Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MONDAY MINORS 4/10 ... A.M. Baseball in Mississippi; Touki awesome

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,923 Posts
    Folks have been flat out sleeping on Soroka. I know Allard may have the higher ceiling, but Mike has shown nothing to say he should be thought of as a lesser prospect at this point.
    Ivermectin Man

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,400 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I wish Folty had a little more Soroka in him.

Folty's arm + Soroka's head = Verlander?
    agree.. Soroka has a pretty solid arm though. His curve is legit.. his change needs work. He will lose it low and away.. I think about half of the ones I saw never started where it could fool a hitter. But this is the first I saw him pitch and I was very impressed.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,400 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    They got rid of Kyle Tait at Mississippi for this guy? This is painful to listen to.
    I lost my video feed about the 6th and had to listen to the radio guy and he is HORRIBLE!!!! he gets excited about everything, so you don't know when a routine pop is a hit or out until after the play. He gets excited when the Braves K.. He bumbles names..calls a strike out when it is a foul ball.. just Turrible..

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Folks have been flat out sleeping on Soroka. I know Allard may have the higher ceiling, but Mike has shown nothing to say he should be thought of as a lesser prospect at this point.
    Who's been sleeping on him, though? He's ranked in our top 7 by pretty much everybody. Allard/Soroka are 3/4 by both Baseball America and minorleagueball.com. BP actually has Soroka one spot higher than Allard at 5, and nobody really has them far apart.

I don't know anybody on this site who's really been sleeping on Soroka. Some like Allard more, and the fact that you acknowledge he has a higher ceiling indicates why and why he may be thought of as a slightly better prospect. But I think everyone knows he's legit.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I lost my video feed about the 6th and had to listen to the radio guy and he is HORRIBLE!!!! he gets excited about everything, so you don't know when a routine pop is a hit or out until after the play. He gets excited when the Braves K.. He bumbles names..calls a strike out when it is a foul ball.. just Turrible..
    I bet he's better than Sutton.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    856 Posts
    They got rid of Kyle Tait at Mississippi for this guy? This is painful to listen to.
    Didn't Tait leave for greener pastures?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,923 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Who's been sleeping on him, though? He's ranked in our top 7 by pretty much everybody. Allard/Soroka are 3/4 by both Baseball America and minorleagueball.com. BP actually has Soroka one spot higher than Allard at 5, and nobody really has them far apart.

I don't know anybody on this site who's really been sleeping on Soroka. Some like Allard more, and the fact that you acknowledge he has a higher ceiling indicates why and why he may be thought of as a slightly better prospect. But I think everyone knows he's legit.
    If I remember right after the great year he had last year, he didn't get higher than about what....78 or so on any lists?

And he is usually the last man listed when rattling off our talent laden minors system.

And I completely forgot he just had this stellar start in his first step onto a AA mound. Wow.
    Ivermectin Man

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,400 Posts

I am finally getting to see these guys and I will say, Soroka looks the most legit thus far. He was effortless out there.. It looked like an older brother toying around with his kid brothers and his friends.. He is tall and has broad shoulders.. looked like he could pitch 120 pitches and still be fresh. Honestly reminds me of a right handed Madbum..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,512 Posts
    I wasn't able to listen to more than a few innings. He called a Carlos Castro RBI double like the Braves were in game seven of the World Series, but he also called him Curcio while he was running to second. Just awful.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    If I remember right after the great year he had last year, he didn't get higher than about what....78 or so on any lists?

And he is usually the last man listed when rattling off our talent laden minors system.

And I completely forgot he just had this stellar start in his first step onto a AA mound. Wow.
    I think his prospect ranking is simply a consequence of him being 19 years old still and not extremely highly thought-of at the time of the draft. Unless a guy sees a big spike in velocity or something, it takes a while for his prospect standing to respond to good performance.

But I think Braves fans who keep up with the minors are mostly really excited about him and think of him highly. See the inning-by-inning updates in this thread...have we done that with anyone else yet?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,400 Posts
    I wasn't able to listen to more than a few innings. He called a Carlos Castro RBI double like the Braves were in game seven of the World Series, but he also called him Curcio while he was running to second. Just awful.
    I lost focus around the 7th or 8th. partly because they had the game in hand and partly because I got annoyed by he overly excitable tone. But in his defense. he was solo and just having to talk the whole time.

