Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Julio T...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I have no idea what's wrong with him, but to blame it on lacking mental toughness is strange, among many other things.
    It's the easiest way for fans to explain a player's struggles, and for whatever reason, it's more often used as a rationale in baseball than any other sport.

I'm a Mississippi State fan, and it's the same thing with MSU baseball...if a highly touted player struggles for a stretch of time, even if young and inexperienced, then they 'lack mental fortitude'. If another, less highly touted player outperforms their expected production, even if for a short time, they are mentally tough. It's pretty dumb, really.

Teheran is struggling on the road badly; that is obvious. We can't trade him now when his value is at its lowest. He is almost sure to come out of this and pitch much better, and when he does, we can then have a discussion about whether he should be moved.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    I’m with Millwood1Hitter. Did anyone keep the phone number os Smoltz’s sports psychologist?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    At best a three. Heh.
    Yes...I would say Miller and Wood are 1 and 2, wouldn't you?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,773 Posts
    I never gave up on Julio. I just have been worried about his long term health because of his mechanics. There's a reason Wren and Co. Tried to alter his delivery in the minors. He's going to have shoulder problems like Hanson.
    Forever Fredi

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I have no idea what's wrong with him, but to blame it on lacking mental toughness is strange, among many other things.
    I don't know what else to call it. If there is a better term for letting misfortunes out of your control effect your start let me know one.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    523 Posts
    He got blown up twice last year. Twice in 33 starts. Those are some pretty short stretches of disaster.
    Shhhh Julio3000. Surely that doesn't count and he's trash this year. Whatever people. There is something wrong. I haven't liked his body language much at all this year and he's always been kinda demonstrative. When he misses and is not aggressive, he's been punished. He's the trade flavor of the year, but I'm in the boat that says he's not just a 3 in the rotation. Of course he's got to correct his issues, but I still believe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    That doesn't make him a three. He was a borderline Ace for his first 200 innings. So this is the version you give more weight?
    Ivermectin Man

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Girl, please. Wood has to put up some more numbers before claiming that spot. And one team's 3 could be anywhere from 1-4 on another team. So . . . "at best a 3" is still a reach.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    And, for the record, I think there is definitely something off with JT this year.

"Mental toughness" is just a lazy person's cop-out, though.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    >Not really. It's pretty obvious how quickly things go south if something doesn't go his way.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    523 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    That doesn't make him a three. He was a borderline Ace for his first 200 innings. So this is the version you give more weight?
    Preach on!!! This thread....Cajun called it

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    JT is just hittable for some reason. I think his changeup was the big difference maker in the minors and it hasn't quite had the same effect in the majors. Even his really good 2 year period, his ERA did not match his peripherals. He's young enough that it would be dumb to completely write him off, but I don't think completely throwing out 2015 is the right thing either.

I'm in the minority, but I think Wood is our best starting pitcher.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts
    Girl, please. Wood has to put up some more numbers before claiming that spot. And one team's 3 could be anywhere from 1-4 on another team. So . . . "at best a 3" is still a reach.
    Let me put it this way, all that really matters is how a guy is performing in that particular year. You need to take your homer glasses off. Even calling him a three based off just this year's performance is being kind. Act like a grown up, I know it's hard but you can do it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,926 Posts
    Let me put it this way, all that really matters is how a guy is performing in that particular year. You need to take your homer glasses off. Even calling him a three based off just this year's performance is being kind. Act like a grown up, I know it's hard but you can do it...
    Douchey post.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,583 Posts
    Douchey post.
    Did you expect anything less?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (07-29-2015)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    so you guys who think Julio is talented and "for some reason" isn't pitching up to that talent, what is McDowell's role in all this?

McDowell doesn't seem to be producing results in line with his lofty reputation. Has anyone on the Braves pitched better than last year?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Did you expect anything less?
    Professor you guys like to dish it but when somebody gives it back you can't take it...

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Is his velocity down? Maybe he's just having a bad year. Hudson's second year with us was awful.

My memory sucks but didn't Teheran start the season fairly decent until he had some sort of injury part way through a game? I recall him trying to pitch through it and he went from pitching a solid game to giving up run after run and hasn't really stopped since.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    He's been pretty good until this year. This year he has yo-yo'd from good to bad. My comments were to say that you trade him when he's good if you are going to trade him.

With that said, I certainly DON'T agree that he is anywhere near ACE quality right now or ever before. Just having a good era doesn't make you an ace. When John Burkett led Atlanta in era in 2001 he was not the ace (Maddux) nor an ACE. He was just a good pitcher having a great year.

An Ace is a pitcher that other teams fear, that other teams don't want to face. An ace is a pitcher with at least one dominating pitch. Teheran isn't that and has never been that and likely will never be that which makes him a #2 or #3, more likely a #3 on a good team. That's OK. Every team needs a good #2 or #3. But, those guys are replaceable if necessary while an ACE generally isn't.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ESP47 View Post
    Is his velocity down? Maybe he's just having a bad year. Hudson's second year with us was awful.

My memory sucks but didn't Teheran start the season fairly decent until he had some sort of injury part way through a game? I recall him trying to pitch through it and he went from pitching a solid game to giving up run after run and hasn't really stopped since.
    His walks are up by 1.5 per game and he's throwing a lot of meatballs. I think he's getting behind and then grooving pitches.