Page 298 of 1482 FirstFirst ... 1982482882962972982993003083483987981298 ... LastLast
Results 5,941 to 5,960 of 29630

Thread: The Coronavirus, not the beer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,907 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Were they ONLY about deaths? Of course not.

To act like deaths weren't a concern when considering the lockdown is boldface lie.
    No...they weren't.

It was always about the stress on the system.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,833 Posts
    No tyranny here. Gotta protect the people

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,833 Posts
    So shocking. Let's double down!

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Gonna be fun when the bankrupted cities (before covid) beg the feds for bailout money using covid as an excuse.

DeBlasio already saying they cant re open bc they cant afford to.
    What a hacky partisan take. Get better media intake.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,833 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    What a hacky partisan take. Get better media intake.
    Our incentive structure is backwards and governments have reason to open early when they know they can get a check from the feds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,833 Posts
    Spending this morning listening to QA calls in our consumer lending segment. A few calls are heartbreaking. Our company is reducing minimum payments to $0... and customers are literally sobbing on the phone with gratitude about this.

Their lives have been turned upside down and even delaying a $62 payment is causing a huge stressful burden to be lifted.

These folks are not being selfish for wanting to get back to work.

They are not worried about stocks. They're not worried about hair cuts. They are worried about survival.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    Spending this morning listening to QA calls in our consumer lending segment. A few calls are heartbreaking. Our company is reducing minimum payments to $0... and customers are literally sobbing on the phone with gratitude about this.

Their lives have been turned upside down and even delaying a $62 payment is causing a huge stressful burden to be lifted.

They are not worried about stocks. They're not worried about hair cuts. They are worried about survival.
    I'd be willing to give up certain liberties, such as accepting being tested frequently or being required to wear a mask, to help these people reopen their businesses safely

I'd take a vaccine once one becomes available
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-06-2020 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    We're all in this boat together. I'm trying to get a little project off the ground. I'm working with a small company in Birmingham Alabama to get it started. I've worked with them before. They're a good company. But everything is taking a lot longer to happen. We'll get through it. But there ain't a magic wand that will make everything all right.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts

I bet a lot of them are also worried about working during a pandemic. It’s amazing how not simple the issue is.

But I’m glad that Wells Fargo or whoever you work for is graciously gonna allow these people to pay more interest money to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    I bet a lot of them are also worried about working during a pandemic. It’s amazing how not simple the issue is.

But I’m glad that Wells Fargo or whoever you work for is graciously gonna allow these people to pay more interest money to them.
    Would you be willing to give up certain liberties to help

Such as

1) Wearing a mask

2) Accepting being tested frequently

3) Divulging contacts if you test positive

4) Taking a vaccine if one is developed

Just curious who around here would do these things and who would object
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-06-2020 at 12:36 PM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,833 Posts

Not WFC.

And we are suspending interest accumulation while this is ongoing

Also we are forgiving loans on certain circumstances. Though I'm not really sure the criteria.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Metaphysicist (05-06-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    States that are seeing increases in cases.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/th...cid=spartanntp

A mix of red states and blue states. SARS-CoV-2 does not care about politics.

"I am your retribution."

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts

and some of y'all are upset at the idea that maybe we could improve this society coming out of this/that there isn't something wrong with this society

people in canada, spain, germany, etc are not telling stories like this

it is a choice we have made to allow these people to suffer/stress/worry about survival and it doesn't have to be that way during this pandemic
    Last edited by goldfly; 05-06-2020 at 02:03 PM.
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Would you be willing to give up certain liberties to help

Such as

1) Wearing a mask

2) Accepting being tested frequently

3) Divulging contacts if you test positive

4) Taking a vaccine if one is developed

Just curious who around here would do these things and who would object
    of course

and all of that should be free
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    of course

and all of that should be free
    I guess there is a discussion to be had as to whether such things should be voluntary or mandated. I actually think in the kind of society we have it is better that they be voluntary. For example with wearing a mask, there should be a strong consistent recommendation from public officials that people wear them when say going grocery shopping. And public officials should model that behavior. There needs to be a consistency of messaging. But I think it would work better if it was voluntary.

It wouldn't bother me personally if they were mandated. But imo it would cost us a certain amount of social cohesion to have it mandated. So I'd lean toward voluntary compliance with the four items listed, with public officials strongly recommending them.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-06-2020 at 02:41 PM.

"I am your retribution."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (05-06-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    In the midst of the constant up-and-down of coronavirus news, both from science and the markets, it’s easy to lose sight of the scariest scenario of them all: the one where there’s no magic bullet. In this entirely plausible situation, there would be no effective Covid-19 vaccine or transformative therapy; the combination of testing and contact tracing wouldn’t successfully suppress the outbreak; and herd immunity would come, if at all, only after millions of deaths around the world.

Even raising this possibility is a big downer. But the fact that an outcome is terrible doesn’t make it impossible.

Since the end of February, I’ve conducted some 20 interviews with epidemiologists and virologists like Marc Lipsitch, Angela Rasmussen, and Carl Bergstrom; economists like Paul Romer, Stefanie Stantcheva and Larry Summers; and leaders at top hospitals and experts on government agencies whose names you may not know, but whose life’s work is preparing for moments like this one. Despite getting expert answers to dozens of my questions, the one question I haven’t been able to get an answer for is this: Who, exactly, is planning for the nightmare scenario in which we never get a vaccine or a breakthrough treatment?

I’m not one who enjoys doomsday scenarios. Yet realism absolutely demands considering every confluence of events that could occur with reasonable probability. If in fact there is no agency or department planning for the worst-case scenario, that is a major governance failure.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/america-n...153036385.html

yes, we need a plan that doesn't consist of hoping for some luck or a miracle or a silver bullet

it is an abdication of responsibility not to have such a plan
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-06-2020 at 03:32 PM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    a hopeful message from Germany

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/06/w...#link-4a73a809

Germany was a leader in the West in taking on the pandemic, and then a leader in the gradual, calibrated restarting of public life. Chancellor Angela Merkel had a hopeful message for the nation on Wednesday: It’s working.

Ms. Merkel announced the second major phase of lifting Germany’s lockdown, a milestone she said was made possible by the success the country has had in lifting some restrictions without allowing a resurgence of the virus. In that time, new infections have actually declined.

In the next few days, she said, schools, day care centers, stores and restaurants will be allowed to reopen, and hotels will follow by the end of the month.

But even as Germany reopens, things will remain far from normal. Students will attend school in staggered shifts. Social distancing in public will remain mandatory, as will mask-wearing in some places.

“We must be aware that we are still at the start of the pandemic and will continue to have to deal with the virus for a long time,” Ms. Merkel said.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    my doctor hit me up

i can finally get an antibody test on tuesday

was sick in march

couldn't get a test even though the president who thinks he is doing a great job and anyone who wants or wanted a test could get one

been waiting on this for a while cause she was trying to find one she trusted

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Curious if the people who believe that we have to open up and let people die because TYRANNY also believe that additional stimulus checks are also TYRANNY? Seems like that is an option allows the folks who can't afford $62 to stay home but also not get a pandemic infection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    i'm just going with everything is tyranny if i can't be a selfish greedy asshole anytime i feel like it