Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Deadline/Rumors thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    571 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    I expect Jim Johnson to go. He's the most likely. Kelly will grab some interest. Chris, well, not sure about that. Braves haven't had much luck trading him. I do expect there to be at least some interest in Gomes. Jonny doesn't have much value as an everyday player, but contending teams are ALWAYS looking for bench help at the deadline. Gomes fits that bill.

None of these guys will likely bring a top ten prospect from any trade partner, but sometimes, these types of trades can be a benefit that nobody sees coming. Think about when the Red Sox traded for Astros reliever Larry Anderson back in 1990, I think it was. Anderson did nothing basically for Boston while the player Houston got, who many saw as a marginal prospect, was Jeff Bagwell. Just a little food for thought.
    And about a decade of steroid usage later, Bagwell became the man. Food for thought.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Nick Swisher. Damn, glad that fell apart.
    Wasn't he the chop country FA choice du jour that offseason?
    Ivermectin Man

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    When thinking of salary dumps, Omar Infante has a very similar contract to CJ. Hosmer and Moose are both lefties that could use a spell against tough lefties.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,993 Posts
    I expect the Twins will look for some bullpen help and a guy I would take a look at is Oswaldo Arcia. Twins have a surplus of OFs right now. Arcia is a young (24) LHH with solid power potential. Not much of a fielder and I wonder if he is having some problems fitting in the Twins' clubhouse. Just a thought. I know we are looking for RHH, but Arcia could be a decent bat. He kills at the AAA level, but it hasn't clicked for him at the big league level yet.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I expect the Twins will look for some bullpen help and a guy I would take a look at is Oswaldo Arcia. Twins have a surplus of OFs right now. Arcia is a young (24) LHH with solid power potential. Not much of a fielder and I wonder if he is having some problems fitting in the Twins' clubhouse. Just a thought. I know we are looking for RHH, but Arcia could be a decent bat. He kills at the AAA level, but it hasn't clicked for him at the big league level yet.
    I would LOVE to grab Arcia. But I'm sure it would take one of our good SP prospects

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    The Rangers are looking for BP help and a RH OF bat. How bout we make a deal with them.

Rangers get:
    Cameron Maybin - CF
    Jim Johnson - RB

Braves get:
    Nomar Mazara - OF
    Luis Ortiz - RHP

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    I would LOVE to grab Arcia. But I'm sure it would take one of our good SP prospects
    Probably not. Twins are full up in the OF department right now although this might be Hunter's last year. I don't know what the price on Arcia would be.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    I like the idea of Johnson for Swisher. We should be able to receive a boatload of cash back because Swisher has been worse. I'm thinking enough so we net save about 10M.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    The Rangers are looking for BP help and a RH OF bat. How bout we make a deal with them.

Rangers get:
    Cameron Maybin - CF
    Jim Johnson - RB

Braves get:
    Nomar Mazara - OF
    Luis Ortiz - RHP
    0% chance the Rangers would do that

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    0% chance the Rangers would do that
    I find it hard to EVER say 0% chance of anything happening after Hart was able to unload Melvin/B. J., but wouldn't try to do something that complicated with Texas (or target Mazara) personally. I might go fishing with Johnson (and maybe a throw-in arm) for Nick Williams though.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Garmel (07-13-2015), Hawk (07-13-2015)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I find it hard to EVER say 0% chance of anything happening after Hart was able to unload Melvin/B. J.
    Yes, but posting in absolutes is so much fun
    Last edited by Hawk; 07-13-2015 at 03:21 PM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (07-15-2015), clvclv (07-13-2015), JohnAdcox (07-15-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,345 Posts
    I find it hard to EVER say 0% chance of anything happening after Hart was able to unload Melvin/B. J., but wouldn't try to do something that complicated with Texas (or target Mazara) personally. I might go fishing with Johnson (and maybe a throw-in arm) for Nick Williams though.
    Exactly. We also stole Touki from Arizona. Hart has proven that he has an ability to swindle others.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garmel For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-13-2015), JohnAdcox (07-15-2015)

Playing the Waiting Game keithlaw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Exactly. We also stole Touki from Arizona. Hart has proven that he has an ability to swindle others.
    Speaking of which, I think Aaron Hill is coming to Atlanta. Hart has already made 2 deals with Arizona that follow the "marginal propect(s) for a bad contract and a legit prospect/draft pick" formula and I bet he'll do it again.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to keithlaw For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-13-2015)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keithlaw View Post
    Speaking of which, I think Aaron Hill is coming to Atlanta. Hart has already made 2 deals with Arizona that follow the "marginal propect(s) for a bad contract and a legit prospect/draft pick" formula and I bet he'll do it again.
    As in Jose Briceno for Hill and Brandon Drury perhaps?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Just read where Texas is looking for a "complementary Right-handed bat" and relief help..

Could a package of Jim Johnson/Jonny Gomes/Mauricio Cabrera (or Luis Avilan) get us Nick Williams or if not Williams than Cordell?
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,918 Posts
    FOX Sports' Jon Morosi reports that the Mariners are "close to trading for a catcher."

Morosi doesn't provide any more details than that, so it's unclear which team or player might be involved. Mike Zunino has been arguably the worst-hitting regular in baseball this season with a .160/.223/.292 batting line, so it's no surprise the club is looking for an upgrade.

Uh, AJ? Fits nicely there IMO because they are in win now. If he had replaced "catcher" with "well traveled functional alcoholic asshole" I'd be all in its us.
    Last edited by Tapate50; 07-15-2015 at 11:08 AM.
    Ivermectin Man

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (07-15-2015), Julio3000 (07-16-2015)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    FOX Sports' Jon Morosi reports that the Mariners are "close to trading for a catcher."

Morosi doesn't provide any more details than that, so it's unclear which team or player might be involved. Mike Zunino has been arguably the worst-hitting regular in baseball this season with a .160/.223/.292 batting line, so it's no surprise the club is looking for an upgrade.

Uh, AJ? Fits nicely there IMO because they are in win now. If he had replaced "catcher" with "well traveled functional alcoholic asshole" I'd be all in its us.

Both guys having down years, but A. J. for D. J. Peterson or Patrick Kivlehan would seem to make a lot of sense for both sides.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Both guys having down years, but A. J. for D. J. Peterson or Patrick Kivlehan would seem to make a lot of sense for both sides.
    Would be fun to have both Peterson brothers in the system. Hopefully it would work out better than the Upton experiment, though!

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Some people are speculating that it's Dioner Navarro because Morosi is tight with the Toronto FO.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    WTFAA is the best acronym since LOOGY.