Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN Insider: Why the Braves should consider trading Kimbrel this winter.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,284 Posts
    Trading Kimbrel this off-season is one of those ideas that's undeniably clever, but probably doesn't translate into the real world. I'd totally do it in my Baseball Mogul franchise, but there's just too much working against it.

We won 96 games last year, which is a hell of a thing. We have legitimate championship aspirations. Kimbrel is awesome. He's going to make a lot more money in 2014, but certainly not enough to bankrupt the organization.

There's a conflict, I think, in saying, "Kimbrel's great, but he's going to make a lot of money and closers don't have ton of value" and then following it up with "Therefore, we should trade Kimbrel for a ton of value." Is it possible that some team out there is so desperate and dumb that they still value a closer like it's 1997? I suppose. But it strikes me as unlikely that we'll get a Konerko-for-Shaw trade.

Any Kimbrel trade (hell, any trade at all) should be made at least with some eye toward maximizing our chances of winning a World Series soon. I don't think we're going to get enough Major League value in return for Kimbrel for any trade to qualify on that score. And I don't think we're in a position to start trading away MLB All-Stars for prospects.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

Carp (11-20-2013)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    (1) Detroit's problems in the bullpen weren't closer-centric. The whole bullpen had problems.

(2) I don't drink the Moneyball-flavored kool-aid. Average closers are fungible. Elite closers are not. Bill James used to deconstruct saves into different categories of difficulty and I'd be curious to see what the difficulty rating for Kimbrel's saves has been since he's closed for us. Former Twins' manager Tom Kelly used to talk about the psychological value of an elite closer and how an erratic closer (and other elements of a bad bullpen) erode a team's confidence. One can't measure that and in an era where data is king, queen, and the entire court, that angle is often downplayed. The Braves' margin for error isn't that great (at least it isn't in my view), which may make Kimbrel more valuable to us than to others.

(3) If someone deems Kimbrel the next Mariano, there will be a market for him. I just don't want to see Millwood redux, where Kimbrel is shed primarily for budget purposes.

(4) All this said, I wouldn't be surprised if Kimbrel is moved.
    A lot of "in-between" average closers and elite closers. A very good closer will get the job done.

Not sure how many of the rest of you like hockey, too (think Zito does?), but there's an analogy here. The "conventional wisdom" used to be that to win a Stanley Cup, a team needed an All World goalie, or at least one who got hot at the right time. In the last few years, that thinking's changed with the results. A decent goalie with an effective defense, and enough scoring punch, can get the job done. For baseball, Rivera is about the only one in this class of closers, from a team having won a WS.

Same thing here. The Braves certainly have proven able to assemble an effective bullpen from 7th inning onward. Losing Kimbrel wouldn't be a franchise killer, but nothing thethe says is going to convince me that there's a short list of potential suitors, lining up with a stable of top prospects to offer in return. GM's realize that $10MM or so could address other areas of the bullpen, instead of investing heavily on just the closer.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,001 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    No way Kimbrel is traded this offseason unless some team makes a crazy offer...like the Rangers offering Profar. The Braves can certainly afford to pay the best closer in the game $7M in 2014 while they compete for a WS title.

Trading Kimbrel now may be maximizing his trade value, but it is not maximizing his overall value to the franchise because you are ignoring his value to a WS contender NOW.

I think we see Kimbrel dealt this season at the deadline if the Braves fall out of the race (highly unlikely), or next offseason when he will be slated to make $10M+ and will actually become a problem on the payroll. Right now he is affordable and the best at what he does, so a WS contender like the Braves needs to keep him.
    +1. I need to clarify that I don't expect the Braves to trade Kimbrel, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. When he hits the eighth digit in annual salary is when the possibility of a move becomes greater.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,150 Posts
    +1. I need to clarify that I don't expect the Braves to trade Kimbrel, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. When he hits the eighth digit in annual salary is when the possibility of a move becomes greater.
    It's also important to realize there's a difference between saying, "the Braves should explore trading Kimbrel" and, "the Braves should trade Kimbrel".

