Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Dansby Swanson Already Proving He Belongs

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    The comparison came from a former major leaguer Dan Plesac and was backed up by another former MLB player in Harold Reynolds, and scouts have made the comparison as well. And you guys are fools gold if you think you're gonna be happy with Swanson if that is indeed what he becomes, because let me tell you something, Walt Weiss was a nice MLB player that had a long career, but wasn't a player a team and especially a contending team could build around. Weiss wasn't responsible for the success that the A's had in the early 90's, that can be attributed to the bash brothers, Ricky Henderson, Dennis Eckersley, etc. And let's face it, in his early years Weiss was barely a 600 OPS player....this is what yall would be happy with as a top prospect? No, those guys are dime a dozen. He better be more like Derek Jeter than Walt Weiss.
    Two of the most-renowned names in the player evaluation community, no less.

Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    The comparison came from a former major leaguer Dan Plesac
    The sound of his voice annoys me, so I don't personally pay much attention.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-16-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,150 Posts
    The comparison came from a former major leaguer Dan Plesac and was backed up by another former MLB player in Harold Reynolds, and scouts have made the comparison as well. And you guys are fools gold if you think you're gonna be happy with Swanson if that is indeed what he becomes, because let me tell you something, Walt Weiss was a nice MLB player that had a long career, but wasn't a player a team and especially a contending team could build around. Weiss wasn't responsible for the success that the A's had in the early 90's, that can be attributed to the bash brothers, Ricky Henderson, Dennis Eckersley, etc. And let's face it, in his early years Weiss was barely a 600 OPS player....this is what yall would be happy with as a top prospect? No, those guys are dime a dozen. He better be more like Derek Jeter than Walt Weiss.
    I have the hardest time deciding if you're being serious. Harold Reynolds is quite possibly the stupidest baseball analyst involved in the sport, so if Plesac agrees with him he is probably wrong as well. Further, I like to think I'm pretty in tune with the Braves prospect reports, and I haven't seen a single report from a legit prospect site that thinks Swanson's most likely outcome is Weiss. I can see Weiss as Swanson's worst case scenario, but not his most likely comp.

For what it's worth, everything I have seen and read tells me the Braves have the next Alan Trammell on their hands.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    A #1 overall pick has more ambitious projections, and, yes, Walt Weiss was a pretty good player.
    Braves didn't draft him#1 or give up much for him. They don't need him to perform like a #1.

I think he hadn't demonstrated he was ready and the front office was being honest in saying he probably was being rushed. I think the finances were relevant consideration. I think it's a sss and he may yet show he needed more seasoning.

Ultimately I don't think it's that big a deal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    If anyone thinks Swanson has a chance to be a .600 OPS player, I don't care about any of their opinions.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Braves didn't draft him#1
    No kidding.

or give up much for him.
    The D-Backs thought that was the case, which was why they dropped their drawers.

They don't need him to perform like a #1.
    Will take a wait & see approach, as it's very early days...but there's no reason not to expect (or at least hope for) greatness at this point.

I think he hadn't demonstrated he was ready and the front office was being honest in saying he probably was being rushed. I think the finances were relevant consideration. I think it's a sss and he may yet show he needed more seasoning.
    That's already been mentioned upteen dozen times on the forum. Nothing personal, but kind of tired of hearing about it now.

Ultimately I don't think it's that big a deal.
    My opinion, as well. It's done.
    Last edited by Knucksie; 09-17-2016 at 07:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    We know you "can easily see the argument to call him up" because you've been riding that horse to death.
    actually i haven't really said much about it, but sure, go on. In fact, pretty sure I've made one or maybe two posts about it (in this thread alone - no where else).

it's kinda interesting you only call out one side of the snide remarks, while agreeing with the other side. why is that?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,768 Posts
    Dansby might be ready for the bigs but I certainly was not ready to read the exchanges in this thread.
    Forever Fredi

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

CrimsonCowboy (09-20-2016), Julio3000 (09-19-2016)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Dansby might be ready for the bigs but I certainly was not ready to read the exchanges in this thread.
    This.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I think everyone except a few fairly obvious trolls forecast success for Dansby. How much success he'd have in his first taste of the bigs was probably subject to more variability ... and is way less imoportant or relevant. At this point, nobody should be taking a victory lap for what the kid does in any given week. It's silly.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (09-19-2016), chop2chip (09-19-2016), jpx7 (09-19-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    At this point, nobody should be taking a victory lap for what the kid does in any given week. It's silly.
    And I don't think anyone is. My ONE comment since he's been promoted certainly doesn't qualify. This thread was made to discuss how our top prospect was holding his own in his extremely young career. I wouldn't call it a victory lap.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    494 Posts
    No enthusiasm or excitement for the future allowed. The worst case scenario is the only viable expectation. That way if you are wrong, you can say you are happy to be wrong, and if you are right you can gloat and ridicule anyone with higher expectations.

Is that how it works?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,709 Posts
    I've been impressed by Dansby. The Jeter ceiling is still applicable based on what I've seen, although obviously it's unlikely he'll reach that ceiling. Defensively he's been a bit better than I expected. He's got a positive dwar despite the low fielding %. I'm not concerned about his errors at all. Most of his miscues have come on fairly routine plays where he seems a bit rushed. I don't think that will continue as he continues to play. He had a .970 plus fld pct in the minors.

