Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 6/19: cubs game 3 - let's salvage a game

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,333 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Olsons game yesterday was a very good example of why his production is down in 2022. The 3 rockets he hit all had a launch angle under 20 degrees, and didn’t fly out of the park.

His missing 50 points in slugging translates to 13 missing extra bases, or 6-7 doubles elevated a bit more to become HRs.

If Olson had a much more typical 20 doubles and 15 bombs rather than the 27 and 8 he currently has, his stat line would be almost exactly at his projections. The Braves need to figure out why Olson is failing to elevate the ball because that is literally the only thing “wrong” with him right now…offensively anyways.
    Another example of how tough it is to replace a team legend. Lead the league in doubles (by a lot) and all everyone wants to talk about is “what’s wrong”. It would be so hard to not be in your own head all the time. Maybe that offers an explanation why his defense has been uncharacteristically bad.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-20-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Another example of how tough it is to replace a team legend. Lead the league in doubles (by a lot) and all everyone wants to talk about is “what’s wrong”. It would be so hard to not be in your own head all the time. Maybe that offers an explanation why his defense has been uncharacteristically bad.
    Doubles are awesome, but we got Olson for hrs, which are more awesome. I think Olson would be the first to tell you his offense has been disappointing so far. He's down in wOBA, xwoba, ops, and wrc+ from last year. The good news is there's 95 games left

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,496 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Doubles are awesome, but we got Olson for hrs, which are more awesome. I think Olson would be the first to tell you his offense has been disappointing so far. He's down in wOBA, xwoba, ops, and wrc+ from last year. The good news is there's 95 games left
    Not only are his numbers down, but he is hitting in more hitter friendly ball park.

I'm sure he is feeling the pressure of playing in front of his home crowd now and having replaced Freeman.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Not only are his numbers down, but he is hitting in more hitter friendly ball park.

I'm sure he is feeling the pressure of playing in front of his home crowd now and having replaced Freeman.
    I called it last week, and I'm sticking with it - Olson gets it going full strength this week vs giants and dodgers. He's gonna show out with FF in town this weekend

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,893 Posts
    I called it last week, and I'm sticking with it - Olson gets it going full strength this week vs giants and dodgers. He's gonna show out with FF in town this weekend
    I'm hoping Ozuna's luck finally shifts. 299 wOBA vs 366 xwOBA

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,893 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Olsons game yesterday was a very good example of why his production is down in 2022. The 3 rockets he hit all had a launch angle under 20 degrees, and didn’t fly out of the park.

His missing 50 points in slugging translates to 13 missing extra bases, or 6-7 doubles elevated a bit more to become HRs.

If Olson had a much more typical 20 doubles and 15 bombs rather than the 27 and 8 he currently has, his stat line would be almost exactly at his projections. The Braves need to figure out why Olson is failing to elevate the ball because that is literally the only thing “wrong” with him right now…offensively anyways.
    It is curious and I'm sure they are aware of it. They started tweaking Harris' swing almost the date he came up and he's progressively gotten better at keeping the ball in the air.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-20-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    It is curious and I'm sure they are aware of it. They started tweaking Harris' swing almost the date he came up and he's progressively gotten better at keeping the ball in the air.
    Harris picking that up that quick really bodes well for his future. Still early, but I'm getting pretty excited about him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,779 Posts
    I'm hoping Ozuna's luck finally shifts. 299 wOBA vs 366 xwOBA
    It's nuts. Baseball gods must frown on domestic spats

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,893 Posts
    Harris picking that up that quick really bodes well for his future. Still early, but I'm getting pretty excited about him
    Yeah. He currently has an xwOBA of 335. That coupled with his defense and base running would equate to 5+ WAR seasons. Plenty to get excited about.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,333 Posts
    Olson came up and hit a ton of home runs as a rookie. It’s possible there was someone with the A’s that was his swing whisperer, but I really think this is just small sample shenanigans.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,333 Posts
    This is my point. Replacing Freeman means you can’t be good, you have to be great. Olson has been merely good.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,284 Posts
    Yeah. He currently has an xwOBA of 335. That coupled with his defense and base running would equate to 5+ WAR seasons. Plenty to get excited about.
    Basically the only thing we need to see from Harris at this point (besides the day-to-day adjustments that represent the average life of a Major Leaguer) is improved plate discipline. It's nothing to panic about -- he's young, he's unknown, pitchers are challenging him and he's hitting well, so there's nothing wrong with him swinging a lot. But at some point he's just going to see a steady of diet of junk out of the zone, and he'll need to lay off and take some walks.

It's easy to start dreaming about a version of Harris who picks up patience, retains his power gains, plays elite defense and runs the bases at a high level. That gets you into some rarified air.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

Garmel (06-20-2022), JohnAdcox (06-20-2022), thethe (06-20-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,926 Posts
    He should see some pitches at the bottom of the order in front of Ronnie. Not sure anyones looking to put him on there, but yeah a few walks can’t hurt
    Ivermectin Man

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-20-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,917 Posts
    How much longer do you do the double lead off guy before you decide it’s more important for Harris to get more plate appearances and just stick him in the real lead off spot? Where does Swanson go in that scenario because Acuna has to be in the 2 hole.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,496 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    How much longer do you do the double lead off guy before you decide it’s more important for Harris to get more plate appearances and just stick him in the real lead off spot? Where does Swanson go in that scenario because Acuna has to be in the 2 hole.
    Swanson would move to 9th.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,151 Posts
    I’m certainly no swing guru, but it seems to me he starts with his hands low and out front in effort to limit bat wrap (Acuna and Harris also do this, Arcia too I think). Then when he loads he wraps the bat around his head anyways, completely negates the attempt to limit hand wrap, and possibly forces him to swing down on the ball more than usual.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,026 Posts
    Don’t mess with where Harris is. He’s the youngest player in the MLB right now. Keep him confident.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    You seriously want to juggle the order when the team has won 15 of the last 17 games?

Jesus.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    You seriously want to juggle the order when the team has won 15 of the last 17 games?

Jesus.
    If it helps the team yes. We didn't win 15/17 because of the batting order. But I am like most. leave the rookie in the 9 hole. He hasn't seen pitchers adjust yet.
    Coppy

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    If it helps the team yes. We didn't win 15/17 because of the batting order. But I am like most. leave the rookie in the 9 hole. He hasn't seen pitchers adjust yet.
    Wright gave up 11 hits and 5 ER Saturday, and the only two guys to get a hit Friday were Acuna and Arcia - would love to know how changing Harris' spot in the order would have affected those things.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?