If the offer is there, trade him. If the offers don't blow Wren's socks off, keep him. Simple as that really.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-20-2013), Tapate50 (11-20-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,912 Posts
    Who has suggested trading Kimbrel for anything less than a huge return?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Who has suggested trading Kimbrel for anything less than a huge return?
    Anyone who would trade him for a package including a Castellanos or Profar or similar.

Kimbrel is historically elite. The return would have to be immense. Major league ready top-shelf talent, and top prospects, AND salary relief.

I can't really think of a team that has the potential to do that.

Los Angeles?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Anyone who would trade him for a package including a Castellanos or Profar or similar.

Kimbrel is historically elite. The return would have to be immense. Major league ready top-shelf talent, and top prospects, AND salary relief.

Los Angeles?
    What are you expecting?

A Trout or Harper type, LOL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts

Los Angeles?
    This time last year Profar, #1 prospect in all baseball. Castellanos #4 prospect in all baseball. One plays 2nd the other 3rd. Guess what we need now and in the near future.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PawPawMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Heyward (11-20-2013)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    What are you expecting?

A Trout or Harper type, LOL!
    For the best closer in baseball? Not prospects. LOL.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (11-20-2013)

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    This is all well and good as a hypothetical exercise but the underlying cancer is still money. The day the Braves have to trade Kimbrel for salary relief (not wowed by a ridiculous offer), the day they cannot afford to keep more than 2 of their good, young players (a.k.a. Heyward, Freeman Simmons, etc.), the day that the FO cannot field the same winning team for more than a year or two due to salaries: that will be the day I just walk away. Some sense of sanity has to infect MLB soon or this "fan" will give it all up.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravebonebook View Post
    This is all well and good as a hypothetical exercise but the underlying cancer is still money. The day the Braves have to trade Kimbrel for salary relief (not wowed by a ridiculous offer), the day they cannot afford to keep more than 2 of their good, young players (a.k.a. Heyward, Freeman Simmons, etc.), the day that the FO cannot field the same winning team for more than a year or two due to salaries: that will be the day I just walk away. Some sense of sanity has to infect MLB soon or this "fan" will give it all up.
    They can afford all 3 of them and then some, it takes two to tango.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,150 Posts

Los Angeles?
    Umm, hate to break it to you, but Profar IS an immense return for Kimbrel. If Texas offers that trade Wren needs to pull the trigger before they change their mind.

The value you are putting on Kimbrel is past absurd, and verging on laughable. I can only assume you are kidding.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Heyward (11-20-2013), thethe (11-20-2013)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Umm, hate to break it to you, but Profar IS an immense return for Kimbrel. If Texas offers that trade Wren needs to pull the trigger before they change their mind.

The value you are putting on Kimbrel is past absurd, and verging on laughable. I can only assume you are kidding.
    Profar for Kimbrel straight up? Are you Rob Ford'ing it?

Kimbrel is a franchise player. Profar has less than 500 major league ABs.

Don't think it can spelled out any more plainly.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    I'd take profar for kimbrel but that will never happen .
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

I'd think really hard about Profar for Ck. Profar for CK and Uggla I'd do before we hung up the phone.

Profar is going to be very good for a long time. He'll provide much more value than 2 closers.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts

Our biggest longterm needs are 2B/3B.

Plug in Profar at one of those.

Kimbrel pitches in 60-70 games a year, franchise player is highly debateable.

And if Texas offered Profar, probably wont happen, i'd do that for Kimbrel in a second.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Damn, somebody pass me the kool-aid cup.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,001 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I'd think really hard about Profar for Ck. Profar for CK and Uggla I'd do before we hung up the phone.

Profar is going to be very good for a long time. He'll provide much more value than 2 closers.
    I'd drive Uggla to Texas if that were offered. I was toying with that thought as well (bundling Uggla with Kimbrel).

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Damn, somebody pass me the kool-aid cup.
    You're overrating his value.

He's good, yes, but you arent gonna get a Trout/Harper/Kershaw like you seem to think you'd only trade him for.

Value wise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I'd drive Uggla to Texas if that were offered. I was toying with that thought as well (bundling Uggla with Kimbrel).
    What are you going to do with Uggla when you get there (Texas)?????