Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brandon Taubman

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    I just wish we could go back to how these things were handled pre-social media. Growing up in the 90s it seemed like things were a lot more sane. I also think off the field matters were handled better prior to Roger Goodell and his NFL personal conduct policy. Crime is a law enforcement problem. It’s not a sports problem.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,156 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    i'm not saying its the same

my point is that if you hire someone with baggage you better have an understanding of what comes with that baggage and watch how you conduct yourself...you are in effect putting yourself under a microscope where any missteps get magnified...people generally get the benefit of the doubt...but less so when they hire someone like Osuna

another example

Michael Vick

after he has a big game do you think it would be appropriate to taunt a reporter who might have written an article or two about animal cruelty

I think Vick is actually a less compelling scenario than the one that we actually have.

The extra juice in this story is that the Astros exec is a man and he's acting boorishly or aggressively towards women over a proxy for the proper punishment for the domestic abuse of women.

It's a gendered story and very relevant to the political times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I think Vick is actually a less compelling scenario than the one that we actually have.

The extra juice in this story is that the Astros exec is a man and he's acting boorishly or aggressively towards women over a proxy for the proper punishment for the domestic abuse of women.

It's a gendered story and very relevant to the political times.
    It is about gender. But there are similar issues that come up without gender being involved. The Ravens apparently aren't too nice with reporters who ask questions about Ray Lewis' past. Nothing to do with gender, but those reporters have been badly treated by many in the Ravens organization. They have chosen to circle the wagons around Ray as an organization. So in addition to gender, there is tribalism, also very relevant to our times.

For me the tribalism angle is the more interesting one. Through that lens we see how someone like Osuna becomes "one of us." And anyone who looks at him through a different lens becomes an enemy. I remember how badly Ryan Braun behaved around his failed drug test and how much support he got from Brewers' fans when he was going through that. There are many other examples.

Of course, a form of tribalism has always very big for sports teams and organizations.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-23-2019 at 11:20 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coredor View Post
    I just wish we could go back to how these things were handled pre-social media. Growing up in the 90s it seemed like things were a lot more sane. I also think off the field matters were handled better prior to Roger Goodell and his NFL personal conduct policy. Crime is a law enforcement problem. It’s not a sports problem.
    You're missing an important component: the very act of being a talented, famous athlete used to inoculate them from ever facing justice in a court of law. The serial rapist NFL player was protected by off-duty cops, standing guard and holding back citizens who wanted to go help the woman screaming for help, because he was rich enough to pay them and because he was Pittsburgh's beloved QB. It's a near-certainty Roger Clemens would have gone to prison as a pedophile if he had not been a rich and famous athlete. The fact that existing in the league's system protects you from prosecution makes it the league's problem.
    Last edited by Snowman; 10-23-2019 at 12:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,588 Posts
    What the hell are you even talking about?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (10-23-2019), Super (10-23-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,156 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    What the hell are you even talking about?
    I think he's suggesting that crimes should be handled by the criminal justice system and that sports teams and leagues should stay out of it.

I don't know about all that, but at what point is the prescribed punishment enough?

The criminal justice system closed its case. Osuna served the mandated suspension for MLB.

The Astros did something that was within the rules and it seems like it ended up working out. And the exec was boorish to gloat about it. All gross, maybe, but not that gross in the grand scale of things that happen all the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    I think he's suggesting that crimes should be handled by the criminal justice system and that sports teams and leagues should stay out of it.

I don't know about all that, but at what point is the prescribed punishment enough?

The criminal justice system closed its case. Osuna served the mandated suspension for MLB.

The Astros did something that was within the rules and it seems like it ended up working out. And the exec was boorish to gloat about it. All gross, maybe, but not that gross in the grand scale of things that happen all the time.
    If the Astros and Taubman were a bit more forthcoming and honest about what happened, it would be a much smaller issue. It's always the coverup. But you're right. In the grand scheme of things there are much bigger problems in the world.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,588 Posts

