Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 June Draft Results Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,026 Posts
    Look I'm as big of a supporter of the FO there is. But I'm even a bit perplexed at this stage. Loved the first 4/5 picks and I like the ceilings of a few of the other guys but it's just weird picking that many pitchers. I'm still going to trust these guys that they know what they are doing but it is a bit strange. Just hope we transfer this eventual insane pitching depth to offense that's more of a sure thing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-09-2015)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,833 Posts
    Anyone handicapping tomorrow's rounds?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,001 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    This is our one pick that will sign for significantly below slot. We have to sign him or lose the slot money. We've drafted some other military academy guys (McKague was the last one in 2012) in recent years. They've pitched a little for us in the minors but in the end their service commitment (or perhaps lack of good results) prevented them from continuing.
    Tellor was the guy from last year that we signed for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay below slot.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,001 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Anyone handicapping tomorrow's rounds?
    I'm guessing some JUCOs from the SE. Unfortunately, I ton of the best prospects there are pitchers that I've written about before: Johnson-Mullins and Grayson Jones from Shelton St., Chad Smith from Wallace-Hanceville, Hightower from Columbia.

There are some toolsy JC position players as well. 1B/OF Isiah Gilliam from Chipola. OF Reese Cooley from Chipola. OF Justin Ellison from Western Oklahoma (where Andrelton Simmons played).

I'm guessing at least one half-court hook shot on one of the guys KB21 has mentioned.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-09-2015)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Yes... Did I miss where we drafted these guys?

Look *sshole - these are DIRECT cut-and-paste quotes from YOU...

"I obviously know very little if anything about these players" (Post #729, Page 37 of this thread)

I tried to provide you a little information about those players...

"Everett - top HS Pitcher in Tennessee. One of the hardest throwers in the draft. 6'2", 220. Above-average power slider. Holds velocity deep into games. Has some feel for a changeup, but hasn't had to use it much. Vandy commitment. Sounds a lot like a Miller/Folty clone to me personally. IF (big if, of course) Roger could help him develop a 2-seamer like Miller appears to be mastering he might not need a third pitch.

Hooper - big velocity deep into games as well, but has a better changeup than slider. Sounds like he has the same problem Julio has with his slider - struggles to stay on top of it and it flattens out at times. 6'7", 230. UCLA commitment.

Both guys are big horses, both profiled as 1st rounders just about everywhere I've looked."
    (Post 741, Page 38 of this thread)

Rather than asking "where did you see that", you chose to try to embarass me by saying

"I heard from fanboys like yourself who spin everything the organization does into a positive. "Would make sense that this was their plan all along" is a classic quote"
    (Post 766, Page 39 of this thread)...

You then point blank accused me of lying about the fact that those guys were projected as 1st round picks and asked me to provide proof...

"Link to me where these guys were projected first rounders... I'd love to see it." (Post 773, Page 39 of this thread)

And I provided you the links you asked for in Post 778, Page 39 and Post 781, Page 40 of this thread.

I have absolutely no problem with ANYONE who is willing to express their opinion when they're willing to preface it by stating it's their opinion, but when you pound your chest and act like you know something others don't know and they're able to provide you the proof that you asked for AND you're still unwilling to admit you were simply stating your uninformed opinion you might want to consider that you just look like an *sshole. You're absolutely more than welcome to express your own opinion (just as everyone else is), but when you ask for information that you have never considered and someone provides it to you just say "OK - I never saw that".

Your opinion is as valid as mine or anybody else who has no experience working in an MLB front office. It's not a crime to admit someone just MIGHT possess more information than you've seen, but it sure makes you look like a jerk when you're not willing to just say "I never considered that evidence". I promise you that if we all had access to the information Hart & Company have access to and we actually were better at what they do than they are at their jobs, we wouldn't be screwing around posting on internet message boards.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (06-09-2015)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Not a huge amount of Major League talent there... Medlen obviously the exception... doesn't seem like the best use of resources
    How about providing links to prove this "isn't the best use of resources" unless that's just YOUR OPINION instead of pointing out that you know that.

