Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Three-way talk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Trading Maybin just to get rid of CJ without getting anything of value back is just mind numbingly stupid... Peavy/Pagan is nothing of value. I can't think Hart is actually entertaining that idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Max Wildstein ‏@MaxWildstein 12h12 hours ago
    Source: In trade talks, #Braves have packaged Cameron Maybin, Chris Johnson together to at least ten teams.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-05-2015), Hawk (07-05-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,907 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Max Wildstein ‏@MaxWildstein 12h12 hours ago
    Source: In trade talks, #Braves have packaged Cameron Maybin, Chris Johnson together to at least ten teams.
    That's a big mistake IMO. Just eat CJS contract.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Playing the Waiting Game keithlaw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    That's a big mistake IMO. Just eat CJS contract.
    If it weren't for Maybin's injury history, I would agree. Unfortunately, staying healthy is a skill that Maybin has never had and one that usually gets worse with age. Even if we don't get anything in return, I think we're better off with an extra $33 million to spend over the next 2.5 years than with 1.5 years of Maybin and 2.5 years of CJ.

Edit: Although if we do trade them I think we should dumb Mukaki too and go after Heywood and Fat Upton in the offseason.
    Last edited by keithlaw; 07-05-2015 at 08:14 AM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keithlaw View Post
    If it weren't for Maybin's injury history, I would agree. Unfortunately, staying healthy is a skill that Maybin has never had and one that usually gets worse with age. Even if we don't get anything in return, I think we're better off with an extra $33 million to spend over the next 2.5 years than with 1.5 years of Maybin and 2.5 years of CJ.

Edit: Although if we do trade them I think we should dumb Mukaki too and go after Heywood and Fat Upton in the offseason.
    You'd be OK with playing Heyward in CF and having him block Mallex? If you package Cam with Johnson you'd have nothing left to put with Markakis to move him unless it was a REALLY good prospect. I can't imagine they'll want to pay Nick $11 million per to sit on the bench since he's not much of a 4th OF option (definitely can't be the backup in CF). You'd be better off just eating Johnson's money IMO.
    Last edited by clvclv; 07-05-2015 at 08:24 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,907 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keithlaw View Post

8n baseball I don't believe health is a skill...for non pitchers.

Maybin is on a very team friendly contract that I don't believe we should just discard. If the Braves believe getting Heyward back is a distinct possibility then gine. But otherwise it's going to cost more than Maybin curent salary to replace his production.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,907 Posts
    Btw..Justin is slumping again. I'm sure he will get white hot at some point this year but not sure if I want to go through those ups and downs again.
    Natural Immunity Croc

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Garmel (07-05-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    I'm definitely open to trading Maybin now. He's producing offensively at what I believe to be an unsustainable clip, and it's a trade market for the next 4 weeks that's starving for positional players. I do buy in to the theory that some of his offensive improvements will stick due to his new approach, but no way do I see him sustaining the 775ish OPS his has now. More realistically, he's a 700-725ish OPS hitter with above average baserunning and below average defense in CF / average defense in an OF corner. Best comp I can come up with is Austin Jackson. I think he does have some surplus value in this market, and I wasn't sure if that would be the case a month or two ago.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    If you can get a good return that makes sense for maybin you deal him, but packaging him with cj wont net that return.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    I'm not opposed to packaging Maybin with CJ. I agree that having that money to spend on the free agent market or in trades beats what we will get from Maybin.

Think about it this way. Which would you rather have, Mallex in center and a 17 million dollar a year player or Maybin and CJ with Mallex being blocked.

Maybin has great value on the market right now but he's a huge risk to backslide. There's a good chance he's broken out but I don't want to be stuck with a $9 million 4th outfielder if he backslides.

Of course, if the offer was good enough for Maybin alone I would trade him and eat CJs contract.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,907 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I'm not opposed to packaging Maybin with CJ. I agree that having that money to spend on the free agent market or in trades beats what we will get from Maybin.

Think about it this way. Which would you rather have, Mallex in center and a 17 million dollar a year player or Maybin and CJ with Mallex being blocked.

Maybin has great value on the market right now but he's a huge risk to backslide. There's a good chance he's broken out but I don't want to be stuck with a $9 million 4th outfielder if he backslides.

