5,766 Posts
    Wink x2
    Forever Fredi

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,832 Posts
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (04-23-2014)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Ok, my turn...

First, thanks to Pawpaw and all others who have served for your service to our nation.

My name is Richard, will be 54 in June. I am married with 3 kids, both sons are grown and my daughter is 17. I have traveled many message board roads, from the old ESPN boards, to the Scout board, and finally to this board. Thanks to KL for this board, it is the best yet. I live in Goose Creek SC, hence my old Scout name of GooseCreekBraves. Shortened it to gcbraves for this board. I work at a naval and maritime museum in Charleston, SC, as a program administrator for the overnight youth program aboard the retired aircraft carrier Yorktown (CV-10), have been here since 1990.

I began listening to the Braves shortly after getting a book called "Hammerin' Hank of the Braves" through the book of the month club in 6th grade. I found them one night going through the radio dial, and have ben hooked ever since. One of my first memories of listening to Milo and Ernie was the game in 1972 against Philadelphia which Hank passed Willie Mays for the most National League Career homers, with his 649th...a grand-slam IIRC. Following the chase was epic. The 14 year title run was awesome, capped by Sid sliding and of course 1995.

I don't post much, but enjoy reading others. We get on each other's nerves from time to time, but the passion I see for the Braves is real and deeply felt, and that I enjoy most about this board. Keep up the good work folks!
    Last edited by gcbraves; 04-23-2014 at 01:56 PM.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gcbraves For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (04-26-2014), Julio3000 (04-23-2014), mossy (04-26-2014), NinersSBChamps (04-23-2014), nsacpi (04-23-2014), The Chosen One (04-23-2014), TURBO (04-23-2014), zitothebrave (04-23-2014)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    The Expos acquired Bartolo Colon and Tim Drew for Lee Stevens, Brandon Phillips (was centerpiece, at the time), Grady Sizemore and Cliff Lee. (Again, don't feel so bad about the Tex trade.)
    I remember the Cliff Floyd trade... we played an away series there and Olympic Stadium went nuts. I'd never seen it with that atmosphere as long as I'd been watching baseball.

I kind of wished they'd won the wildcard that year. Would've been a good story for baseball and renew a push for a new stadium there. I always liked the Montreal Expos secretly.
    Forever Fredi

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    I remember the Cliff Floyd trade... we played an away series there and Olympic Stadium went nuts. I'd never seen it with that atmosphere as long as I'd been watching baseball.

I kind of wished they'd won the wildcard that year. Would've been a good story for baseball and renew a push for a new stadium there. I always liked the Montreal Expos secretly.
    I wonder if I can change your title to Zombie Expos fan/Braves fan. <wink>

On another note there is a ground swell pushing to get a Major League team again in Montreal. I do not know who said it on the radio, but I heard it.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    I wonder if I can change your title to Zombie Expos fan/Braves fan. <wink>

On another note there is a ground swell pushing to get a Major League team again in Montreal. I do not know who said it on the radio, but I heard it.
    I doubt it. Only reason that rumor picked up steam is because Toronto played two exo before regular season and the turnout was good.

Expos wouldn't have the same uni as before me think.
    Forever Fredi

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts

The problem in Montreal is that there's a different public attitude toward public funding of sports arenas/stadiums/ballparks in Canada. During the 90's, the Canadian dollar was roughly 65 cents to the dollar. That likely had more to do with driving players away than the French language. Lastly, any other sports franchise was going to have to come to grips with playing second fiddle to the Canadiens. Yes, this is true with other sports in various other cities, too, but hockey is like religion there.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    I doubt it. Only reason that rumor picked up steam is because Toronto played two exo before regular season and the turnout was good.

Expos wouldn't have the same uni as before me think.
    Cities off the top of my head who'd get a team before Montreal, Brooklyn (i Know it's borough), Portland, Sna Jose, and Charlotte. Also could see Vancouver as a potential move to Canada.

Should get rid of the Rays and Oakland though, they're just wasted, Oakland goes to San Jose, and Rays go to Charlotte.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Cities off the top of my head who'd get a team before Montreal, Brooklyn (i Know it's borough), Portland, Sna Jose, and Charlotte. Also could see Vancouver as a potential move to Canada.

Should get rid of the Rays and Oakland though, they're just wasted, Oakland goes to San Jose, and Rays go to Charlotte.
    Vancouver would be a great choice.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Okay, here we go:

My name´s Frank, 42, I live near Cologne, Germany.

Became obsessed with the Braves when I was an exchange student in Alpharetta in 1988/89. My host family and friends took me to quite a few games back then and I was able to watch the Braves on my black and white TV in my room.
    I was actually more into baseball than my American friends were at the time but the virus spread.

Over the years I followed the Braves on teletext, over the phone (when we were in the WS) and on videotapes that my friends would send me. It´s been a little easier since.

I have many memories of different games and players but I dont really a favourite player, maybe Chipper and Smoltz stand out.
    Once I planned a trip out west and I was able to watch the Braves beat the Giants with Glavine pitching, it was in 1998, I believe.

I have my own company and cant afford to spend many nights in front of the Computer or TV any more. I do follow and read regularly when I am not at my favourite Soccer team´s games (season tickets for over 20 vears now).

Like reading and posting on here and winning YNOT !

13. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Germanbrave For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (04-23-2014), gcbraves (04-23-2014), GovClintonTyree (04-26-2014), Hawk (04-23-2014), Julio3000 (04-23-2014), mossy (04-26-2014), NinersSBChamps (04-23-2014), nsacpi (04-23-2014), The Chosen One (04-23-2014), thethe (04-23-2014), TURBO (04-23-2014), zitothebrave (04-23-2014)

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Name's King, first name Mister. I'm from Mississippi, and proud of it. I'm 37 and became a fan in '90, just before the bandwagon rolled through.

One of you spammers intrigued me on an ESPN board, so I decided to give the board a glance. Think I will stick around here for real talk and hit TMB for giggles.

Also, I'm gay for Gattis.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cheapseats For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (04-26-2014), Hawk (04-23-2014), Julio3000 (04-23-2014), The Chosen One (04-23-2014), thethe (04-23-2014), zitothebrave (04-23-2014)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheapseats View Post
    Name's King, first name Mister. I'm from Mississippi, and proud of it. I'm 37 and became a fan in '90, just before the bandwagon rolled through.

One of you spammers intrigued me on an ESPN board, so I decided to give the board a glance. Think I will stick around here for real talk and hit TMB for giggles.

Also, I'm gay for Gattis.
    Probably was me cheapseats. I've been doing a lot of spamming haha.
    Forever Fredi

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Hi, I'm kayak.

Got my name from my steam profile, as I'm a bit of a big gamer. I mostly like to lurk, but I read most every major thread/gamethread (I actually enjoy reading the Fredi criticism, believe it or not).

Anyway, became a Braves fan in '91, during the big "worst to first" run. Didn't really become a fan that watched every single game until 95, though. I have fond memories of dunking out my bucket of legos and building things while watching the big three shut down the competition every night on TBS.

Since I have lived in the metro Atlanta area for most of my life, I've been to quite a few games. My first game was in 98, when the Braves played the Cubs. Was a memorable game. There was a brawl at home plate, Sammy Sosa hit 2 home runs (it was just before his big 20 HR month), and we won 9-5. Millwood pitched. My least favorite game was a random game a few years ago against the Phillies, where Rollins hit a grand slam, and Melky Cabrera somehow let a single drop in front of him... and then by him for extra bases. I yelled at him so loudly and angrily that four dudes a few rows down that were shirtless and wearing blue paint looked at me like I was crazy.

My least favorite Brave is Melky Cabrera. Surprise. My favorite is Maddux. I could tell that he was an amazing pitcher, and way better than just about anyone else when I was like 8 years old and didn't even know all the rules!

Pretty much the only reason I have cable is for Braves games, although I'm planning to go to more games soon.

I just turned 30, and look forward to following the Braves for years to come. You guys have the most interesting discussions on our team that I've ever found, and I'll lurk here (and occasionally post) for a long time to come.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wheresmykayak For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (04-26-2014), Julio3000 (04-23-2014), mossy (04-26-2014), The Chosen One (04-23-2014), TURBO (04-23-2014), zitothebrave (04-23-2014)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Name's Wayne

bloodrayne on scout

Love the Braves...raised in GA and livin' in AK.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Orphan Black For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (04-26-2014), The Chosen One (04-23-2014), TURBO (04-23-2014), zitothebrave (04-23-2014)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post

A's will end up in San Jose. Charlotte can get the Rays.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    Name's Wayne

bloodrayne on scout

Love the Braves...raised in GA and livin' in AK.
    But are you an Orphan or Black?

High School Draftee BravesfanMike's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    So far the over 55 Club here is:

50Poundhead
    Depley
    PawPaw
    rico
    Yeah, me too 57,

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    My name is John. I'm an attorney in Knoxville, TN and I'm 33.

My dad took me to my first Braves game in 1991 at the age of 10. What a great year to start my fandom.

I used to post a ton on the AOL Board a LONG time ago, and some on the Scout Board (not much). I get to make it to about 6 Braves games a year and I currently have knocked out 11 MLB Stadiums in my quest to hit all 30. My favorite memories are attending the WS in 1999 as a college sophomore, going to last years Home playoff win against the Dodgers. And catching a Braves-Red Sox game in Boston in the 100th year of Fenway. I caught a BP homer, Jair Jurrjens threw a gem, and the Braves won.

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CJC For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (04-26-2014), Hawk (04-23-2014), Julio3000 (04-23-2014), mossy (04-26-2014), The Chosen One (04-23-2014), thethe (04-23-2014), TURBO (04-23-2014)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Being 5'10" and non-420 eliminates me from consideration. Plus, there's a lot of real estate between us anyway.
    Dammit Roethlisberger calm down, it was just a joke. I started writing it and it sounded like it was turning into a personal ad, so I went with it. Everything from Kaepernick forward was made up. Trust me, I'm glad there's a lot of real estate between you and my dong.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Yeah, but I learned the truth around 12 or 13 thanx to Hugh Hefner and Marilyn Monroe.
    Lol. Moises and Jorge don't wear batting gloves. What they do is piss on their hands in spring training and they say it will harden their skin on their hands so much they don't need batting gloves.

Not sure if Evan Gattis practices this ritual. Maybe something he learned in winter ball. Old Dave Martinez is another one I think.
    Forever Fredi