Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast

Thread: GM/Winter Meetings Thread

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    I'd sooner have Bonafacio back and at leadoff and 2B than Gordon, to be honest. Again, I don't understand the love affair with the guy besides the fact he can steal bases, but he can't hit, he can't get on, and he can't field. Complimentary player on a loader roster...yes...a huge difference maker....consistantly no.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Fowler is a guy we could actually get who would be perfect at the top of the lineup.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Fowler is a guy we could actually get who would be perfect at the top of the lineup.
    I would trade Gattis to get Dexter Fowler, if the Astros would throw in a legitimate 3B prospect and a little cash.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,546 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcollier View Post
    I would trade Gattis to get Dexter Fowler, if the Astros would throw in a legitimate 3B prospect and a little cash.
    Fowler is one year from free agency.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-12-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,546 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcollier View Post

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-12-2014)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    White Sox signing Melky

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,756 Posts
    The White Sox are such an ass backward franchise. I can't even remember the last time they had a farm system that wasn't abysmal. I applaud them for having the sense to go for it while they have Abreu and Sale at pennies on the dollar. The Braves seem to think it's going to be easier to compete in 2 years when our young players salaries have tripled.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-14-2014)

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I would do Gattis/B.J/Kazmar for Fowler. Use B.J's money to sign Justin or at the very least Fowler.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    The White Sox are such an ass backward franchise. I can't even remember the last time they had a farm system that wasn't abysmal. I applaud them for having the sense to go for it while they have Abreu and Sale at pennies on the dollar. The Braves seem to think it's going to be easier to compete in 2 years when our young players salaries have tripled.
    Interesting post but if Justin/Jason wont sign, its best to move them for long-term assets.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

blueagleace1 (12-14-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,133 Posts
    The Mariners were hoping Melky would come off his demands. Maybe they'll circle back to us. And I believe we'll be players for Justin or Jason in FA next year. I think the Braves wanted Heyward to go to FA to see his demands may be a little high. Especially if he has a bad year offensively.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,756 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Interesting post but if Justin/Jason wont sign, its best to move them for long-term assets.
    Best if your goal is long term mediocrity. What I think would be best long term is to pull a Marlins and go for broke one year then fire sale to jump start a rebuilding. After 2015 trade most of our young talent Teheran/Wood/Minor/Kimbrel/Simmons/Gattis and use 16 and 17 as rebuilding years to get the bad contracts off the books. With those trades plus the extra draft picks for Santana/Heywood/Justin should give us a head start in rebuilding.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,929 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    The Mariners were hoping Melky would come off his demands. Maybe they'll circle back to us. And I believe we'll be players for Justin or Jason in FA next year. I think the Braves wanted Heyward to go to FA to see his demands may be a little high. Especially if he has a bad year offensively.
    Not a lot else left imo. They could try again for Viciedo, but he isn't much .

We probably won't get Paxton or Walker, but I guess one can hope.
    Ivermectin Man

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I doubt it, especially if ramadon is right about his demands.

Maybe Justin but that seems unlikely also.

Hitting market in FA is weak next year minus those two which is why it's debateable to extend one of em.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,039 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Not a lot else left imo. They could try again for Viciedo, but he isn't much .

We probably won't get Paxton or Walker, but I guess one can hope.
    I've got a better idea. Brad Miller and D. J. Peterson.

They think they are ready to win now. They're right. Jack Z will make one more move, and it will be for an impact RF. The last .800 OPS FA is gone with Fat Melky to the Sox. Kemp is a Padre. He's so close he can taste it, but the music is about to stop.

The one guy on the major league roster they can tolerate losing is Miller, because they have a gold glove level replacement who is a decent hitter in Taylor. Miller's potential is masked by a dreadful April/May last year, when he hit about .104. Had a mechanical flaw, finally got it fixed. He's got some sock, can play anywhere in the infield - a good shortstop, or a deluxe 2B/3B. About a .330 hitter in the minors.

Peterson had a tremendous year split between high A and AA last year, 33 HR and 111 RBI. He was having throwing problems at high A, looked like he started making progress when he got moved up. If he can stay at third, he'd be a tremendous player for us to pick up. Mariners are moving him to first because they have Seager at third.

That would be a nice return for us and probably put the Mariners in the hunt as WS favorites IMO. Undergirding this idea is my thought that we really don't need to deal for pitching, as we have the knack of developing that.
    Last edited by GovClintonTyree; 12-14-2014 at 11:14 AM.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Chico (12-15-2014), DirkPiggler (12-14-2014), UNCBlue012 (12-14-2014)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    White Sox-Marlins World Series. Let's get it done!

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I've got a better idea. Brad Miller and D. J. Peterson.

They think they are ready to win now. They're right. Jack Z will make one more move, and it will be for an impact RF. The last .800 OPS FA is gone with Fat Melky to the Sox. Kemp is a Padre. He's so close he can taste it, but the music is about to stop.

The one guy on the major league roster they can tolerate losing is Miller, because they have a gold glove level replacement who is a decent hitter in Taylor. Miller's potential is masked by a dreadful April/May last year, when he hit about .104. Had a mechanical flaw, finally got it fixed. He's got some sock, can play anywhere in the infield - a good shortstop, or a deluxe 2B/3B. About a .330 hitter in the minors.

Peterson had a tremendous year split between high A and AA last year, 33 HR and 111 RBI. He was having throwing problems at high A, looked like he started making progress when he got moved up. If he can stay at third, he'd be a tremendous player for us to pick up. Mariners are moving him to first because they have Seager at third.

That would be a nice return for us and probably put the Mariners in the hunt as WS favorites IMO. Undergirding this idea is my thought that we really don't need to deal for pitching, as we have the knack of developing that.
    I like this idea. Unfortunately I get the feeling that the Johns don't agree that our focus should be on acquiring hitters rather than stockpiling pitching prospects.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,039 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    I like this idea. Unfortunately I get the feeling that the Johns don't agree that our focus should be on acquiring hitters rather than stockpiling pitching prospects.
    You're right, and I don't get it. Who will hit the baseball?

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    You're right, and I don't get it. Who will hit the baseball?
    I nearly run over by the Kyle Kubitza bandwagon this summer. Is he the next HOF third baseman?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,756 Posts
    Where is gilesfan, I Want A Nats Fans Opinion On Das Wunderkid Bryce Harper throwing a temper tantrum because he thinks he should be able to opt out of the contract he signed because he would make more in arbitration. He no showed Natsfest and claimed it was out of his control.
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 12-14-2014 at 04:15 PM.

It’s over."

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Where is gilesfan, I Want A Nats Fans Opinion On Das Wunderkid Bryce Harper throwing a temper tantrum because he thinks he should be able to opt out of the contract he signed because he would make more in arbitration. He no showed Natsfest and claimed it was out of his control.
    I guess baseball needs a new ARod. Or Barry. The transcendent talent whom everyone hates . . . and he won't stop giving us reasons.