Page 301 of 1483 FirstFirst ... 2012512912993003013023033113514018011301 ... LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,020 of 29660

Thread: The Coronavirus, not the beer

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,265 Posts
    now that's a real tyranny example you just brought up
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    Uh, not it isn’t. Flattening the curve is step 1 (and it is not clear we have even accomplished this), but at minimum you need to bend it downward before re-opening. You don’t need to get to zero, but if your R is 1 and you start relax the restrictions it goes right back up. But if you get the R back down to like 0.7 or 0.5, you have wiggle room to relax things.

The president’s own plan calls for phased re-opening based on observed “downward trajectory” in cases and deaths and testing %. You just keep repeating nonsense because you live in a fantasy world and choose your media based on its high garbage content.
    I think local governments should make decisions about their own situations and shouldnt be condemned mercilessly for having the audacity to letting businesses open.

I dont like people getting arrested for merely going to the park, etc.

We just fundamentally disagree on the principle here. Somehow, yall act like someone who wants Americans to have free will to make their own choices is some sort of monstrous position, while justifying banning the sale of garden seeds in the name of safety.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Omg, are you getting close to actual definition of tyranny? Is this a breakthrough? Can you figure out why Korematsu was wrongly decided but the draft is Constituional?

*doesn’t hold breath*

But also, bravo. Classic sturg today, ignoring all answers to his questions. I eagerly await the next round of “you guys never answer” followed by “you so scared” followed by yelling “Tyranny” at every shadow followed by not seeing the irony of the last two statements.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

goldfly (05-06-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I think local governments should make decisions about their own situations and shouldnt be condemned mercilessly for having the audacity to letting businesses open.

I dont like people getting arrested for merely going to the park, etc.

We just fundamentally disagree on the principle here. Somehow, yall act like someone who wants Americans to have free will to make their own choices is some sort of monstrous position, while justifying banning the sale of garden seeds in the name of safety.
    We disagree that you live in reality since every time you describe the lockdown it is based on extreme hyperbole.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,874 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,874 Posts
    We disagree that you live in reality since every time you describe the lockdown it is based on extreme hyperbole.
    Hyperbole would be something that hasn't actually happened, no?

My best friends wedding just got postponed today bc the state is still locked down til at least june 10 and the caterers, venue etc couldnt adequately plan with these restrictions. Oh well sucks for them.

(Cue the 'killing grandma for muh wedding' quips)

Anyway... I think we've exhausted this back and forth. I hope you're holding up alright up there in the epicenter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,874 Posts
    Speaking of... our company announced today that our offices are closed til labor day. So I'm looking for a few places to visit between now and then where I can set up office. Wondering where best places to visit during this time would be

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,918 Posts
    Uh, not it isn’t. Flattening the curve is step 1 (and it is not clear we have even accomplished this), but at minimum you need to bend it downward before re-opening. You don’t need to get to zero, but if your R is 1 and you start relax the restrictions it goes right back up. But if you get the R back down to like 0.7 or 0.5, you have wiggle room to relax things.

The president’s own plan calls for phased re-opening based on observed “downward trajectory” in cases and deaths and testing %. You just keep repeating nonsense because you live in a fantasy world and choose your media based on its high garbage content.
    Stop the spread was intended to prevent massive hospitalizations. Not to prevent infections. It just so happens that every model got the hospitalization rate wrong by massive amounts.

Goalposts.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Hyperbole would be something that hasn't actually happened, no?
    Uh, well let's see:

- "Garden seeds" were never "banned." This is just a lie you read from a liar on the internet. The most charitable interpretation is that it is a hyperbolic misinterpretation of the real order.
    - You aren't gonna be arrested for going to a park because parks are generally open unless they are vectors (e.g. playgrounds) or they can't be adequately staffed (there are probably other exceptions, like "does sturg live near here," but generally). You might be arrested if you try to argue with a cop who asks you to leave one of the ones that is closed. But that's a hyperbolic situation of your own creation at that point. Police aren't roaming NYC raiding everyone who dares enter a park (though maybe in the black neighborhoods because NYPD is terrible).
    - You wrote "nobody can work or walk outside without being arrested." This is obviously extremely stupid hyperbole. As I have urged you 50 times in this thread, you are in fact advised to walk around outside.
    - No one has proposed "spend the rest of my life in my house with netflix and a 1200 stimulus check", though you are so scared of this. What a scaredycat baby. A hyperbolic scaredybaby.
    - I don't think we've officially "cancelled the Bill of Rights" yet either. Maybe slight hyperbole.