Realistically I think it's more likely Dansby will be like Stephen Drew.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    And I don't think anyone is. My ONE comment since he's been promoted certainly doesn't qualify. This thread was made to discuss how our top prospect was holding his own in his extremely young career. I wouldn't call it a victory lap.
    I don't think this thread is a victory lap.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,832 Posts
    I don't think this thread is a victory lap.
    Only speaking for myself, I wasn't referring to this thread, per se. Notwithstanding the fact that "holding is own" is not necessarily commensurate with "proving he belongs" (and I think there's an important, if subtle, difference there), it's not really the content of this specific thread to which I was referring.

On the other hand, if there's been an unwarranted "victory lap", it's been seen in pretty much every single game-thread coinciding with any game in which he's scored a hit since he's been called up, along with a few other threads tangentially touching on Swanson as part of the general theme of the Braves' future.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (09-19-2016)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,832 Posts
    actually i haven't really said much about it, but sure, go on. In fact, pretty sure I've made one or maybe two posts about it (in this thread alone - no where else).

it's kinda interesting you only call out one side of the snide remarks, while agreeing with the other side. why is that?
    Well to be an overly-technical dick, you actually have five posts on the subject, preceding the one above-quoted, in this thread alone—and I know you've been generally supportive of elevating him this season, versus holding off. But, for what it's worth, I wasn't implicating you in the reference to "oh he not ready?!" posts (the unnecessary, too-soon "victory lap") that I mentioned in the final sentence; I just used your posts as a jumping-off point to reiterate that nobody wants to see him fail, and nobody is burned that he's performed well, but that still doesn't mean promoting him in 2016 was the slam-dunk right decision.

Meanwhile, I didn't see a lot of snide remarks on the "maybe the Braves should wait to call up Swanson" side, but perhaps that's simply because those opinions seemed to be (or were?) in the minority.
    Last edited by jpx7; 09-19-2016 at 07:05 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (09-19-2016), Managuarantano's Volunteers (09-19-2016)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I've been impressed by Dansby. The Jeter ceiling is still applicable based on what I've seen, although obviously it's unlikely he'll reach that ceiling. Defensively he's been a bit better than I expected. He's got a positive dwar despite the low fielding %. I'm not concerned about his errors at all. Most of his miscues have come on fairly routine plays where he seems a bit rushed. I don't think that will continue as he continues to play. He had a .970 plus fld pct in the minors.

Realistically I think it's more likely Dansby will be like Stephen Drew.
    How about this. He's doing a fine job of being Dansby.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Only speaking for myself, I wasn't referring to this thread, per se. Notwithstanding the fact that "holding is own" is not necessarily commensurate with "proving he belongs" (and I think there's an important, if subtle, difference there), it's not really the content of this specific thread to which I was referring.

On the other hand, if there's been an unwarranted "victory lap", it's been seen in pretty much every single game-thread coinciding with any game in which he's scored a hit since he's been called up, along with a few other threads tangentially touching on Swanson as part of the general theme of the Braves' future.
    Yes, that. I'm surprised that elaboration is needed, but there it is.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,038 Posts
    Yes, that. I'm surprised that elaboration is needed, but there it is.
    Knock it off, you guys. Here's a nice kitten video for you to enjoy.

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture...st-cat-videos/

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Well to be an overly-technical dick, you actually have five posts on the subject, preceding the one above-quoted, in this thread alone—and I know you've been generally supportive of elevating him this season, versus holding off. But, for what it's worth, I wasn't implicating you in the reference to "oh he not ready?!" posts (the unnecessary, too-soon "victory lap") that I mentioned in the final sentence; I just used your posts as a jumping-off point to reiterate that nobody wants to see him fail, and nobody is burned that he's performed well, but that still doesn't mean promoting him in 2016 was the slam-dunk right decision.

Meanwhile, I didn't see a lot of snide remarks on the "maybe the Braves should wait to call up Swanson" side, but perhaps that's simply because those opinions seemed to be (or were?) in the minority.
    Good post.

The thing is, if you preach "go for it," "let's see what the kids got," "bring him up, it makes no difference to the long run since it's obvious that the Braves will extent him," then you really can't lose because you can always fall back to "needing some excitement" or "just being a fan" if he fails or if the move backfires in any way. If he does great, then you look like a genius and anyone who went the other way can't even defend their position without it coming off as sour grapes.

If you say "this is a bad idea," or "it makes no difference to this season and is a bad gamble for the long run" or "he's not ready, even according to John Hart" the only way you come off as correct is if the player fails or bad things happen and even then you lose as a fan because you don't want the player to fail. So even if you win the argument you lose in the end, unless your big thing is E Cred and that's all you really care about (which isn't me).

I've said very little either way for a while because there's no way I can win the argument - if he succeeds wildly, I was wrong. If he fails, I'm a dick for hoping he fails so I can be right (or so the narrative would go). I said early and will say again that anything he does, good or bad, is a SSS that may or may not mean a thing and we won't even know what that SSS ultimately is until the end of the season.

For the record, I hope he succeeds wildly -ROY, batting titles, gold gloves, All Star appearances, retired number, all of it for the Atlanta Braves.

But I still say that it is a dumb move regardless of his performance or lack of performance because his success or lack of success means nothing to this year's team and very little to next years team (one could argue that if he succeeds wildly this year it will build a foundation for him next year which might be true). But there can be no argument that he didn't have to go on the 40 man until he was called up and any time spent at the ML level is time that counts against control time for the team and speeds the arrival of arbitration and ultimately FA. It's speculation both ways as to whether any of that will ultimately make any difference either way.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-19-2016), Managuarantano's Volunteers (09-19-2016)