Thread: Upcoming Road Trip

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Don't expect a parade, but I don't think I am being negative either when the record since May 1st has been less than stellar.
    Saying we'll be 3rd or 4th?

That is.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts
    Why? Prior to the Marlins tanking over the last 10 days it was very possible. Not to mention after the Philly performance in ATL it looked likely. I guess I just don't see the problem in being critical when warranted. Especially when everyday there are 50 new posts about Fredi needing fired when in fact he is the winningest manager in MLB since he took over, but somehow or other we can do better...

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,038 Posts
    Why? Prior to the Marlins tanking over the last 10 days it was very possible. Not to mention after the Philly performance in ATL it looked likely. I guess I just don't see the problem in being critical when warranted. Especially when everyday there are 50 new posts about Fredi needing fired when in fact he is the winningest manager in MLB since he took over, but somehow or other we can do better...
    Well, we've won seven straight. How do you feel now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,756 Posts
    Here is an overall view of fanbases in the division.

Mets - we suck, hopefully we get a high draft pick. And we have the worst manager ever.
    Nats - we suck and can't compete with thr braves. And we have the worst manager ever.
    Phillis - we wish we were the braves, we will be lucky to not finish last. And we have the worst manager and gm ever.
    Marlins - harder to find than Waldo

If you would be considered a homer for another team then I think you might be overly negative.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    That is so true. Pascual Perez was a looker, too.

Who can forget Terry Forster?

image.jpg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (07-03-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Because thinking the Marlins are clearly better than us (as you had stated) was and is a joke. We have so much more depth and talent than that team. We weren't playing our best but you were so sure they were better despite them trailing us all year so far. That's being overly pessimistic, not "critical." Criticism is fine, declaring that the Nats and Marlins are definitely going to finish ahead of us because of a rough patch is Chicken Little syndrome.

Welcome to baseball. This is how season's often go for teams. Any team can have success in the playoffs, just get in.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Because thinking the Marlins are clearly better than us (as you had stated) was and is a joke. We have so much more depth and talent than that team. We weren't playing our best but you were so sure they were better despite them trailing us all year so far. That's being overly pessimistic, not "critical." Criticism is fine, declaring that the Nats and Marlins are definitely going to finish ahead of us because of a rough patch is Chicken Little syndrome.

Welcome to baseball. This is how season's often go for teams. Any team can have success in the playoffs, just get in.
    BS to your last line and you know it. If it were true the Braves would have more than one championship and you know that too. The law of averages would have smiled on us at least once and it didn't. And where exactly is all this depth you speak of? The big league bench is weak. And as I understand it only Parazza and Bethancourt can be considered impact prospects for the next year or so. I nominate you for leadership of the Braves sunshine squad cause you wear Braves sunglasses all the time I'll give you that.
    Last edited by VirginiaBrave; 07-03-2014 at 12:29 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VirginiaBrave For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (07-03-2014)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Well, we've won seven straight. How do you feel now?
    A little better but not great. Win seven in a row and not able to create any seperation at all...that's another bad sign...

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,901 Posts
    A little better but not great. Win seven in a row and not able to create any seperation at all...that's another bad sign...
    We've gained 2 games on the Nats since leaving Washington. Also made a lot of improvements in a potential Wild Card race. Went from 1 over .500 to 9 over. That's good regardless of how many games we are above the Nats. Just win games.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Because the Nats are playing well too.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    BS to your last line and you know it. If it were true the Braves would have more than one championship and you know that too. The law of averages would have smiled on us at least once and it didn't. And where exactly is all this depth you speak of? The big league bench is weak. And as I understand it only Parazza and Bethancourt can be considered impact prospects for the next year or so. I nominate you for leadership of the Braves sunshine squad cause you wear Braves sunglasses all the time I'll give you that.
    He's right on, playoffs are a crapshoot.

Always has been, there isnt a formula to winning in the playoffs despite some on here saying otherwise.

Still, saying we would be 3rd or 4th is negative as hell and you know it.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    223 Posts
    I realized yesterday we are in the middle of 31 straight games playing teams under .500. So far, 9-1 in this stretch. I'd like to see at least 21-10!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    LOL so this team has anything to do with the 90s teams? Or the teams from the 2000s?
    We have a solid lineup top to bottom. The Marlins were/are overachieving with guys like McGehee, Salty, Dietrich, Hechavarria, who were all playing better than they actually are for a time to begin the season. But you said we were sure to finish below them. It was so clear!
    I said we have more depth than they do and that's not debateable. We have a better lineup, a better staff, and a better bullpen. Where did I bring up prospects, anyway?
    Just admit it, you jumped the gun and you're overly pessimistic. I guess that's your MO, but it's lame and makes you look stuipid (like when you say the MARLINS will surely finish ahead of us, and we MIGHT BE 4TH).

I don't "wear my Braves sunglasses all the time." I have my concerns and criticisms for sure. I'm not dumb enough to declare that we're the 4th best team in the division. That's just ****ing dumb.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

Garmel (07-04-2014), Heyward (07-03-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    We can't control what the Nats do. They're winning games, just like we are. They have rough patches, just like we did. They will have more, just like we will. When we lose three in a row i'm sure you'll be leading your "we're bottom dwellers!!" charge, and then look dumb (again) when it doesn't happen. Carry on. Did you know there are 162 games in a baseball season? Featured in those 162 games are a lot of ups and downs. Welcome to baseball, thanks for joining us! Be prepared to jump ship and make a new declaration about how much we stink when we struggle a bit. It's like a high school girl going through PMS.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    We can't control what the Nats do. They're winning games, just like we are. They have rough patches, just like we did. They will have more, just like we will. When we lose three in a row i'm sure you'll be leading your "we're bottom dwellers!!" charge, and then look dumb (again) when it doesn't happen. Carry on. Did you know there are 162 games in a baseball season? Featured in those 162 games are a lot of ups and downs. Welcome to baseball, thanks for joining us! Be prepared to jump ship and make a new declaration about how much we stink when we struggle a bit. It's like a high school girl going through PMS.
    I already had a seat on the Braves train before you got on board most likely. You don't need to welcome me to anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,756 Posts
    When you can't even be positiv about a 7 game winning streak you might be overly negative. What a dissapoinrnent our 1st place team is.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Heyward (07-03-2014)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    He's right on, playoffs are a crapshoot.

Always has been, there isnt a formula to winning in the playoffs despite some on here saying otherwise.

Still, saying we would be 3rd or 4th is negative as hell and you know it.
    Nope. The playoffs aren't a crapshoot. That's just a way to explain away failure. If they were somewhere during that 11 year run the Big 3 were together we would have won more than once.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    Nope. The playoffs aren't a crapshoot. That's just a way to explain away failure. If they were somewhere during that 11 year run the Big 3 were together we would have won more than once.
    I think you have a misunderstanding of the law of averages. If you toss a coin 10 times on average it will come up heads 5 times. But sometimes it comes up heads zero times. Other times in comes up heads once. Sometimes it will come up heads 9 or 10 times.

The random element involved in short series means if you make the playoffs 10 times, there is a chance you will win the world series zero times and a chance you will win it 10 times, and a chance you win it any number of times between zero and ten.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think you have a misunderstanding of the law of averages. If you toss a coin 10 times on average it will come up heads 5 times. But sometimes it comes up heads zero times. Other times in comes up heads once. Sometimes it will come up heads 9 or 10 times.

The random element involved in short series means if you make the playoffs 10 times, there is a chance you will win the world series zero times and a chance you will win it 10 times, and a chance you win it any number of times between zero and ten.
    No I get you, but one time out of the 13 years excluding 1995 if the playoffs were a crapshoot the breaks should have gone our way and didn't. Somebody on the Braves should have had a Leyritz momment to lift us to a 2nd title thats all I am saying.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Tigers have had Verlander/Scherzer plus other studs the last 3 years, no titles.

LA had Greinke/Kershaw/Ryu and lost in 6.

There is no specific formula.