Like believing any of this just shows that you consume media in a complete bubble and listen uncritically to people whose job it is to lie to you. Your dystopian version of lockdown doesn't exist. WAKE UP SHEEPLE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,918 Posts
    Where is the evidence that ending lockdown with social distancing measures will dramatically increase infections.

Thats the question the fear crowd won't ever answer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Stop the spread was intended to prevent massive hospitalizations. Not to prevent infections. It just so happens that every model got the hospitalization rate wrong by massive amounts.

Goalposts.
    And slow the death rate until a treatment could be found. Hospitalization is down because sick people are staying home if at all possible, and that's all sick people.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    And slow the death rate until a treatment could be found. Hospitalization is down because sick people are staying home if at all possible, and that's all sick people.
    None of this is true. People are not, at least in meaningful numbers, not being hospitalized for CCP virus.

You don't slow a death RATE. And even what you are trying to say is wrong. Death was never the talking point when convincing the public why we needed a lock down. Its just said now because the original reason came in embarrassingly low.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,265 Posts
    sweet a new name for the virus

for the person who claims to be spitting scientific facts

but can't just call the virus by it's scientific name

cause xenophobia and politics with it is more fun i guess
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    None of this is true. People are not, at least in meaningful numbers, not being hospitalized for CCP virus.

You don't slow a death RATE. And even what you are trying to say is wrong. Death was never the talking point when convincing the public why we needed a lock down. Its just said now because the original reason came in embarrassingly low.
    You keep saying embarrassingly low. What are you talking about? Hospital rate has been slowed by the isolation.

I think the clorox has eaten away what was left of your brain.

Deaths were and are part of the equation. That's why there's a running account of the number of deaths on every Covid-19 stat sight. Up to 75,000 now, btw.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    You keep saying embarrassingly low. What are you talking about? Hospital rate has been slowed by the isolation.

I think the clorox has eaten away what was left of your brain.

Deaths were and are part of the equation. That's why there's a running account of the number of deaths on every Covid-19 stat sight. Up to 75,000 now, btw.
    The quarantine has done little to slow the spread since it was just taken indoors. Go look at confirmed infections starting 2 weeks after lockdown took place.

Hospital rates were drastically overstated in every single model and scared us into these CCP methods. Models failed and the lockdown failed but continue to push for something where you don't understand even a sliver of the data.

Those in power love people like you.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,918 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,756 Posts
    I agree, Trump really screwed up on this one.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts
    Actually no. The point of the lockdowns was definitively to "slow the spread" or to "flatten the curve" or to "not overwhelm the medical system."

Mission accomplished.

Now you want to "buy time" for a treatment or vaccine.

How much time are you willing to buy?
    That has nothing to do with what I said. You said " the virus will spread again, why delay it?", not "Why did we shutdown?"

Re-opening in phases does need to start happening, but acting like delaying it has no affect against the spread of the virus and how many people will die as a result is incredibly stupid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    That has nothing to do with what I said. You said " the virus will spread again, why delay it?", not "Why did we shutdown?"

Re-opening in phases does need to start happening, but acting like delaying it has no affect against the spread of the virus and how many people will die as a result is incredibly stupid.
    how does delaying have an impact on how many people die?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,918 Posts
    Looks like Sweden is doing a much better job on the people getting infected the last month as the death numbers seems to be decreasing and stabilizing from previous highs.

This is the only true approach to this problem.