Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIck Cheney Wrong then, Wrong now...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Not stateside you crazy foreigner.
    Just a heads up.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,777 Posts
    I find it interesting how the Republican rhetoric on Iran has evolved.

2008 and 2012 election cycles: "We must stop Iran now! Any day now the clock is ticking they're going to attack us and Israel!"

Today: "Iran doesn't have a nuclear weapon, they don't pose a threat in their current state, their military is not that strong. With this deal, we're giving them the keys to a Corvette for free!"
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    I wonder if POTUS's Iran deal is in part his means of dealing with ISIS.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (09-11-2015)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,777 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Iran and ISIS do not see eye to eye.

I do think Iran long term is a better ally in helping us take down ISIS than Afghanistan, Iraq, or Pakistani governments.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    Iran and ISIS do not see eye to eye.

I do think Iran long term is a better ally in helping us take down ISIS than Afghanistan, Iraq, or Pakistani governments.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about - Shi'a vs. Sunni.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (09-10-2015)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Yeah, that's what I'm talking about - Shi'a vs. Sunni.
    Remember a few years back when I got called names (not that that's unusual) for saying we should split Iraq up into 3 separate states, 1 Sunni, 1 Shi-ite, and 1 Kurdish state? We definite should be (and should HAVE BEEN) playing the Sunnis and Shi-ites off against each other, I just don't think the DUMAS's in our government have the sense to know how. I don't think they understand the Middle East now and I don't think they have ever really understood it.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,777 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    Remember a few years back when I got called names (not that that's unusual) for saying we should split Iraq up into 3 separate states, 1 Sunni, 1 Shi-ite, and 1 Kurdish state? We definite should be (and should HAVE BEEN) playing the Sunnis and Shi-ites off against each other, I just don't think the DUMAS's in our government have the sense to know how. I don't think they understand the Middle East now and I don't think they have ever really understood it.
    Just to clarify are you saying separate countries or states/provinces within a united Iraq?
    Forever Fredi

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Just to clarify are you saying separate countries or states/provinces within a united Iraq?
    Wouldn't they have to be separate countries? Wouldn't making them separate states inside one united Iraq solve anything?

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,777 Posts
    Wouldn't they have to be separate countries? Wouldn't making them separate states inside one united Iraq solve anything?
    That's what I was thinking. I remember reading problems with the 3 state solution is most of the oil is in one area which if Iraq were divided into 3 would be the Sunni territory I think?
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    That's what I was thinking. I remember reading problems with the 3 state solution is most of the oil is in one area which if Iraq were divided into 3 would be the Sunni territory I think?

And they aren't all neatly separated communities - the Shia and Sunnis, though pockets can be found, are fairly interspersed. The Biden/Hawk plan, while sounding good initially, would have caused major dispersion and would have been equally (imo) easy to screw-up.

And OHawk, please don't consider my disagreeing with you on that as me calling you a name.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    And they aren't all neatly separated communities - the Shia and Sunnis, though pockets can be found, are fairly interspersed. The Biden/Hawk plan, while sounding good initially, would have caused major dispersion and would have been equally (imo) easy to screw-up.

And OHawk, please don't consider my disagreeing with you on that as me calling you a name.
    Never crossed my mind. By the way, what's your solution here?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    To the Iran deal? ISIS? Iraq? The refugee crisis? Or all of the above?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,005 Posts
    I think that is part of it and it might be crazy on the part of the administration to think that. But as long as Iran was isolated, how could anyone make a request of them to help with anything? The Iran deal certainly is a risk, but so was doing nothing. The question is whether or not moving Iran from the kids' table to the adults' table is really going to accomplish anything. I've held all along that the agreement doesn't preclude the US or Israel from bombing the crap out of Iran if they violate the treaty (or even if they don't). One can argue that the revenue bump from the relaxation of the sanctions will fund Hezbolla and Hamas, but again, if there comes a point when the West views that as a violation that forces intervention, it can clearly intervene (and that intervention would likely have stronger validation as Iran would have re-entered the international community and would be treated as such).

The state-level actors in the Middle East have to step up on the ISIL issue. There are plenty of viable reasons why someone can oppose (or support) the Iran deal, but if it somehow gets the state level actors more involved in policing their region, it will be a net plus.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,005 Posts
    That was a plan floated by some, including then Presidential candidate Joe Biden. Like you, I always thought that made sense. The problem is that Turkey doesn't like it because it would have established a legitimate Kurdish state.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Not that countries you're describing are actually on the market to be bought and dominated by the U.S., but does $12 billion a month sound reasonable? (The Business Insider, June, 2014)
    Oh really? You mean like Russia and the Ukraine? Or the Chechen Republic? Or Georgia? This type of sentiment is precisely what I referred to in my original post as 'rose colored naivete' -- a pampered and unrealistic worldview. Sure, it would be swell if the major players behaved as peaceably as you seem to think they are capable of ... but they don't, haven't, and never will.

Why do you think Japan is modifying Article 9?

That's what happens when the public realizes it has once again been bamboozled into an unnecessary war.
    This had nothing to do with it, whatsoever. I'm talking about events that unfolded a decade later.

It's a sad day when we gauge the success of conflicts based solely on dollars spent.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Oh really? You mean like Russia and the Ukraine? Or the Chechen Republic? Or Georgia? This type of sentiment is precisely what I referred to in my original post as 'rose colored naivete' -- a pampered and unrealistic worldview. Sure, it would be swell if the major players behaved as peaceably as you seem to think they are capable of ... but they don't, haven't, and never will.

Why do you think Japan is modifying Article 9?

This had nothing to do with it, whatsoever. I'm talking about events that unfolded a decade later.

It's a sad day when we gauge the success of conflicts based solely on dollars spent.
    Again, it's rich and ironic for any supporter of the Iraq War and its putative after-effects to criticize anyone else for "rose-colored naivete." A democratic Iraq, allied with the US and influencing the region in favor of our interests, was the stated goal of the war, and is the ultimate expression of naive foreign policy.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Again, it's rich and ironic for any supporter of the Iraq War and its putative after-effects to criticize anyone else for "rose-colored naivete." A democratic Iraq, allied with the US and influencing the region in favor of our interests, was the stated goal of the war, and is the ultimate expression of naive foreign policy.
    Well, it's wide-eyed in and of itself to believe that our chief goal in the Iraqi engagement was liberation.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Well, it's wide-eyed in and of itself to believe that our chief goal in the Iraqi engagement was liberation.
    It sure is. You can make an argument—which would surely be disputed, but you could make it—that it was the best and noblest by-product of the invasion, but to say that it was the chief goal of the war's architects is a lovely, blissful bit of naivete.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    It sure is. You can make an argument—which would surely be disputed, but you could make it—that it was the best and noblest by-product of the invasion, but to say that it was the chief goal of the war's architects is a lovely, blissful bit of naivete.
    It would be fair, of course, to say that's how it was packaged and (quite successfully) sold.
    Last edited by Hawk; 09-13-2015 at 11:05 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think that is part of it and it might be crazy on the part of the administration to think that. But as long as Iran was isolated, how could anyone make a request of them to help with anything? The Iran deal certainly is a risk, but so was doing nothing. The question is whether or not moving Iran from the kids' table to the adults' table is really going to accomplish anything. I've held all along that the agreement doesn't preclude the US or Israel from bombing the crap out of Iran if they violate the treaty (or even if they don't). One can argue that the revenue bump from the relaxation of the sanctions will fund Hezbolla and Hamas, but again, if there comes a point when the West views that as a violation that forces intervention, it can clearly intervene (and that intervention would likely have stronger validation as Iran would have re-entered the international community and would be treated as such).

The state-level actors in the Middle East have to step up on the ISIL issue. There are plenty of viable reasons why someone can oppose (or support) the Iran deal, but if it somehow gets the state level actors more involved in policing their region, it will be a net plus.

Shia hate Sunnis and Jews
    ISIS Sunni hate Shia and Jews
    Jews more fearful of Shia/Iran than Sunnis (at least until ISIS)

POTUS is now elevating the Iran-Assad axis to counter ISIS and to curry favor with those who hate Israel's influence. The next POTUS will probably go in another direction to keep things "balanced."