Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade 'em or keep 'em

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Texas wanted Upton last off season, AZ wanted Profar. Texas refused BECAUSE they thought they had a deal with Kinsler to move to the OF. They knew Hamilton probably wouldnt be back and Cruz upcoming FA. The backfire was that Kinsler then decided with his big contract he wouldnt move off 2nd. BTW Texas has lots of middle IF prospects coming up. So IMO Profar is now redundant to Texas. OTOH, LaStella while intriguing to this board is not even considered a top 10 prospect by most raters.
    I asked Jim Callis about LaStella and he doesn't think he can be a solid regular.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    someone here seriously wants to trade kimbrel??? really??

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bp4de View Post
    Really. Let me ask you a question: Who is the best closer between Papelbon, Rivera, Soriano and Kimbrel? Then let me ask you how much each is paid. Then when you answer that question: Do you think Kimbrel isnt aware of his standing and paycheck relative to the other 3?

And finally, one more question, Do you think Atlanta can afford either of them now and Kimbrel later on?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Per the MLBTradeRumors article re J Upton trade offer at deadline. Think that Texas is still interested in Upton? Will they get more real in dealing if he is put on the block?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,907 Posts
    Pro far and Martin Perez please.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    It makes more sense to focus on what player or type of player we want to trade for than who to trade away.

Going into 2014, I think our area of greatest need is left-handed relief. And if a dominant starting pitcher becomes available, we should at least kick the tires.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-23-2013)

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    C Johnson: keep him for at least one more year
    BJ: have to keep him; just hope he returns to career norms
    Jup: no way you trade him unless someone offers a ridiculously good package, like 3 or 4 for 1
    McCann: make a nice, reasonable offer to try to keep him but don’t overpay in salary or years (and he better not sign with another NL East team a la Glavine…)
    Huddy: make a reasonable offer to resign out of respect; he cannot end his Braves career on a sour note
    Medlen: keep
    Uggla: try to trade him but what could we possibly get for him??
    Venters: resign, high risk (injury) but high reward if he is recovered
    EOF: have to resign to build up the bullpen’s dominance again; don’t know if Downs is as good as we thought he was
    Carpenter: resign
    Schafer: resign for depth
    EJ: resign, brings more to the team than Janish
    Reed: pick up his option if he can perform in the playoffs; heck, we resigned Hinske for several years…

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,476 Posts
    C Johnson - Depends on what kind of return we get. If people value him only slightly more than last yhear we really have to keep him. But if someone values him as a batting champ, then we have to trade him.
    BJ - GOing nowhere
    JUp - Unless someone offers us more than we gave up no way do we trade him.
    McCann - Hope we keep him. But I presume the Braves won't, sadly.
    Huddy - If he'll stay for cheap (like 1 year 3 mill deal with some incentives) then I'd keep him. Otherwise someone else can pay him 7+ mil
    Medlen - Keep him or trade him depending on salary needs. If we keep Mac for example, Medlen almost has to go. To me he's gone after next year though.
    Uggla - We can dream of finding a partner to make this trade with but I severely doubt that it happens
    Venters - I don't know where I stand on this one. Again it comes down to salary. I'd love to see if he's healthy and has the stuff he had 2-3 years ago. But he may not be that ever again.
    Carpenter - Keep, can't be more of a no brainer since he's not even arb eligible.
    EOF - Depends on Johnny if we keep Johnny he goes, if we don't then he has to be considered
    Downs - Same as above.
    Elliot - Cut. We have to have better options for backup MIF. Guy is a legit bum.
    Maholm - Byebye
    Laird - Keep, though could be midseason trade bait.
    Ayala - on the fence with him but I'd say if he will stay for around a mil then keep, if not, bye bye
    Garcia - Would offer minor league deal and that's it
    Loe - Same basic thing.
    Schafer - The interesting one no one is talking about. He is arb 1 next year so a raise is in his future. I think he's perfect trade bait, but I don' think the Braves will do it.

For me the Braves have a handful of guys who're basically untradeable this offseason, or I wouldn't trade them unless someone blew us away. Jason, Justin, Freddie, Gattis, Simmons, Minor, Julio, Kimbrel, Avilan, Walden and Wood. Now Gattis would be bumped from that group if we keep Mac.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

High School Draftee ProbationDeac's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Yeah, that's just a bad idea. Message board managing is fun and all but that's just...not...smart.

I think Hudson and Maholm are gone along with Mac. We can try and trade Uggla but I don't know how many takers we'll have. Keep J-Up, Chris Johnson, Venters (depending on money and status), EOF (depends on Venters).

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,987 Posts
    All I can say is wild winter ahead.

Hard to know how everything will be held together given we are throwing $25+ million down a rat hole.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (09-23-2013)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    I asked Jim Callis about LaStella and he doesn't think he can be a solid regular.
    LaStella is a wild card, but the fact that no one outside of this board really talks about him in glowing terms has to mean something. Doesn't mean he can't be a contributor and perhaps a decent big league regular, but the silence is a bit deafening on him. I'm interested to see how he does in the Arizona Fall League.

If Kinsler actually did that in Texas, I'd trade his butt the first chance I got. Total punk move.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    All I can say is wild winter ahead.

