Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adam Duvall Apology Thread

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Will all three of Riley, Pache and Waters pan out. Would be nice. But I think realistically one or more might not. These "problems" have a way of sorting themselves out. With the window of contention open, I doubt the Braves operate on the assumption a path needs to be cleared for player X. Going forward, player X will have to kick the door down to force his way into the lineup. And that is as it should be.
    They probably won't all three pan out. But, I'm thinking more along the lines of moving Inciarte and Duvall's money when they still have "some" value. If they Braves bring back Donaldson, which I would like to see given any kind of reasonable cost in terms of dollars and years, then you either play Riley in LF or you trade him. That really leaves one open spot in the OF. I don't see any way the Braves don't bring Muk back given his contract, $6M with $2M buyout, so he'll be there and will probably start if Snitker is still manager. Then you have an opportunity to bring back Joyce cheap, Hamilton relatively cheap, Culberson will return, possibly Camargo will return, etc.

I think Hamilton could be nearly as valuable to the Braves and their situation on a cheap contract as Inciarte would be on his current contract.

Of course, no guarantee that anyone would pay anything for either right now. I'm just speculating that you could get a couple of highly volatile, outside the top 100, arms and a lottery ticket OF while moving the contracts.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Going into 2019 with the plan of one or more of Riley/Pache/Waters getting the majorityof playing time at any position is a really bad idea.

If JD walks, we need to bring in Moose Tacos and let him platoon with Riley at 3b and LF needs to be filled via trade or sign a FA to a short deal. Muk and Duval needs to be a last resort option. Or resign JD and go with Muk/Duval or some other cheap option.
    Certainly NOT counting on Waters or Pache to start the year in Atlanta. But the odds are pretty good that at least one will be available by mid season.

Riley is likely at 3B (assuming no Donaldson or other high end option) or LF or be gone in trade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,546 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    They probably won't all three pan out. But, I'm thinking more along the lines of moving Inciarte and Duvall's money when they still have "some" value. If they Braves bring back Donaldson, which I would like to see given any kind of reasonable cost in terms of dollars and years, then you either play Riley in LF or you trade him. That really leaves one open spot in the OF. I don't see any way the Braves don't bring Muk back given his contract, $6M with $2M buyout, so he'll be there and will probably start if Snitker is still manager. Then you have an opportunity to bring back Joyce cheap, Hamilton relatively cheap, Culberson will return, possibly Camargo will return, etc.

I think Hamilton could be nearly as valuable to the Braves and their situation on a cheap contract as Inciarte would be on his current contract.

Of course, no guarantee that anyone would pay anything for either right now. I'm just speculating that you could get a couple of highly volatile, outside the top 100, arms and a lottery ticket OF while moving the contracts.
    I agree that if we bring back Donaldson some thought has to be given about how Riley fits in. But we can kick the can down the road for a while. Given how Riley finished this season, it makes sense to send him to AAA at the start of next season to work on some things. Mainly strike zone recognition for breaking pitches. If he fixes that quickly, we can have him play left for a while. I'm not in favor of giving Donaldson a longer deal than 2 years. So it seems to me we can finesse things with Riley. Assuming he fixes his issues. No guarantee there. Do we move Ender/Duvall before that happens? I would rather wait on that one.

So I'd be happy starting 2020 with Acuna, Ender, Muk and Duvall as the outfield options. Acuna plays every day. Duvall against lefties, with one of Ender or Muk resting on those days. When the young uns down in AAA force the issue then we do something.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-05-2019 at 05:39 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-06-2019)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I agree that if we bring back Donaldson some thought has to be given about how Riley fits in. But we can kick the can down the road for a while. Given how Riley finished this season, it makes sense to send him to AAA at the start of next season to work on some things. Mainly strike zone recognition for breaking pitches. If he fixes that quickly, we can have him play left for a while. I'm not in favor of giving Donaldson a longer deal than 2 years. So it seems to me we can finesse things with Riley. Assuming he fixes his issues. No guarantee there. Do we move Ender/Duvall before that happens? I would rather wait on that one.

So I'd be happy starting 2020 with Acuna, Ender, Muk and Duvall as the outfield options. Acuna plays every day. Duvall against lefties, with one of Ender or Muk resting on those days. When the young uns down in AAA force the issue then we do something.
    I think that's a luxury viewpoint. Inciarte and Duvall combined will likely make ~$10M. IF you trade them, you have to replace them in theory. But, let's say you replace them with players that total cost of $5M PLUS you get the trade return. Let's say you get Hamilton and Joyce for $5M combined. Is Inciarte and Duvall worth the extra $5M in 2020, the $9M left after 2020 for Inciarte, PLUS the loss of the trade value gained?

Let's say you lose Donaldson, Keuchel, Teheran, O'Day, Swarzak, Martin, etc & you trade Inciarte and Duvall, you could have in the neighborhood of $70-$80M to play with, or after raises, in the neighborhood of $60M. You could shop in the Donaldson, Grandal, Wheeler, Will Smith bin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    121 Posts
    Signed. I’m sorry.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,903 Posts
    This needs more posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,546 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Yup. A guy that excels against lefties.
    2 yuge hits against righties

"I am your retribution."

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (10-07-2019), Braves1976 (10-06-2019), jpx7 (10-06-2019), Runnin (10-06-2019), The Chosen One (10-07-2019)

Prosecutor of the
    International Criminal Court

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Knowing we'd never sit Nick (even if that's what should happen), seems like we should be riding the hot hand tomorrow and start Duvall over Joyce?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts
    So Duval for MVP if we can manage to win this series?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,054 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    So Duval for MVP if we can manage to win this series?
    Unofficially. No official NLDS MVP. I believe Juan Encarnacion's agent infamously negotiated a bonus for being named NLDS MVP.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Carp (10-07-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,546 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AJonesATL View Post
    Knowing we'd never sit Nick (even if that's what should happen), seems like we should be riding the hot hand tomorrow and start Duvall over Joyce?
    likely to happen imo

"I am your retribution."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,903 Posts
    2 yuge hits against righties
    Baseball is crazy yo

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post: