Page 25 of 64 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Official pre-Draft thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,148 Posts
    Ted
    12:14 I watched Austin Beck's videos for the first time today. Am I wrong for being concerned about his swing and miss when he swings so hard?

Eric A Longenhagen
    12:15 Nope, you're on it. Scouts are concerned about the swing and miss, too. In fact, he was a guy I was told, by multiple sources, to move down the board after it went live. Huge tools, though. Still think he goes top 12 picks.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Definition of "best" isn't static.
    you should apply this logic to last year's draft.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    you should apply this logic to last year's draft.
    "Best" with respect to floor vs ceiling...not posi-Braves spin.

But I get it, you drank the koolaid and think Anderson was BPA. Nobody unaffiliated with the Braves agrees with you.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,996 Posts
    Ted
    12:14 I watched Austin Beck's videos for the first time today. Am I wrong for being concerned about his swing and miss when he swings so hard?

Eric A Longenhagen
    12:15 Nope, you're on it. Scouts are concerned about the swing and miss, too. In fact, he was a guy I was told, by multiple sources, to move down the board after it went live. Huge tools, though. Still think he goes top 12 picks.
    Please. Not another Cody Johnson.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Definition of "best" isn't static.
    McKay's position as one of the top 5 players in this draft has been.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Ted

Eric A Longenhagen
    Yeah, there are some concerns there, and with Adell, too. I'd be totally fine taking the gamble on either one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    "Best" with respect to floor vs ceiling...not posi-Braves spin.

But I get it, you drank the koolaid and think Anderson was BPA. Nobody unaffiliated with the Braves agrees with you.
    No, I get it, anytime someone disagrees with you they are a posi-brave.

My point was you latched onto silly rankings in the summer and don't acknowledge the reports that Anderson was rising up draft boards prior to the draft.

As you said, people move up and down draft boards, it isn't static.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2017/...north-carolina

In early March I was talking on the phone with an employee of a major league team, gathering the latest information on his farm system. We were talking about what he saw in instructional league when my contact suddenly changed the subject to the 2017 draft, or rather, to one particular player from the 2017 draft.

“Hey, have you ever heard of Austin Beck? This guy is going to be a monster. A monster. There’s your tip for the day. Austin Beck.”

The extremely respected David Rawnsley at Perfect Game is not a person who falls victim to hype, yet he had this to say about Beck:

“. . .the most impressive thing about Beck when I saw him was his bat and offensive profile. His hitting approach is outstanding, with a balanced set up and directional stride at the plate, ideal hand position with a calm and relaxed load and as good of lower half torque and whip as this scout has seen in a long time. The raw bat speed is extreme, absolute highest level. . .Beck hits to all fields due to his balance and ability to wait on the ball and very consistently squares the ball up.”

WEAKNESSES

Beck isn’t showing many weaknesses this spring.

The main uncertainty revolves around competition: he isn’t facing the best available right now during the high school regular season, and the 2016 injury cost him the opportunity to show what he could do against his top peers last summer. That’s not his fault, but it is an important factor when projecting his future. Yet it isn’t stopping the hype.

Back to Rawnsley:

The popular comparison in the scouting community for North Carolina's fast-rising outfielder Austin Beck has been Mike Trout, which this scout has heard three different times in the last few weeks. It seemed a bit presumptuous to compare an 18-year old who has a short a resume as Beck to the game's best player, to be honest, but after seeing Beck play in person in late March this scout began to understand where those scouts were coming from.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,148 Posts
    LOL, yes, Beck will be Mike Trout, the best player of our generation and one of the all-time greats.

Unless the Braves pass on him, at which point the posi-Braves will say he is nothing special and much worse than whoever the Braves took.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,152 Posts
    If 90-92 velocity bothers you there isn't any use in picking any pitchers this year except possibly green.

They all seem to sit in low 90s with ability to flash 96.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,148 Posts
    No, I get it, anytime someone disagrees with you they are a posi-brave.

My point was you latched onto silly rankings in the summer and don't acknowledge the reports that Anderson was rising up draft boards prior to the draft.

As you said, people move up and down draft boards, it isn't static.
    Wrong. A posi-Brave is someone who thinks Anderson was BPA because the Braves told them he was BPA. Even though they can't find a simple source that isn't affiliated with the Braves claim he was BPA, posi-Braves cling to it like it's a "fact" from the Bible.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    If 90-92 velocity bothers you there isn't any use in picking any pitchers this year except possibly green.

They all seem to sit in low 90s with ability to flash 96.
    So a HS pitcher sitting 90-92 is the same as a college pitcher sitting 90-92? You don't think the HS pitcher is much more projectable and more likely to add velocity? You don't think an 18 year old throwing 90-92 is more impressive than a 21 year old throwing that hard?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    LOL, yes, Beck will be Mike Trout, the best player of our generation and one of the all-time greats.

Unless the Braves pass on him, at which point the posi-Braves will say he is nothing special and much worse than whoever the Braves took.
    Anyone who says 'Austin Beck might be Mike Trout' is obviously a moron.

But all he posted was quotes from PG, which is a pretty well-respected site. I guess Perfect Game is now a posi-Brave.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    posi-Braves cling to it like it's a "fact" from the Bible.
    Literally no one has done this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Wrong. A posi-Brave is someone who thinks Anderson was BPA because the Braves told them he was BPA. Even though they can't find a simple source that isn't affiliated with the Braves claim he was BPA, posi-Braves cling to it like it's a "fact" from the Bible.
    What source are you using to determine that he wasn't? Signing bonus? That's a data point sure, but that's far from perfect.

I've never said I think Anderson was BPA because the Braves said so, every team in every sport always says 'WE GOT OUR GUY' after the draft, so drop that nonsense; that's just something you like to say to people when you troll.

Two things, I don't think its usually really clear who the absolute BPA guy is in a draft, especially one like last year with a ton of guys that all had some type of question marks, there was no Harper last year, there was no definite 'BPA' at #3 in the eyes of most people. I think there was a small group of players, who all had the talent and upside to be reasonably considered BPA depending on what the team was looking for, I think Anderson was in that group. Has nothing to do with what the Braves said.

Just look at Anderson and the players picked after him.

BaseballAmerica has 60s on his fastball and change, a 55 on his curve and a 55 on his control. Those grades match up just fine with ANY pitcher in the draft last year, maybe you prefer Pint/Puk and their 70+ fastball, but that also comes with a 45 grade control.

If you look at Anderson compared to the 6 pitchers picked after him (Pint, Puk, Manning, Quantrill, Groome, Garrett, Manning) Anderson and Garrett are the only two pitchers with better than 50 grade control and BA thinks higher of Anderson's fastball/changeup combo.

Just look at how scouts grade these pitchers out, look at their performance to date, try to forget that you saw a random list in the summer that didn't have Ian Anderson as a top-15 pick.

Certainly the fact that the Braves saved money was a factor here, but its also possible they got one of the guys they considered BPA in that slot while ALSO saving money.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,152 Posts
    So a HS pitcher sitting 90-92 is the same as a college pitcher sitting 90-92? You don't think the HS pitcher is much more projectable and more likely to add velocity? You don't think an 18 year old throwing 90-92 is more impressive than a 21 year old throwing that hard?
    You don't necessarily seem to buy that with Anderson.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 05-30-2017 at 01:55 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,152 Posts
    What source are you using to determine that he wasn't? Signing bonus? That's a data point sure, but that's far from perfect.

I've never said I think Anderson was BPA because the Braves said so, every team in every sport always says 'WE GOT OUR GUY' after the draft, so drop that nonsense; that's just something you like to say to people when you troll.

Two things, I don't think its usually really clear who the absolute BPA guy is in a draft, especially one like last year with a ton of guys that all had some type of question marks, there was no Harper last year, there was no definite 'BPA' at #3 in the eyes of most people. I think there was a small group of players, who all had the talent and upside to be reasonably considered BPA depending on what the team was looking for, I think Anderson was in that group. Has nothing to do with what the Braves said.

BaseballAmerica has 60s on his fastball and change, a 55 on his curve and a 55 on his control. Those grades match up just fine with ANY pitcher in the draft last year, maybe you prefer Pint/Puk and their 70+ fastball, but that also comes with a 45 grade control.

If you look at Anderson compared to the 6 pitchers picked after him (Pint, Puk, Manning, Quantrill, Groome, Garrett, Manning) Anderson and Garrett are the only two pitchers with better than 50 grade control and BA thinks higher of Anderson's fastball/changeup combo.

Just look at how scouts grade these pitchers out, look at their performance to date, try to forget that you saw a random list in the summer that didn't have Ian Anderson as a top-15 pick.

Certainly the fact that the Braves saved money was a factor here, but its also possible they got one of the guys they considered BPA in that slot while ALSO saving money.
    Also most of the players the braves could have picked signed for less than four million so there is no guarantee that they actually saved a great deal of money on Anderson.

Maybe they did, maybe they didn't.

We do know that the media members who compile draft lists valued/value the big fastball guys higher than Anderson though it's unclear if that will hold in the mid season amendments.

I can see the argument for valuing the best single pitch above a package and that was where I leaned before the draft. But I'm not going to fuss about it because it doesn't really matter what I think about it and these guys are all relatively likely to bust anyway.

Also Anderson has been great.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,512 Posts
    This again?

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Imagine my surprise when I discovered we were going to re-draft the 2016 class all over again before we start with 2017.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,148 Posts

They took the best player that would allow them to also afford Wentz and Muller. That is a perfectly acceptable draft strategy, and perhaps the best strategy to use considering the talent available and the position the Braves were in.

However, Anderson was not BPA at #3 (the B stands for "best", and by definition, there is only one).

I have no issue with what the Braves did in the draft overall (even though I would have preferred Lewis), but posi-Braves that insist on calling Anderson BPA at #3 are wrong, period. Literally nobody unaffiliated with the Braves agrees with the argument he was BPA. Nobody. Anywhere. Ever.

For some reason, the posi-Braves throw a tantrum any time someone mentions Anderson wasn't BPA as if it means we think he is nothing more than org filler, and they start foaming at the mouth while they attempt to prove that he was despite all evidence pointing to the contrary. Just because a guy wasn't BPA doesn't make him a bad prospect...it doesn't mean he won't be a good player...it just means he wasn't BPA at the time.