Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MLB Pipeline Top 10 2B

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    Pretty odd that it looked like all three homers they showed from heim were on off-speed pitches. Hope the guy can hit a fastball.
    That's the knock on him - may lack the bat speed to catch up to fastballs as he advances. He will probably need to become very good at recognizing pitches and starting his swing early to offset that some.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Any time that TD eventually spends at 3B with the big club will be about as short-lived as Rio Ruiz, unless he could adapt to supersub role. Riley and Maitan are the bigger fish. Versatility at 2B helps though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Any time that TD eventually spends at 3B with the big club will be about as short-lived as Rio Ruiz, unless he could adapt to supersub role. Riley and Maitan are the bigger fish. Versatility at 2B helps though.
    Riley and Maitan are both at least 2-3 years away. Demeritte could potentially be ready by the end of this year. If we really want to compete in 2018-2019, he could be a part of that.

And versatility helps everywhere. If he can play well at 3B and gain experience there, then all the better for his ability to help the major league team.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    That's the knock on him - may lack the bat speed to catch up to fastballs as he advances. He will probably need to become very good at recognizing pitches and starting his swing early to offset that some.
    This is why he strikes out over 25% of the time and has been prone to horrific stretches of poor production. If he guesses right he makes good contact. If he guesses wrong...K.

I don't think he makes it above AA once more advanced pitchers exploit his slow bat. This is the biggest reason I'd like to see TD moved to 3B now if it's going to happen.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Td strikes out all of the time too

If he can make enough contact his bat should play anywhere. Doubt it. But hope to see it

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Td strikes out all of the time too

If he can make enough contact his bat should play anywhere. Doubt it. But hope to see it
    There's a difference between striking out because you can't catch up to a fastball vs striking out due to an over-aggressive approach. A kid can develop patience. Bat speed? Not so much.

TD is definitely a log shot though, that's for certain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    There's a difference between striking out because you can't catch up to a fastball vs striking out due to an over-aggressive approach. A kid can develop patience. Bat speed? Not so much.

Is it over aggressive? Bad Eye? Poor hit tool? Some combination.

I know the slow bat is out there from some on Riley. But there have been leaguers who have slower bats. I use that temper my expectations from him (some have him penciled in as our 3B). But he could still be that guy. If he can stick at 3B he could be a guy that only hits 250 but has the XBHs to be a very positive player.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

Agreed. I think Riley is a slightly better prospect than Demeritte right now simply because of the age and because his raw strength/power is so impressive. And you just don't know until he sees better pitching just how much of a hindrance his bat speed will be. But it is definitely a concern, and if he proves unable to catch up to average fastballs, then his future as a hitter is pretty much over.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,147 Posts
    Agreed. I think Riley is a slightly better prospect than Demeritte right now simply because of the age and because his raw strength/power is so impressive. And you just don't know until he sees better pitching just how much of a hindrance his bat speed will be. But it is definitely a concern, and if he proves unable to catch up to average fastballs, then his future as a hitter is pretty much over.
    I would easily rate TD above Riley. TD's defense sets his floor as a bench player with occasional power. Riley's floor is a guy that doesn't make it out of AA (and I don't think he will) since his defense will force him to 1B and his bat will not come anywhere close to playing there.

TD will probably settle in as a lesser version of Baez...a toolsy utility player.

To me, Riley is almost a non-prospect...something like a 40 FV guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    854 Posts
    I would easily rate TD above Riley. TD's defense sets his floor as a bench player with occasional power. Riley's floor is a guy that doesn't make it out of AA (and I don't think he will) since his defense will force him to 1B and his bat will not come anywhere close to playing there.

TD will probably settle in as a lesser version of Baez...a toolsy utility player.

I disagree with your overall assessment of Riley, but I agree TD is the better prospect. Both players are power threats with concerns about the bat going forward. TD has elite defensive potential at 2B, while Riley might be passable at 3B.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

I think that's fair. I just disagree on Riley. I realize his bust potential but think he does have a chance to be a big bat in the majors, like plenty of other guys with iffy bat speed but tons of raw strength.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,393 Posts
    I think that's fair. I just disagree on Riley. I realize his bust potential but think he does have a chance to be a big bat in the majors, like plenty of other guys with iffy bat speed but tons of raw strength.
    I would trade Riley if I could improve my big club and hang my eggs in the Kevin basket at 3B.. I think Riley will be in A+ this year and hopefully he will have a good year to maintain prospect status. He would be on my potential 'Bust' list.. man I hope I am wrong..