I'd love to see those links.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Look I'm as big of a supporter of the FO there is. But I'm even a bit perplexed at this stage. Loved the first 4/5 picks and I like the ceilings of a few of the other guys but it's just weird picking that many pitchers. I'm still going to trust these guys that they know what they are doing but it is a bit strange. Just hope we transfer this eventual insane pitching depth to offense that's more of a sure thing.

This is always the toughest thing to consider (for me). I'm perplexed as well, but I don't think Hart, Coppy, JS, Cox, Clark and everybody else can continually parade in front of the cameras and profess "we'd love to get impact hitters with these picks, but based on the information we have the Pitcher we picked was higher on our board" if they don't believe it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,749 Posts
    There was less complaining when we were taking low ceiling college pitchers with our first round picks. The NFL draft has ruined almost everyones perception of the MLB draft. You take the players your scouts like REGARDLESS OF THE MLB.COM RANKINGS. Last thing you want to happen is you pass on Mike Trout because he would be a reach and then another team takes him before your next pick.
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 06-09-2015 at 11:42 PM.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-10-2015)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    There was less complaining when we were taking low ceiling college pitchers with our first round picks. The NFL draft has ruined almost everyones perception of the MLB draft. You take the players your scouts like REGARDLESS OF THE MLB.COM RANKINGS. Last thing you want to happen is you pass on Mike Trout because he would be a reach and then another team takes him before your next pick.
    Great post Cajun. I'm admittedly perplexed, but if the Braves feel they got the pitchers they wanted, I have no choice but to "Wait and see" what happens.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,332 Posts
    I agree with Sturg in that I didn't like the philosophy of taking 9 out of 11 pitchers. That was undoubtedly by design.

But I'm just excited to get Allard in the system. That guy could be an absolute stud.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Keeping with the idea that the Braves do, in fact, have a plan, here is the relevant fact some of you don't seem to have:

Things change a bit on Day 3. Draft picks that ultimately sign for more than $100,000 in Rounds 11-40 still count against a team's allotted total, but the values of specific selections is not lost if a player does not sign. These rules, which went into effect in 2012, have led many teams to target those signability risks early on the third day. In 2012, the Braves drafted 10 high demand players in their final 10 picks and signed no one.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

weso1 (06-10-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,001 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Keeping with the idea that the Braves do, in fact, have a plan, here is the relevant fact some of you don't seem to have:

Things change a bit on Day 3. Draft picks that ultimately sign for more than $100,000 in Rounds 11-40 still count against a team's allotted total, but the values of specific selections is not lost if a player does not sign. These rules, which went into effect in 2012, have led many teams to target those signability risks early on the third day. In 2012, the Braves drafted 10 high demand players in their final 10 picks and signed no one.
    I think a lot of folks are aware of that rico, but you basically have to save $900,000 from your first ten picks to give someone drafted after the 10th round a million (or you pay a penalty for going over the pool llmit). That has led me to believe why wouldn't you take the guys with signability issues earlier and try to match the slot value more closely with what they will ultimately sign for. I suppose the answer to that is that it really limits a team's flexibility to fill the rookie league rosters or that everyone that's picked after the tenth round has a low floor and low ceiling.

I've written about the 2012 guys before: Brusa, Johnson, Gilikin, McLaughlin, Bishop (who was drafted in the 3rd round yesterday), Herget (drafted in the 6th round yesterday) and I really don't want to see a replay of that. I frankly don't know why they don't cut another ten rounds out of the draft because it looks like most everyone picked after the 30th round is either the longest of long shots or the kid of a scout or former player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,923 Posts
    From FGs:

The top-11 picks went pretty much as expected, with those players all projected there in some order. Husky Canadian prep 1B Josh Naylor crashed the party, jumping from late first-round expectations to 12th overall, which was the first big surprise of the night, similar to what Kodi Medeiros did last year with the Brewers. Often, what fans will term a “reach” or “overdraft” is a team deciding they want a player and realizing he won’t be at the next pick. I support this idea from the team’s side, especially if you can save some money, because when we look back at the draft in 10 years, we won’t say “this guy wasn’t a good value here,” we’ll either say he was good or he wasn’t. Don’t forget that rankings and mock drafts are a guide, not the correct answer. When you can’t trade picks, you take the guy you want and sometimes it’ll look like this.

