Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast

Thread: GDT 10/9: MAX and the USUAL LINEUP- GET TIED ON OUR MASCOT HOLIDAY!

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie Swanson View Post
    Elder is starting tonight.
    Woof.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,032 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Jeter- 73.0 Career WAR
    Chipper- 84.6 Career WAR

Chipper had a double digit lead over Jeter for their careers but I'll guarantee you that most people consider Jeter the better player.

Another player for reference:

Andruw- 67 Career WAR

Jeter only had 6 more career WAR than Andruw yet Jeter is considered one of the all time greats and Andruw can't make it into the HOF.
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    If Jeter had played in Atlanta, Houston, Colorado, Milwaukee, etc. he would have gotten into the Hall, but quite possibly not on the first ballot. And he wouldn't be on half the commercials that air during MLB broadcasts nine years after his final game.

Conversely, if Andruw had spent the bulk of his career as a Yankee and put up identical numbers he would be in the HoF right now, and would probably be on all those commercials.
    Jeter is also black (multi-racial, technically), from the NYC general area, and very personable. He was an easy sell from a marketing standpoint. I don't think Druw with his broken English as a young kid would have been nearly as popular as a Yankee as Jeter was. But I do agree that he likely would be in the HOF right now with the exact same career path on the Yankees.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,333 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    If Jeter had played in Atlanta, Houston, Colorado, Milwaukee, etc. he would have gotten into the Hall, but quite possibly not on the first ballot. And he wouldn't be on half the commercials that air during MLB broadcasts nine years after his final game.

Conversely, if Andruw had spent the bulk of his career as a Yankee and put up identical numbers he would be in the HoF right now, and would probably be on all those commercials.
    3,000 hits and 4 championships gets you first ballot even if you played for the Marlins.

Jeter gets dinged by WAR because the defensive metrics of the time really really hated him some years (other years it loved him). We still can’t get the measurement systems to agree on infield defense.

Jeter was probably the last star that was universally known outside of baseball. Of course, he’s going to be in commercials.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Elder starting tonight feels like a punt....today is a must win game IMO

Even with Strider on t he mound tomorrow, you don't want to be facing elimination in Philly. Need to get it back home for game 5.
    We will back him up.

Lfgo!
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,496 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    We will back him up.

Lfgo!
    Ideally he makes it once through the lineup, then turn it over to AJSS for once through the lineup, then turn over to the bullpen.
    Get off my lawn!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-11-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,926 Posts
    Nola don’t scare me
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,032 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Strike3urout View Post
    I have not seen any evidence that shows that Giambi was safe. Posada most likely grazed his pants with the tag. Also, the throw from the right fielder was dying on the infield, so it's unlikely that it would have gotten to the plate in time.

It was a great play. But it wasn't better than Riley's play, which was more difficult athletically. Jeter's play gets the accolades because he was so far out of position. And because he's Jeter.
    What??

Posada completely missed the leg. I get that it was difficult for the Ump to see that from his angle, but current replay technology would have overturned that call in a heartbeat.

Also, the throw was right on line. It would likely have 3 hopped the catcher with the same amount of time. Again, it takes Jeter about half a second to receive the ball and make the toss. If the Ump makes the correct call there, Jeter is crucified by the NY media for getting in the way of the throw.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-11-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,032 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    3,000 hits and 4 championships gets you first ballot even if you played for the Marlins.

Jeter gets dinged by WAR because the defensive metrics of the time really really hated him some years (other years it loved him). We still can’t get the measurement systems to agree on infield defense.

Jeter was probably the last star that was universally known outside of baseball. Of course, he’s going to be in commercials.
    The eye test wasn't very kind to Jeter. either. His range was very limited and it was noticeable. He always got praised for his back shoulder throws, but many of them were likely less difficult plays for better defenders.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-11-2023)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Nola don’t scare me
    Agreed. I would feel decent even if this was Morton vs. Nola. But with our questionable arms throwing in that environment, I'm not very confident in tonight.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Agreed. I would feel decent even if this was Morton vs. Nola. But with our questionable arms throwing in that environment, I'm not very confident in tonight.
    Yeah, the bats gotta come alive to win today. Gonna need at least 5+ i'd say.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,032 Posts
    Elder starting doesn't bother me in the least as long as he can avoid the walks. We really only need him to turnover the lineup once and go to the pen. If our offense shows up the way they are capable of, we might even able to squeeze 4-5 innings out of him. We really need one of our patented 10+ run route type of games where we just demoralize their entire pitching staff.
    Last edited by Carp; 10-11-2023 at 10:51 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-11-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Yeah, the bats gotta come alive to win today. Gonna need at least 5+ i'd say.
    That’s nothing new. That goes for all year and all series
    Ivermectin Man

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,891 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Elder starting doesn't bother me in the least as long as he can avoid the walks. We really only need him to turnover the lineup once and go to the pen. If our offense shows up the way they are capable of, we might even able to squeeze 4-5 innings out of him. We really need one of our patented 10+ run route type of games where we just demoralize their entire pitching staff.
    I think today is that game. Braves have been struggling with good velocity since the lay off and Nola doesn't bring that. I think we get to him early.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    Just have the phone ready to go, Kranny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,026 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Elder starting tonight feels like a punt....today is a must win game IMO

Even with Strider on t he mound tomorrow, you don't want to be facing elimination in Philly. Need to get it back home for game 5.
    Doesn’t feel like a punt to me… feels like the best of a bunch of not great options. Elder wore down and now he’s had some rest. As long as he has a short leash it’d be nice to save as much of the pen for tomorrow as we can.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-11-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,026 Posts
    Let’s hope June Elder shows up… he held the Phillies to zero runs and 3 hits over 7 innings

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,032 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I think today is that game. Braves have been struggling with good velocity since the lay off and Nola doesn't bring that. I think we get to him early.
    I mentioned yesterday, but Acuna has not gone 3 games without a hit all season. I expect he will have a big game. Riley also smokes Nola historically.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-11-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,582 Posts
    Every time I log on Twitter I see Phillies fans whining about something new that the Braves did.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,333 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    The eye test wasn't very kind to Jeter. either. His range was very limited and it was noticeable. He always got praised for his back shoulder throws, but many of them were likely less difficult plays for better defenders.
    I’m sure he was average at best, but I’m just suggesting to take that WAR with a grain of salt. He’s clearly a first ballot HOF.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Carp (10-11-2023)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    249 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Every time I log on Twitter I see Phillies fans whining about something new that the Braves did.
    Good reason to stay off that ****hole platform.