in LF.

If we could somehow get them to take a portion of CJ's contract to balance out some of Guerrero's all the better.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    We are currently an overachieving team that is tied for 8th in the NL. (5 games out of first place) Based on fangraphs, we have a 2.4% of making the playoffs. Making any moves (or holding on to a player) because you think there is a shot at the playoffs this year would be pretty dumb. As a GM, you need to put feelings aside and look at reality. The handful of wins that Grilli would possibly add over the next 1.5 (probably much lower than that if Viz/Johnson/Simmons replace him) is not worth whatever prospect that would be offered for him.
    I agree with everything you said except that any prospect, especially any prospect now, would be better. Getting some C- level prospect is pointless. If that's all we can get, then wait. But I think we'll get more.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I agree with everything you said except that any prospect, especially any prospect now, would be better. Getting some C- level prospect is pointless. If that's all we can get, then wait. But I think we'll get more.
    Ok, I don't mean any prospect. There will be multiple teams looking for a reliever and I'm assuming a solid C would be the worst case. If the guy has any potential to be a major leaguer, then you go for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    "whatever" prospect? why trade him for a marginal guy if he can easily help, at a good price, next year?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,907 Posts
    We do not know what this team looks like with a healthy Freeman just yet. I don't think we should assume that we don't have a shot at the postseason.

If the prospects is top 100 then I would strongly consider it. If its top 50 then its a no brainer.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    We do not know what this team looks like with a healthy Freeman just yet. I don't think we should assume that we don't have a shot at the postseason.

If the prospects is top 100 then I would strongly consider it. If its top 50 then its a no brainer.
    Everyone has a shot at the postseason. Our chances are not good.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    "whatever" prospect? why trade him for a marginal guy if he can easily help, at a good price, next year?
    Can help do what next year? As clearly shown you can sign a guy off the scrap heap and do what Grilli has done (or Johnson) plus Simmons and Viz are other options. Take the prospect and worry about it later. This team isn't in a position to compete and Grilli is the answer between winning anything important.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post

It doesn't take rocket science to see what the team is and isn't. You are right that its not safe to assume no postseason chance, but the odds are incredibly low and bordering on 100% of no playoffs.

I don't know who would give up a top 100 prospect for Grilli and if one was offered, I would be seriously doubting Hart if he didn't accept.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Can help do what next year? As clearly shown you can sign a guy off the scrap heap and do what Grilli has done (or Johnson) plus Simmons and Viz are other options. Take the prospect and worry about it later. This team isn't in a position to compete and Grilli is the answer between winning anything important.
    but we may be able to compete next year, and Grilli can likely help there. why trade a good closer on a bargain for a marginal prospect who likely will not make any impact, ever?

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The point is the Braves are still on the edge of maybe being contenders.
    Are they? Like, really?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Are they? Like, really?
    technically, yes.
    realistically, no.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    and i think enscheff was using that "technically" standpoint. we're still kind of right there, so to begin to sell off could potentially not sit well with some players, and also with some fans.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Are they? Like, really?
    5 games out of the division.

8 games behind Pitts for 1st wild card

5 games out of 2nd wild card.

2 games behind NYM, 1 game behind Ari and SF

The only team you could argue the Braves are better than is Arizona.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post: