Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GDT: Phillies vs Braves 9/3/14 12:10pm first pitch....

Playing the Waiting Game Bdawg2309's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    CB catching= wins.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Anybody going to give Fredi credit for playing CB today? Looks brilliant in hindsight.

I think CB has a long way to go offensively, but those of you who have declared that he will never hit enough to play are jumping the gun. While Simmons is struggling to change his approach to putting the ball in play instead of hitting it as far as he can, that appears to be one area where Bethancourt shows promise. He is not McCann or Gattis with the bat, but nowhere near as bad as some of you have already declared to be.

I think he will be a big improvement over Uggla, BJ, CJ with the bat. We see glimpses from time to time of what he can be. Just do it with a little more consistency and I think we will be happy with him as a Catcher.
    He is Chris Johnson with the bat and not the Chris Johnson who bats over .300. We already have a bunch of guys who don't walk and don't have much power, why do we need another one? I understand the need for defense but you're basically replacing Gattis with Chris Johnson's bat.

All you're doing is adding to the exact problem we've been trying to fix.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ESP47 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (09-03-2014)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ESP47 View Post
    He is Chris Johnson with the bat and not the Chris Johnson who bats over .300. We already have a bunch of guys who don't walk and don't have much power, why do we need another one? I understand the need for defense but you're basically replacing Gattis with Chris Johnson's bat.

Still young enough to get better.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    836 Posts

I'm a fan of Gattis but IMO Bethancourt is already better than Evan defensively with a considerably higher upside. it seems that NL pitching has adjusted to Gattis and gets him out on a regular bias since the ASB. I'd be curious whether Gattis' pre- and post- All Star Game batting average and slugging percentage statistics bear that out.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to USMA76 For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (09-03-2014)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Still young enough to get better.
    I can see him gaining some power but most guys don't just up and start taking walks after years of walking at a beyond abysmal rate.

Quote Originally Posted by USMA76 View Post
    I'm a fan of Gattis but IMO Bethancourt is already better than Evan defensively with a considerably higher upside. it seems that NL pitching has adjusted to Gattis and gets him out on a regular bias since the ASB. I'd be curious whether Gattis' pre- and post- All Star Game batting average and slugging percentage statistics bear that out.
    NL pitching adjusted to Gattis last year. He hasn't been the same since he got hurt right before the ASB.

Bethancourt will never be as good offensively has Gattis has been this year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    836 Posts
    I can see him gaining some power but most guys don't just up and start taking walks after years of walking at a beyond abysmal rate.

NL pitching adjusted to Gattis last year. He hasn't been the same since he got hurt right before the ASB.

Bethancourt will never be as good offensively has Gattis has been this year.
    While I agree it's doubtful that Bethancourt will ever approach Gattis' power numbers, there's no reason to believe that Christian can't at least match Evan's current batting average of .270.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,911 Posts
    Yeah, Gattis is definitely still bothered by the injury. He was destroying the ball prior to getting hurt and will continue to do so in his career. He is just better stuited to be a DH.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Im a big fan of Bethancourt, but if you tell me Fredi did so knowing CB would get hits today, I will laugh in your face.

And some people need to consider sample size, CB was hitting .240 coming into the game.

I am a big fan of his and think hes a starting catcher that will develop to maybe league average numbers offensively for a catcher.....but this talk about him is comical.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (09-03-2014)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USMA76 View Post
    While I agree it's doubtful that Bethancourt will ever approach Gattis' power numbers, there's no reason to believe that Christian can't at least match Evan's current batting average of .270.
    I have no doubt he can match .270. But hitting .270 with little power and no walks makes you Chris Johnson.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,039 Posts
    Well if he's not going to become anything, then he should replace Laird as backup catcher.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    836 Posts
    I have no doubt he can match .270. But hitting .270 with little power and no walks makes you Chris Johnson.
    Bethancourt is a far better defensive catcher than anyone we currently have at that position who will only get better. I'd rather have his defense in the lineup but that's, obviously, an individual opinion and a tradeoff. Offensively, Bethancourt's numbers are still a fairly small sample size. He was sent back to the minors and appeared to adjust well at the plate. There's not much more he can prove at AAA so I think he deserves the opportunity to demonstrate whether or not he can improve at the MLB level.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,265 Posts
    Baseball makes no sense

Haha

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,039 Posts
    Looked like Freeman was pissed off at the end of the game.

We got a win, but another blown opportunity losing two of three to these rejects.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,768 Posts
    Once again, Fredi is a managerial genius. 7 runs with half of a bsquad lineup out there. 0 runs with A squad lineup.
    Forever Fredi

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,997 Posts
    Which is why you replace Chris Johnson.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,768 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think everyone here except Niners and Dalyn would agree with this.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    836 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Actually, elite (or the potential to be) defensively plus suspect/unproven offensive skills makes you more like Andrelton Simmons than Chris Johnson IMO. Good MLB teams are built on pitching and defense--particularly defense up the middle. We have one great defender at those four key positions now and I'd like to add another.

When Molina came up with the Cardinals he was superior defensively but not much at the plate. He got the chance and made the most of it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Bethancourt is Molina but he has a similar foundation of defensive skills. He's the guy I'd build my team's future around at catcher.

Clearly, there are other opinions and factors that favor Gattis. I understand those. I'd still rather go forward with Bethancourt behind the plate for the reasons I've articulated in my last couple of posts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,544 Posts
    The Gattis-Bethancourt situation is going to be very interesting to follow. I imagine we will get a good offer for one or both this off-season. Given the team's offensive struggles, I don't think we should be replacing Gattis' bat with a Chris Johnson equivalent. I appreciate there is a defensive upgrade with Bethancourt, but it is quite a stretch to say he is the catching equivalent of Simmons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,911 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The Gattis-Bethancourt situation is going to be very interesting to follow. I imagine we will get a good offer for one or both this off-season. Given the team's offensive struggles, I don't think we should be replacing Gattis' bat with a Chris Johnson equivalent. I appreciate there is a defensive upgrade with Bethancourt, but it is quite a stretch to say he is the catching equivalent of Simmons.
    See if Boston would take Gattis for Betts. I'd love to have that kid in CF for us.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    836 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I don't know if it's any more of a stretch to say he'll never be better offensively than Johnson either. I do know that for the last couple of years Bethancourt has been rated one of the, if not the, best defensive catchers in the minor leagues. I'd like to give Bethancourt a lot more ABs before consigning him to the label of "another Chris Johnson."