Of course, if the offer was good enough for Maybin alone I would trade him and eat CJs contract.
    You could play Maybin in LF and Mallex in CF. Yes, we would have limited power but Mallex is not being blocked right now by Maybin IMO.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    You could play Maybin in LF and Mallex in CF. Yes, we would have limited power but Mallex is not being blocked right now by Maybin IMO.
    Maybin isn't nearly as valuable as a left fielder. It's like saying you can buy a Monet to hang over your fireplace because you can move the Picssso that's there to the bathroom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,907 Posts
    Maybin isn't nearly as valuable as a left fielder. It's like saying you can buy a Monet to hang over your fireplace because you can move the Picssso that's there to the bathroom.
    I don't think Maybin is a good defensive CF. If a novice like me is realizing this then the rest of baseball probably realizes it as well.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Maybin is still only 27 years old though. While some may consider his numbers unsustainable this year, he is still a young player who is just now at his physical peak. I'd say he has about a 4-5 year window of maintaining his performance from this year with the adjustments he has made with his hitting. Being that he is 27 years old and performing the way he has this year, he is a tremendous asset for the Braves. If you deal him, you should get 1-2 high level prospects in return in the deal. It's a classic buy low sell high situation. Maybin was a throw in just to get his contract off the books in the Kimbrel deal, and now, Atlanta could get a couple of strong prospects in return for him from a team that wants to make a push to the playoffs.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to KB21 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-05-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,907 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Maybin is still only 27 years old though. While some may consider his numbers unsustainable this year, he is still a young player who is just now at his physical peak. I'd say he has about a 4-5 year window of maintaining his performance from this year with the adjustments he has made with his hitting. Being that he is 27 years old and performing the way he has this year, he is a tremendous asset for the Braves. If you deal him, you should get 1-2 high level prospects in return in the deal. It's a classic buy low sell high situation. Maybin was a throw in just to get his contract off the books in the Kimbrel deal, and now, Atlanta could get a couple of strong prospects in return for him from a team that wants to make a push to the playoffs.
    I'm fine with trading Maybin by himself if the return is what you speak of. But to attach him to CJ just so the Braves can get out of his contract is insane.
    Natural Immunity Croc

19. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (07-05-2015)

Playing the Waiting Game keithlaw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Even if he maintains his current level of play, he's "only" a solid everyday player (1.3 fWARand 1.0 bWAR). That's great for someone who was supposed to be a salary dump, but hardly worth a high level prospect considering he's a high risk asset who at best is underpaid by a total of $10 million. Meanwhile CJ is overpaid by about $20 million, so if we can get anything for the two of them and not have to eat any money, we should do it.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to keithlaw For This Useful Post:

Horsehide Harry (07-05-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    I'm fine with trading Maybin by himself if the return is what you speak of. But to attach him to CJ just so the Braves can get out of his contract is insane.
    It's a question of whether you'd rather have more prospects or more money to go after a free agent or a big name in a trade this offseason. I don't think it's insane to use Maybin to move Johnson if it gives to flexibility this winter. I don't think it's insane to eat Johnson's contract and use Maybin to get another prospect or two.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-05-2015), Horsehide Harry (07-05-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,907 Posts
    It's a question of whether you'd rather have more prospects or more money to go after a free agent or a big name in a trade this offseason. I don't think it's insane to use Maybin to move Johnson if it gives to flexibility this winter. I don't think it's insane to eat Johnson's contract and use Maybin to get another prospect or two.
    The future of the franchise will be in better shape if they just trade Maybin by himself. Eventually, CJ's money is off thebooks and based on how the team is looking now I think a huge spike in revenues is coming where Cj's money won't be detrimental to the future.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    The money argument is stupid, there's not much money on the payroll next year.

Packaging Maybin with CJ is mind-boggling dumb, and two, we arent getting Heyward or Justin, so throw that out the window.

Just keep Maybin, unless a team if offering a really good prospect.

Even still, you arent gonna find better value than Maybin on the FA market than Maybin at 8 mil next year and 9 mil in 2017, thats some good value.

Markakis, Mallex, Markakis probably is very light offensively but if they cant land one of Justin or Jason, then what can ya do.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    I'm inclined to see what Hart does before assuming it will be dumb. His trade history to date has given me a lot of faith in him. Who's to say we don't package Maybin and CJ while getting a good prospect, that's what he did in our last salary dump. If he can turn Kimbrel and BJ into Wisler while trading part of San Diegos salary dump(Maybin) and CJs dead contract into another good prospect that would be damn impressive.

Teams get desperate this time of year. Hart seemed to premptively read the market well. Pitching appears to be in high demand and I would be surprised if we don't make another 2-3 good deals.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oklahomabrave For This Useful Post:

BravesfanMike (07-05-2015), clvclv (07-05-2015)