Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: College

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,422 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    4 year BS degree. Took about $30K in loans and just finished paying them off this month (3 years after graduating)

Did I read that you played college ball?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Your mother goes to college.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    922 Posts
    I had a partial scholarship to a public school...graduated in 3.5 yrs (finished in 2008)...had about $17-20k in debt that is almost paid off. Sort of regretted not going to a private school I had my eyes on, but I don't think I'd be any better off today and I probabky would have had 3-4x the debt.

Going to get killed by grad school, even with my emoloyer picking up a solid chunk of the bill.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to acesfull86 For This Useful Post:

57Brave (07-14-2014)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    I had a partial scholarship to a public school...graduated in 3.5 yrs (finished in 2008)...had about $17-20k in debt that is almost paid off. Sort of regretted not going to a private school I had my eyes on, but I don't think I'd be any better off today and I probabky would have had 3-4x the debt.

Going to get killed by grad school, even with my emoloyer picking up a solid chunk of the bill.
    My company will pay for my last two semesters but I have to pay it back if I leave.
    My boss is only 4 years older and there is no way in hell I want her position. We only have 4 in IT but she is in charge of data automation and accounting and they are headaches to deal with. She puts in 13 hours a day everyday and no way I could do that. I might leave eventually but I have two kids in private school and that is expensive enough.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    My company will pay for my last two semesters but I have to pay it back if I leave.
    My boss is only 4 years older and there is no way in hell I want her position. We only have 4 in IT but she is in charge of data automation and accounting and they are headaches to deal with. She puts in 13 hours a day everyday and no way I could do that. I might leave eventually but I have two kids in private school and that is expensive enough.
    Please do it. I want nothing more than to call you Master Douchebag.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Please do it. I want nothing more than to call you Master Douchebag.
    Master?

Try King Douchebag, bitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,917 Posts
    The problem is kids are getting degrees in useless areas. More career education needs to be given.
    Natural Immunity Croc

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (07-14-2014)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    The problem is kids are getting degrees in useless areas. More career education needs to be given.

Often useless degrees consisting of inane and useless courses taught by tenured, can't touch me, whacked-out, privileged, leftist professors. But of course I don't have an opinion. :)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (07-14-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    This.

My daughter wanted to go into something dead end (Anthropology or History) and I asked why? She thought it was cool, but then I told her when you need food on the table for your kids and saddle with a degree that is not needed, you won't find a good job to take care of them. Her mother is head nurse at a hospital and your dad is an IT programmer, neither of us are struggling and we don't want you to struggle, so she went into dentistry and she will finish this year and she loves the field.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Often useless degrees consisting of inane and useless courses taught by tenured, can't touch me, whacked-out, privileged, leftist professors. But of course I don't have an opinion. :)
    The only jobs you can get in those fields....a teacher..............hee hee.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    The only jobs you can get in those fields....a teacher..............hee hee.

And don't they know it?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,422 Posts
    This.

My daughter wanted to go into something dead end (Anthropology or History) and I asked why? She thought it was cool, but then I told her when you need food on the table for your kids and saddle with a degree that is not needed, you won't find a good job to take care of them. Her mother is head nurse at a hospital and your dad is an IT programmer, neither of us are struggling and we don't want you to struggle, so she went into dentistry and she will finish this year and she loves the field.

History or Anthropology degrees "dead end" ???
    They are by definition anything but dead end

I for one don't see any degree as dead end or useless. Just the fact that one commits to learning a discipline and completes a goal speaks volumes for a person 18-26. Or older for that matter

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (07-14-2014)

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    They tend to show up in the useful degree programs too, unfortunately

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,917 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post

I for one don't see any degree as dead end or useless. Just the fact that one commits to learning a discipline and completes a goal speaks volumes for a person 18-26. Or older for that matter
    These kids are spending all this money for these fields and the jobs aren't there. I don't want to hear people bitch about their college debt considering they should have known that there weren't going to jobs to repay it. If you make the decision to learn these disciplines then great. But afterwards, don't scream about how you can't get out of the hole you dug.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    BS in Business Administration with concentration in finance and real estate. Paid my first two years with credit cards/cash while living off campus and working full-time. Got student loans for 15k or so for my last two years and about to pay them off 10 years later. (there is no incentive to pay off student loan debt)
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

20. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

57Brave (07-14-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post

I am not disrespecting the degree. I think they are fascinating, but paying the bills is more important and if you are laden with student debt it makes it worst. If I offended anyone with those degrees, I am sorry I did not mean it that way. I love those classes to be honest and having a real discussion in regards to History and Anthropology is probably the most fun and engaging there is. IT is boring if you want to talk about discussions.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,481 Posts
    That doesn't exist in college. Unless you're going to school to learn a specialized knowledge (Medicine, Law, etc.) there's no need. I would personally adopt the german method of colleges and vocational schools.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

23. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

57Brave (07-14-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,422 Posts
    After our discussion this morning on "useless" degrees I encountered a 4th year Phd candidate and asked her opinion. She was high schooled and undergradded in Germany and had an interesting take. She too advocated the German model and thought there were many "useless" degrees. But she SAW a "useless degree" as one whEre the student really didn't have their heart in it. She spoke of many students who haven't a clue at 21 what or where they were going. Her for instance was a business degree to a person that had no interest in business and went through the motions because of family pressure or just seemed like the right thing to do. She spoke of Med School and Law School students as thehighest rate of people that are just not either cut out for those professions or just simply hated the work.

So AA, I would say that the degrees you value - you value because they fit you. The next person may get the same degree and find it all was a waste of time.
    Regardless the pay scale.

Perhaps what is more at issue is the pay scale and exactly what it is we value in our society. New boats or articulate children. Perhaps then we get the the opportunity to have the best and brightest to teach our kids history and anthropology . Stop and think in what world does it make sense the guy who swaps commodities mkes 100 time waht the people we trust in the short run our children in the long run the health of our civilization
    ?
    Last edited by 57Brave; 07-14-2014 at 07:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,065 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    4 year BS degree.
    You're clearly a Master of BS.

Graduated in the late 80s and it took me about 6 years to payoff my student loans.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    The rise in tuition isn't the same as the rise in actual average cost of attendance. The tuition has gone up, but so have the grants. The higher tuition allows colleges to get rich folks to cover more for the poor folks. That said, the average real costs have risen too, but it's just not as steep. They had a planet money piece about this recently, though they were looking only a fairly recent timeframe.

Me: graduated in '08 with a degree in sophistry, got some loans, parents took out more loans, college gave financial need grants, got some work-study, had decent internships in the summers; parents've paid off theirs (I think; at least one has, can't remember the other off-hand), I've paid off about half of mine. Probably could have paid them off by now if I'd worked at it and stuck around at my consulting job, but it hasn't been a priority. The debt is not crushing. Currently not paying them off at all, since working in Thailand pays so little that I qualify for an "Economic Hardship" deferment, so why not take it (federal loans, so the gov pays the interest). Will probably go back to school at some point and go get myself some real ruinous debt.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

57Brave (07-15-2014)