Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting Rotations in the Upper Minors and Majors

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    NO WAY Newcomb starts in Double-A. He will be closer to pushing for a MLB spot.
    Probably a good chance he starts in AAA but I would not be shocked if he starts in AA with the plan for a promotion pretty quickly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    Pretty amazing group. I don't want to see Williams Perez in the rotation though. Just very little upside and he should not be blocking Folty. Chacin will probably get a spot if healthy. I'm also not overly high on Banuelos. But to me the biggest mistake this organization can make is not giving Folty all of 2016 in the major league rotation seeing what we have. If he clicks as a SP, he might be the highest upside pitcher we have along with Newcomb.

Teheran/Wisler/Norris/Folty should be locked in. Then let Chacin/Banuelos/Perez battle it out in ST for the 5th spot.
    I want to give every opportunity to Folty to develop as a starter. But given what he showed last year, I'd start him off in AAA. In general, I think it is better not to rush the high upside guys like Newcomb, Folty and Sims. Let them start the year at a level where they can succeed even while refining their approach to pitching.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

buck75 (12-20-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    This is my best guess on the rotation pecking order as things stand now . . .

Locks
    Teheran, Norris

Likely to win a spot if they avoid a disastrous Spring
    Wisler, Banuelos (out of options)

Need to "win" ST competition for a spot
    Chacin (probably has opt out, so would have an advantage), [Another vet on MiLB deal that has an opt out], Volstad, Perez, Weber

Likely to start in AAA, due in part to service time considerations, but will have a chance by Summer
    Folty, Blair, Jenkins, Gant

Unlikely so see any MLB time this year
    Newcomb, Ellis, Bird

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-20-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    The quantity of starting pitching in the upper minors suggests that the payroll bump in 2017 is likely to be spent on position players. We could make significant expenditures at any position other than first and maybe center next off-season.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    So will Freid pitch in 16?

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdunn View Post
    So will Freid pitch in 16?
    Last I read he was supposed to be healthy to start the season and should start in A ball, people assume A+ but maybe lower. Will probably be on a very tight innings limit.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,481 Posts
    The list of available free agent starting pitchers gets a little depressing when you consider nearly half the list are Braves retreads: Beachy, Flande, Harang, Edwin J., Minor, Wandy and Stults. I guess Arroyo counts, too.
    There's still 2 quality arms there with Gallardo and Kazmir. I'd have no qualms if we signed Gallardo to a long term deal. He's a rock solid pitcher. Though his K and BB rates last year are a big concern.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    Pretty amazing group. I don't want to see Williams Perez in the rotation though. Just very little upside and he should not be blocking Folty. Chacin will probably get a spot if healthy. I'm also not overly high on Banuelos. But to me the biggest mistake this organization can make is not giving Folty all of 2016 in the major league rotation seeing what we have. If he clicks as a SP, he might be the highest upside pitcher we have along with Newcomb.

Teheran/Wisler/Norris/Folty should be locked in. Then let Chacin/Banuelos/Perez battle it out in ST for the 5th spot.
    Perez just has this stupid knack for getting people out. BTW, have we heard that ManBan has a clean bill of health yet? I am concerned about his availability.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Perez just has this stupid knack for getting people out. BTW, have we heard that ManBan has a clean bill of health yet? I am concerned about his availability.
    In regard to Perez, do you realize what his final numbers looked like last year? He wasn't getting many people out at the end.

In regard to Banuelos, I haven't heard anything. Which I consider to be a good sign. Word was his elbow issues weren't serious, and people have talked about him all winter as being a factor in the rotation, so I think he'll be fine.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,151 Posts
    Perez pitched to a 4.78 ERA with a 1.55 WHIP last year. He does NOT have a knack for getting people out. He is nothing more than a AAAA guy that can serve as a team's 7th starter. The fact he has a legitimate shot at making the rotation opening day shows just how poor the Braves will be in 2016.

ManBan is a lock for the MLB roster, either as a starter or out of the BP.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Just found an article from a couple weeks ago on Banuelos. Copy said he had a surgery to remove bone chips that was similar to the procedure Vizcaino had. And when we traded for Vizcaino, he threw 93-96; he's now throwing 97-101.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,002 Posts
    The thing about Perez is that he can be somewhat interesting and entertaining to watch because he looks like a glorified batting practice pitcher when he's on the mound and he can spin a few innings where he lives by the old Lew Burdette quote "I exploit the greed of all hitters." and look good in the process. I don't see much of a future for him and it will be interesting to see if he fits going forward.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-22-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,771 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Just found an article from a couple weeks ago on Banuelos. Copy said he had a surgery to remove bone chips that was similar to the procedure Vizcaino had. And when we traded for Vizcaino, he threw 93-96; he's now throwing 97-101.
    So banuelos will be gaining 4-5 mph on fastball... Nice

Ok maybe not, but that would be sweet

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,401 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    The thing about Perez is that he can be somewhat interesting and entertaining to watch because he looks like a glorified batting practice pitcher when he's on the mound and he can spin a few innings where he lives by the old Lew Burdette quote "I exploit the greed of all hitters." and look good in the process. I don't see much of a future for him and it will be interesting to see if he fits going forward.
    I think Perez will be one of those guys thrown into a deal for a legit bat. He fits perfect for a team that is rebuilding and needs a starter who can get guys out and eat a few innings in the process. he is not flashy nor high ceiling.. but just someone who will get the job done..