Page 201 of 639 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203211251301 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,020 of 12761

Thread: The Biden Presidency

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coredor View Post
    It's nearly impossible to tie an individual storm to climate change, but when you look at the totality of event going on it's alarming. There have been a lot more named storms in recent years. The wildfire situation and the conditions that are leading to it are alarming, and it's not just California. Similar things have happened in other parts of the world. That heat wave in the Pacific northwest was basically impossible by traditional metrics. Climate change is a very serious problem, and I do think that it certainly contributes to the likelihood and frequency of hurricanes.
    The wildfire indicators are much more concerning for climate change. We are progressively having much worse fire years nearly every year and globally (the Australian bush fires were unlike anything they've ever seen there). Heatwaves (as you mentioned) and cold snaps are along the same lines... more concerning indicators. The hurricane patterns just aren't there. We have had a couple very active years but all the teleconnections said we were going to have very active years so they were expected. There was a 5 year period ending in 2013 where we only had 2 hurricanes making landfall (although there was Sandy who was later named a post-tropical cyclone). Then a persistent La Nina kicked in and it has been active over the past 3-4 years which is exactly what we would expect.
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 09-03-2021 at 11:16 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Jaw (09-03-2021)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    The African American voting bloc is up for grabs like never before Jaw.

As I've continually said...have faith. We are taking this country back.
    Catering to the absolute filth of white people will certainly bring them to your side this time
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I like Sullivan. Like with anyone, I would be concerned if I agreed with him all the time. In this case I think he's right and the enforcement mechanism is crazy. I do agree with the goal of reducing abortions, and I'm glad to see someone gaming the court for a socially conservative cause like saving baby lives, as opposed to socially progressive causes like redefining marriage or dictating who one has to bake for. I haven't gone back to look, but I suspect Sully and I would disagree on Obergefell and agree on Masterpiece, and that's okay.

And the only thing I would be a gift to is fertilizer factories.
    I like Sullivan as well

I follow him on twitter (unlike some the fraud boy claims I follow on twitter)

My favorite take from this I have read is that there is now nothing stopping a democratic state legislature doing the same law but it being about not taking the vaccine etc

The road they open by this bull**** ruling is terrifying
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,907 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    Catering to the absolute filth of white people will certainly bring them to your side this time
    Filth of white people. You must mean what we see daily in Portland.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Filth of white people. You must mean what we see daily in Portland.
    Sure, go with that lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,422 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Lol... the thethe's and sturg's of the world hate the goldy's, the 57's and the Runnin's... but none of ya'll can admit when you're wrong.
    Again I said climate change exasperated , not caused the hurricane.

And that statement is not wrong --- or even right !
    but man the evidence is piling up
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Again I said climate change exasperated , not caused the hurricane.

And that statement is not wrong --- or even right !
    but man the evidence is piling up
    Yes the evidence is piling up that climate change is real... however the evidence is not piling up that suggests that hurricanes are stronger or occur more often... there simply is no evidence of that and anyone stating otherwise is simply using conjecture and not real data.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,918 Posts
    Hard to watch, this is

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (09-03-2021), Jaw (09-03-2021), Krgrecw (09-03-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,422 Posts

Rising seas, a warming world, and Covid-19 are shaping the impact of “one of the strongest storms to ever hit Louisiana.”

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/e...canes-like-ida

The planet is warming due to emissions of greenhouse gases from burning fossil fuels. That amplifies the raw ingredients of hurricanes and can worsen storms.

While researchers are still parsing the climate signals in Hurricane Ida, scientists have known for decades that climate change worsens hurricanes for several reasons. Sea surface temperatures are rising, which infuses storms with more energy and can increase their intensity.

“As the climate warms, we expect that the upper bound of how intense a hurricane can get ... goes up at a certain rate with warming and that’s been known for 33 years,” Kerry Emanuel, a professor of atmospheric science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, told Vox last year.

Another way climate change makes hurricanes more destructive is by increasing their rainfall. Air soaks up about 7 percent more water for every degree Celsius the air warms, so warmer air means more moisture is available for precipitation. Extreme rainfall events are on the rise, and Ida drenched parts of Louisiana with as much as 24 inches of rain.

https://www.vox.com/22648189/hurrica...e-change-covid

/////////////////////

how'd the man say ?
    " dont need a weatherman, to know which way the wind blows"
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post

Rising seas, a warming world, and Covid-19 are shaping the impact of “one of the strongest storms to ever hit Louisiana.”

The planet is warming due to emissions of greenhouse gases from burning fossil fuels. That amplifies the raw ingredients of hurricanes and can worsen storms.

While researchers are still parsing the climate signals in Hurricane Ida, scientists have known for decades that climate change worsens hurricanes for several reasons. Sea surface temperatures are rising, which infuses storms with more energy and can increase their intensity.

“As the climate warms, we expect that the upper bound of how intense a hurricane can get ... goes up at a certain rate with warming and that’s been known for 33 years,” Kerry Emanuel, a professor of atmospheric science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, told Vox last year.

Another way climate change makes hurricanes more destructive is by increasing their rainfall. Air soaks up about 7 percent more water for every degree Celsius the air warms, so warmer air means more moisture is available for precipitation. Extreme rainfall events are on the rise, and Ida drenched parts of Louisiana with as much as 24 inches of rain.

https://www.vox.com/22648189/hurrica...e-change-covid

/////////////////////

how'd the man say ?
    " dont need a weatherman, to know which way the wind blows"
    Yes, Kerry Emanuel (I know him personally and would consider him a brilliant scientist but he is a bit of an alarmist on hurricane climate change) says "we EXPECT that the upper bound" goes up. However, in practice the expectations have not mirrored reality. The quote used here is also taken out of context. Please keep trying to teach me about my profession, though! You're also using articles from national geographic and vox... their number one priority is to come up with headlines and stories that will get clicks and views... this is not peer reviewed research.

Extreme rainfall is on the rise as a whole... that is true and another more savvy indicator of climate change. The precipitation that Ida put down was catastrophic but completely normal for that size of storm and its track.
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 09-03-2021 at 12:42 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Jaw (09-03-2021), thethe (09-03-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Yes, Kerry Emanuel (I know him personally and would consider him a brilliant scientist but he is a bit of an alarmist on hurricane climate change) says "we EXPECT that the upper bound" goes up. However, in practice the expectations have not mirrored reality. The quote used here is also taken out of context. Please keep trying to teach me about my profession, though! You're also using articles from national geographic and vox... their number one priority is to come up with headlines and stories that will get clicks and views... this is not peer reviewed research.

Extreme rainfall is on the rise as a whole... that is true and another more savvy indicator of climate change. The precipitation that Ida put down was catastrophic but completely normal for that size of storm and its track.
    I've enjoyed your posts on this.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

zbhargrove (09-03-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Hard to watch, this is
    I guffawed at the timing of the "Ha!" post though.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,422 Posts
    Again, we disagree on the effects climate change had on Hurricane Ida.

My reading tells me you are downplaying the contributions of warmer earth and rising warmer seas.

Don't see how this is even controversial

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts

I saw someone hypothesize that decades of overpopulation in the western US has decimated the water in the water table and rivers out there and contributed heavily to the wildfires. Do you have any thoughts on that, or is it too far separated from weather?
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I saw someone hypothesize that decades of overpopulation in the western US has decimated the water in the water table and rivers out there and contributed heavily to the wildfires. Do you have any thoughts on that, or is it too far separated from weather?
    Honestly, I'm not a fire weather expert... but if I had to guess, it is a combination of overpopulation and climate change. I think climate change does have a significant component because we have seen more active wildfires in many other areas than just the western US. Areas that overpopulation shouldn't be affecting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,918 Posts
    Honestly, I'm not a fire weather expert... but if I had to guess, it is a combination of overpopulation and climate change. I think climate change does have a significant component because we have seen more active wildfires in many other areas than just the western US. Areas that overpopulation shouldn't be affecting.
    I’d think too much fuel on the ground is the culprit for most of these fires ? Rainfall down or less ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,918 Posts
    Something something on Saturday something on Tuesday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I’d think too much fuel on the ground is the culprit for most of these fires ? Rainfall down or less ?
    For the western US I think certainly that's the case. They've had some ridiculous drought months here in the summer. The Pacific NW had a much wetter than normal spring but it has since dried out dramatically. But again... I think this is a combination of many different factors but that's certainly been one of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,907 Posts
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,907 Posts
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-custody.html

Remember when the left pretended to care about migrant minors?

Everything this ideology touch turns to ****.
    Natural Immunity Croc