The video stream was not much better. They kept using Segway graphics as if they are going to show a replay and then just go back to the exact same scene as the cut away was. It was literally a useless Miss. logo graphic interrupting the stream.. Or they would show the make some noise graphic, like I am going to start cheering at my computer.

so I guess we should just chalk it up to Minor league ball..I am sure the budget is crap for these kind of things.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,400 Posts
    I think his prospect ranking is simply a consequence of him being 19 years old still and not extremely highly thought-of at the time of the draft. Unless a guy sees a big spike in velocity or something, it takes a while for his prospect standing to respond to good performance.

But I think Braves fans who keep up with the minors are mostly really excited about him and think of him highly. See the inning-by-inning updates in this thread...have we done that with anyone else yet?

To be fair, I was just as excited to see Allard. I just wasn't able to post then. I will say from what I remember about Allard's start, he looked more timid compared to Soroka. Allard has incredible stuff.. Soroka has incredible stuff and incredible mound presence

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I lost focus around the 7th or 8th. partly because they had the game in hand and partly because I got annoyed by he overly excitable tone. But in his defense. he was solo and just having to talk the whole time.

The video stream was not much better. They kept using Segway graphics as if they are going to show a replay and then just go back to the exact same scene as the cut away was. It was literally a useless Miss. logo graphic interrupting the stream.. Or they would show the make some noise graphic, like I am going to start cheering at my computer.

so I guess we should just chalk it up to Minor league ball..I am sure the budget is crap for these kind of things.
    Haha that's hilarious. Some of it may be from the same feed as the video board, which may explain at least some of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Soroka is still seen as a polish over stuff guy by many.

IIRC Klaw questioned his frame. He looks to have plenty of frame to me.

Most non braves prospect guys seem to think of him as a low floor, low ceiling, back end starter type. We will see what happens. Obviously he has to stay healthy and refine the change up. But if he fills out some and pitches 75% of today in AA as a 19 y/o....that's got to be a top 100 guy and high potential guy right?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    He's already a top-100 guy. He's seen as more of a #3, not a back-end guy, by prospect evaluators.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,923 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Soroka is still seen as a polish over stuff guy by many.

IIRC Klaw questioned his frame. He looks to have plenty of frame to me.

Most non braves prospect guys seem to think of him as a low floor, low ceiling, back end starter type. We will see what happens. Obviously he has to stay healthy and refine the change up. But if he fills out some and pitches 75% of today in AA as a 19 y/o....that's got to be a top 100 guy and high potential guy right?
    The KLaw comment struck me as odd when I read it. He's got the frame to be a hoss. Almost like he was referring to someone else or got confused?

The control and not allowing the dinger were indictors of something special. If that continues, we got a diamond.
    Last edited by Tapate50; 04-10-2017 at 03:27 PM.
    Ivermectin Man

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    He's already a top-100 guy. He's seen as more of a #3, not a back-end guy, by prospect evaluators.
    It bears repeating ---- Soroka and Allard pitching at AA at their age is really impressive if they continue to throw well.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (04-10-2017)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Really interested to see what version of Toussaint we get this year, he struggled pretty badly first half of last season, but turned the corner bigtime down the stretch.

Also intrigued by Luke Jackson, I thought he was absolutely a bullpen arm when he came over, but if there's a small chance he could be a starter, and the Braves obviously feel like there's at LEAST a chance..... he's got a pretty big arm. Maybe he's shown something with the change up that's surprised Atlanta and they want to take a closer look.

Pipeline has him with;
    70 - Fastball
    55 - Curve
    45 - Changeup
    40 - Control

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,400 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Really interested to see what version of Toussaint we get this year, he struggled pretty badly first half of last season, but turned the corner bigtime down the stretch.

Also intrigued by Luke Jackson, I thought he was absolutely a bullpen arm when he came over, but if there's a small chance he could be a starter, and the Braves obviously feel like there's at LEAST a chance..... he's got a pretty big arm. Maybe he's shown something with the change up that's surprised Atlanta and they want to take a closer look.

Pipeline has him with;
    70 - Fastball
    55 - Curve
    45 - Changeup
    40 - Control
    wow, that is a big FB/CB combo. Gotta think with that combo his floor is closer/setup man..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    He's not in all of them.