Hard to know how everything will be held together given we are throwing $25+ million down a rat hole.
    I was just musing while in the shower and thinking about a team like the Angels, they have a lot of money, not a lot of talent to bring in a TOR starter via trade. So what if they agreed to eat all of Uggla's salary as their big chip in acquiring Medlen?

This would be my crazy offseason trades

Medlen and uggla for Kaleb Cowart and Nick Maronde. Would make a bit of a jam as they'd need to figure out between Kendrick and uggla who to play 2B and who to play 3B, but heck with the Angels money they could just eat it. Their offense isn't their problem. It's that they've got 20 starts from Joe Blanton.

Gattis, Beachy, Schafer and Johnson + cash for Josh Donaldson. A big blockbuster trade.

Resign Mac, Hudson and sign Josh Johnson or Roy Halladay to an incentive laden deal.

2013 Bravos

RF - Jason
    LF - Justin
    1B - Freddie
    C - Mac
    3B - Donaldson
    2B - La Stella
    SS - Simmons
    CF - Bossman

SP
    Minor
    Julio
    Wood
    Hudson
    Halladay/Johnson

RP
    Kimbrel
    Walden
    Avilan
    EOF/Venters/Downs
    Carpenter

Etc.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Im keeping it simple. Just re-sign Mac and find a taker for Uggla.

Why break up a good thing?

And this is with BJ having the worst yr of his career.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    The Angels are a high payroll team. But the deals with Hamilton, Pujols, Weaver and Wilson are all significantly backloaded and Trout is a year away from some significant salary increases. I don't think they have that much flexibility. You could see that in the way they constructed the back end of their rotation.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,147 Posts
    I may have an irrational mancrush on JUp, but the only way I ever trade him is for a guy like Profar that leads to a series of other moves. A JUp/Profar trade frees up LF for Gattis, and frees up money to sign Mac. Profar plays 2nd or 3rd (can he play 3rd?) and allows Uggla to be dumped or benched, or CJ to be flipped for another piece.

I go ahead and bring Huddy back and stick Wood in AAA to start the year. Wood steps in as soon as Teheran or Minor go in for their TJ.

Go ahead and bring all the BP arms back since they don't cost much and have all been very effective this year.

Medlen has impressed me this year now that he has gotten back on track, and is slightly better than I thought he would be. I would still consider trading him if it helped bring back a true Ace like Price.

I would hold onto Kimbrel for at least next year unless someone blows me away with a crazy trade offer. I'm talking crazy like Profar for Kimbrel. He shouldn't be too insanely expensive in Arb1, so keep him around for 2014. He WILL be insanely expensive in Arb2, so I think it's a certainty he is traded after the 2014 season or at the 2014 trade deadline if the Braves are out of contention.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 09-23-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I was just musing while in the shower and thinking about a team like the Angels, they have a lot of money, not a lot of talent to bring in a TOR starter via trade. So what if they agreed to eat all of Uggla's salary as their big chip in acquiring Medlen?

This would be my crazy offseason trades

Medlen and uggla for Kaleb Cowart and Nick Maronde. Would make a bit of a jam as they'd need to figure out between Kendrick and uggla who to play 2B and who to play 3B, but heck with the Angels money they could just eat it. Their offense isn't their problem. It's that they've got 20 starts from Joe Blanton.

Gattis, Beachy, Schafer and Johnson + cash for Josh Donaldson. A big blockbuster trade.

Resign Mac, Hudson and sign Josh Johnson or Roy Halladay to an incentive laden deal.

2013 Bravos

RF - Jason
    LF - Justin
    1B - Freddie
    C - Mac
    3B - Donaldson
    2B - La Stella
    SS - Simmons
    CF - Bossman

SP
    Minor
    Julio
    Wood
    Hudson
    Halladay/Johnson

RP
    Kimbrel
    Walden
    Avilan
    EOF/Venters/Downs
    Carpenter

Etc.
    I think that's the only way we can dump Uggla. He would have to be sent along with someone cheaper (maybe Minor instead of Medlen; not a preference but the cheaper option from the trading partner's end). That's the only way Uggla moves without us paying $10 million a season for him to play somewhere else.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory BlackwaterPark's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Dont understand why everyone is in love with Profar...Myers >> Profar

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Really. Let me ask you a question: Who is the best closer between Papelbon, Rivera, Soriano and Kimbrel? Then let me ask you how much each is paid. Then when you answer that question: Do you think Kimbrel isnt aware of his standing and paycheck relative to the other 3?

And finally, one more question, Do you think Atlanta can afford either of them now and Kimbrel later on?
    Valid point PawPaw. The contracts for elite closers (and Kimbrel is now firmly in that class) and the ridiculous contract handed out to Elvis Andrus will likely price Kimbrel and Simmons out of Atlanta. Too early to say on Simmons, but I think it's going to be difficult to match the Andrus' contract amount and that's what he'll be seeking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackwaterPark View Post
    Dont understand why everyone is in love with Profar...Myers >> Profar
    Not sure if you follow the minor leagues or not, but the numbers Profar was putting up for his age at the SS/2B position were ridiculous. His ceiling is infinite and because he's at a premium position, that's why he was rated so highly. It's not really fair to compare those two side by side, especially because of positional scarcity and the fact that Myers has over 3 years on Profar.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Yes, closers are over valued.

If a team offered a haul for him, you consider it.