Okay, but Taubman didn’t commit a crime. So how can the legal system handle it? He’s seriously suggesting that there shouldn’t be repercussions from the team after an employee did something terrible while actively representing the team at the workplace. He should try doing something like that at his office and see how it goes over with his employer. I don’t think they’d be as forgiving as the Astros appear to be.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,265 Posts
    the guy went out of his way to yell at female reporters who have covered domestic violence towards women cause they had written articles about the piece of **** Osuna etc

cursing at them etc while celebrating a win to go to the world series

he targeted them

then the astros said it never happened and tried to discredit the journalist who wrote the article saying it was a lie

and then came back and gave bull**** apologies when enough people said it was real and happened

he should lose his job for sure

and yeah, there are bigger problems in the world, that has nothing to do with doing the right thing here and firing this jackass and whomever went after the journalist too
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Okay, but Taubman didn’t commit a crime. So how can the legal system handle it? He’s seriously suggesting that there shouldn’t be repercussions from the team after an employee did something terrible while actively representing the team at the workplace. He should try doing something like that at his office and see how it goes over with his employer. I don’t think they’d be as forgiving as the Astros appear to be.
    I think by now this is more a story about the Astros ownership than anything else.

"I am your retribution."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (10-23-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,156 Posts
    If the Astros and Taubman were a bit more forthcoming and honest about what happened, it would be a much smaller issue. It's always the coverup. But you're right. In the grand scheme of things there are much bigger problems in the world.
    What was the coverup exactly?

Is it just that the Astros said he wasn't directing the comments towards the reporters?

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,265 Posts

Is it just that the Astros said he wasn't directing the comments towards the reporters?
    they literately came out and said it never happened and tried to discredit the reporter as a liar when it broke initially
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts

Taubman also continues to maintain he was just excited and being overly exuberant and was not directing his words at anyone.

We all make mistakes. Really they are an opportunity for reflection and self-improvement. But it is helpful to be honest about those mistakes.

"I am your retribution."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (10-23-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    they literately came out and said it never happened and tried to discredit the reporter as a liar when it broke initially
    As far as I know the Astros have not apologized for their attempt to discredit the story.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,918 Posts
    Taubman also continues to maintain he was just excited and being overly exuberant and was not directing his words at anyone.

We all make mistakes. Really they are an opportunity for reflection and self-improvement. But it is helpful to be honest about those mistakes.
    Repent to the altar of the PC Gods or lose all rights to earn an income in the future.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,152 Posts
    The guy is a chauvinist buffoon who said something rude.

Fine. Fire him if it matches his pattern of behavior.

I would probably never hang out with the guy (who I am 100% sure is a Trumpkin, and I would bet any amount of money on it being true), but he doesn't need to be executed, or banned from baseball...or whatever over reactionary punishment the PC fools are clamoring for.

He's just another white male lamenting the "raw deal" white males have been getting the last 5-10 years.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-23-2019 at 01:56 PM.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

That’s exactly what I’m saying. The leagues rarely took action for off the field behavior and they certainly didn’t do independent investigations. They also waited for convictions and misdemeanors weren’t a big deal to the leagues. I personally preferred it that way.

I like the focus of sports to stay between the lines. I’m opposed to violence but I don’t see my team having someone who had committed it as a statement. Heck in the 90s Bobby briefly got in trouble. If it happened today he might have been fired. I would have been furious and would have personally hated any media members who had pushed for it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Repent to the altar of the PC Gods or lose all rights to earn an income in the future.
    no one is calling for that, you ****ing dip****.
    if you don't see the issue with what he did, and then the whole org. lying about it...well then you may have your head in some sand.
    oh, wait............
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,363 Posts
    That’s exactly what I’m saying. The leagues rarely took action for off the field behavior and they certainly didn’t do independent investigations. They also waited for convictions and misdemeanors weren’t a big deal to the leagues. I personally preferred it that way.

I like the focus of sports to stay between the lines. I’m opposed to violence but I don’t see my team having someone who had committed it as a statement. Heck in the 90s Bobby briefly got in trouble. If it happened today he might have been fired. I would have been furious and would have personally hated any media members who had pushed for it.
    your point is 100% moot because no crime was committed.

to address your moot point, tho, i think character is a very important part of any team or fellowship. it's completely within any team or league's rights to investigate and impose their own punishments. with the celebrity around these athletes, and the money invested in them, it's appropriate for teams or leagues to take action.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    no one is calling for that, you ****ing dip****.
    if you don't see the issue with what he did, and then the whole org. lying about it...well then you may have your head in some sand.
    oh, wait............
    What did he do again?

Make a statement that offended someone?

I don't care about the Astros. Everyone should always be truthful and never hide anything so the argument against them is different.
    Natural Immunity Croc