Thread: Syrian Refugees

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,767 Posts
    After reading this, I really wan tot know where right wing nuts are getting these numbers that we're importing 10,000 Syrians a year or that Obama wants to go up to 100,000 refugees.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    It's fear mongering of the worst sort. The sensationalistic media takes the pictures of the floods of economic migrants (especially pictures of the hordes of single men - and there are plenty of them) and then make us think that's what we are dealing with here. I've yet to see it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (11-23-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    Why dont they ask Allah for somewhere to go? I would let refugees in but the price of admission is eating a McRib(or anything with pork in it). If their religious beliefs are strong enough that they would rather stay in Syria rather than eat a pork sandwich then they are the kind of stupid we dont need or want. We are playing with fire if we just let a ****load of them in. If I was an enemy combatant(calling them terrorists is really just silly at this point) I would be trying to sneak some in with all those refugees. If some of them are enemy combatants and attack us after Obama let them in then he needs to be charged with treason.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,265 Posts
    the Syrian refugee situation just showing how pathetic the republican party and their base/followers are and that "all lives mattering" is just bull****

totally pathetic and isn't the ideals that i celebrate about being American

"home of the brave" etc etc is obviously bull**** in the republican world. it's all just words that no one actually strives to be and for the party of God and life and being "strong" they don't embody any of the attributes of any of the **** they say

it even backs up the saying of that they only care about life until it is born and then don't care.

truly pathetic and is why i was driven away from that party
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Why dont they ask Allah for somewhere to go? I would let refugees in but the price of admission is eating a McRib(or anything with pork in it). If their religious beliefs are strong enough that they would rather stay in Syria rather than eat a pork sandwich then they are the kind of stupid we dont need or want. We are playing with fire if we just let a ****load of them in. If I was an enemy combatant(calling them terrorists is really just silly at this point) I would be trying to sneak some in with all those refugees. If some of them are enemy combatants and attack us after Obama let them in then he needs to be charged with treason.
    pathetic
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,767 Posts
    You should read my post on the first page that includes a long written description of the process from an actual immigration lawyer that's dealt with refugees. It's not so clean cut and easy if you're a terrorist or enemy combatant to just come here.

And a ****load, we've let in about 2k Syrian refugees since 2011. 2,000 in a country with a population of almost 400 million?
    Forever Fredi

8. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (11-23-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    You should read my post on the first page that includes a long written description of the process from an actual immigration lawyer that's dealt with refugees. It's not so clean cut and easy if you're a terrorist or enemy combatant to just come here.

And a ****load, we've let in about 2k Syrian refugees since 2011. 2,000 in a country with a population of almost 400 million?
    Just because they arent today doesnt mean they wont be tommorrow. All it takes is one of them with a mental illness to run across some jackass in a mosque and all of a sudden he wants to kill some infidels. How long were the Boston marathon bombers here? I dont think they went bat**** crazy years after coming to America by watching some online dip****. I dont want to hear "theres no way we could have known" when one of these refugees or their future children blows **** up.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    pathetic
    We cant win this war by being PC. This pretty much sums up how I feel about it.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,065 Posts
    We cant win this war by being PC.
    Au contraire mon ami, that's probably the only way to win it. You lay back and let the world become more and more incensed. Just look at France's response. ISIS can only be suffocated collectively, from all sides. The alternative is too ugly.

Protect the free world as much as possible but let them be the attackers and suffer the backlash of Muslim opinion. The extremists cannot be defeated until they've been separated from the pack.

At least don't be viewed as the posse leader.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,330 Posts
    I lived in Europe for two years and I had a handful of interesting, awful, and also wonderful encounters with Moroccans and Syrians.

As most of you know, I am Mormon and I served a Mormon mission. About a year into my service my companion at the time, whom I would describe as being the exact fit to any stereotype you may have of Mormon missionaries, got us into a predicament with a group of late teen, early 20's Moroccans. He had this annoying, cringe worthy habit of waving to every single person we rode pass on our bike, which is especially strange in Europe. One day we drove past one of the Moroccans and he of course waved, but the Moroccan thought he flipped him off. That night when we got back to our apartment a group of 20 Moroccans were waiting for us, including the one from earlier with a knife in his hand. I think the only thing that saved us is that they quickly recognized how aloof my companion was. Needless to say, it isn't an experience I would want to relive.

Another companionship on my mission had their car breaks cut by the family of a Syrian man they played soccer with on Saturdays. They figured it out quickly who the culprits were when they came home and found a threat in their mailbox that if they ever talked to the Syrian again they would be killed. After that, we were given specific directions to avoid conversing (outside of friendly banter) with middle eastern Muslims for safety precautions.

Many of the Europeans we spoke with have had similar experiences which is one of the primary reasons why the anti-immigration movement has been picking up momentum over the last decade. I can't even imagine what that mentality has grown to over the past year with these attacks. Which is a shame because the overwhelming majority are not only a non-problem but contribute so much to the diversity and rich cultural experience of Europe.

As for refugees in the US, i can understand why people succumb to fear mongering because in some ways it's legitimate. But there is a far greater purpose to life than to spend your life being terrified of a religion, ethnicity, or culture. We need to understand that closing ourself off to the world and reciprocating hate will only make them hate us more. And it's that hate the feeds their recruiting efforts.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-23-2015), Hawk (11-23-2015), Julio3000 (11-23-2015), sturg33 (11-23-2015)