Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do fans actually like small ball?

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    ownership is clearly trying to profit as much as they can here. f them and f everything they stand for...and that's just as they're about to rip the team away and take them to the freaking suburbs. i know that i refuse to contribute a dime to these guys. why should i support a team that clearly has no interest in winning?

this team could be a first place team, even with the "rebuild" if they had wanted it to be. screw it.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts
    Personally, I am loving it. It keeps you invested in the game as a fan. This offense is good enough to win now. The zit on this team is the middle relief as last night showed in spades.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VirginiaBrave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-12-2015)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Still blows my mind how rich baseball has gotten. We're 24th in payroll at 100million. we used to be #1 at 100 million almost two decades ago.
    Forever Fredi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (05-09-2015)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
    Still blows my mind how rich baseball has gotten. We're 24th in payroll at 100million. we used to be #1 at 100 million almost two decades ago.
    Yup. Don't even have to go back that far. in 2011 our 98M or so would put us at 13th. Which is where we were in 2011.

Literally dropped 10 spaces in 4 years at around the same payroll. One decade ago in 2005, 98M would have put us 4th in baseball, just ahead of the Phillies and just behind the Mets. And up to 2001 we would have been the top of the payroll in all of baseball.

For more fun. The first time the average major league salary went over 1M was 1992. in the 24 years since we're now right around 4M
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,905 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Yup. Don't even have to go back that far. in 2011 our 98M or so would put us at 13th. Which is where we were in 2011.

Literally dropped 10 spaces in 4 years at around the same payroll. One decade ago in 2005, 98M would have put us 4th in baseball, just ahead of the Phillies and just behind the Mets. And up to 2001 we would have been the top of the payroll in all of baseball.

For more fun. The first time the average major league salary went over 1M was 1992. in the 24 years since we're now right around 4M
    Yeah. That's how ownership has gotten around by lowering our payroll by not really lowering it. Year after year they keep saying we won't lower payroll and that's pretty much accurate. They just don't mention that everyone's payroll is essentially going up and up. It's pretty sad.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts
    Yep, we need sole ownership that wants a ring. As long as we make Malone and co. a profit it won't happen. That's the sad part.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    the kimbrel trade in theory was great with how they dumped bj's contract. then you step back and realize that nothing changed and ownership was simply dumping salary and having no intention to do anything with the savings and it's beyond clear that they're just out to profit as much as possible. the braves have become the pittsburgh pirates. enjoy.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,046 Posts
    The Braves really haven't had an opportunity to do anything with the payroll saved. The trade was made on opening day. Not sure what way we were supposed to use the savings at that point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    The Braves really haven't had an opportunity to do anything with the payroll saved. The trade was made on opening day. Not sure what way we were supposed to use the savings at that point.
    how convenient

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    obviously dumping bj was going to be in their plans. they knew it and could have payed the good upton or tried to pay somebody else. or they could have loaded up a team full of kelly johnsons and gone for it!

i'm way past giving this group the benefit of the doubt. i can't actually believe anybody out there would still cling to hope that they give a **** about anything other than maximizing profit...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,046 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    how convenient
    Not sure what's convenient about that? Unless you think this trade was agreed upon 4-5 months ago and they decided not to make it official til opening day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Not sure what's convenient about that? Unless you think this trade was agreed upon 4-5 months ago and they decided not to make it official til opening day.
    i guess ignorance makes it much easier to stomach. kudos to you. maybe i'm wrong and liberty has been doing everything they could for the fan over the last decade. maybe they truly didn't know they would dump bj's contract and maybe buying a team full of eric young jrs was just a coincidence.

meanwhile, this would be a first place team had they even halfway tried. i just can't for the life of me see how you can't see what this is...and i'm not even talking about the trades, most of which i'm fine with.