Also on Minter:
    Only two players went last night who weren’t in my top 202: Tigers second-rounder LHP Tyler Alexander from TCU and Braves comp second-rounder LHP A.J. Minter from Texas A&M. Alexander was in the mix for the list, but has fringy stuff in most outings, although I recently heard his stuff ticked up very late. Of the four teams I asked about the pick to see if I missed something, one liked him as a fifth starter with some feel, for a pick a round or two lower than Detroit took him; another had him on the board for rounds 6-10; a third team was a little lower than that; and a fourth team didn’t turn him in, meaning they weren’t going to draft him. I saw Minter on Team USA last summer and didn’t think he belonged on the list, as a power reliever without a knockout second pitch and below average command. That said, he should come as a discount, as the sub-6 foot lefty reliever is recovering from Tommy John surgery.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,923 Posts
    http://www.talkingchop.com/2015/6/9/...rd-mike-soroka

Has a great summary for our top picks... info from twitter and analysts all on our top picks. Good article for the overall scoop on our newest Braves.
    Ivermectin Man

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-10-2015), JohnAdcox (06-10-2015), jpx7 (06-10-2015), sturg33 (06-10-2015)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,768 Posts
    Most of these hitters will be flipped for hitting soon.
    Forever Fredi

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,861 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Look *sshole - these are DIRECT cut-and-paste quotes from YOU...

"I obviously know very little if anything about these players" (Post #729, Page 37 of this thread)

I tried to provide you a little information about those players...

"Everett - top HS Pitcher in Tennessee. One of the hardest throwers in the draft. 6'2", 220. Above-average power slider. Holds velocity deep into games. Has some feel for a changeup, but hasn't had to use it much. Vandy commitment. Sounds a lot like a Miller/Folty clone to me personally. IF (big if, of course) Roger could help him develop a 2-seamer like Miller appears to be mastering he might not need a third pitch.

Hooper - big velocity deep into games as well, but has a better changeup than slider. Sounds like he has the same problem Julio has with his slider - struggles to stay on top of it and it flattens out at times. 6'7", 230. UCLA commitment.

Both guys are big horses, both profiled as 1st rounders just about everywhere I've looked."
    (Post 741, Page 38 of this thread)

Rather than asking "where did you see that", you chose to try to embarass me by saying

"I heard from fanboys like yourself who spin everything the organization does into a positive. "Would make sense that this was their plan all along" is a classic quote"
    (Post 766, Page 39 of this thread)...

You then point blank accused me of lying about the fact that those guys were projected as 1st round picks and asked me to provide proof...

"Link to me where these guys were projected first rounders... I'd love to see it." (Post 773, Page 39 of this thread)

And I provided you the links you asked for in Post 778, Page 39 and Post 781, Page 40 of this thread.

I have absolutely no problem with ANYONE who is willing to express their opinion when they're willing to preface it by stating it's their opinion, but when you pound your chest and act like you know something others don't know and they're able to provide you the proof that you asked for AND you're still unwilling to admit you were simply stating your uninformed opinion you might want to consider that you just look like an *sshole. You're absolutely more than welcome to express your own opinion (just as everyone else is), but when you ask for information that you have never considered and someone provides it to you just say "OK - I never saw that".

Your opinion is as valid as mine or anybody else who has no experience working in an MLB front office. It's not a crime to admit someone just MIGHT possess more information than you've seen, but it sure makes you look like a jerk when you're not willing to just say "I never considered that evidence". I promise you that if we all had access to the information Hart & Company have access to and we actually were better at what they do than they are at their jobs, we wouldn't be screwing around posting on internet message boards.
    Mature post per usual from you. But I see where your confusion came... My original "I don't know anything about these players" was referring to the players we drafted

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,861 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    How about providing links to prove this "isn't the best use of resources" unless that's just YOUR OPINION instead of pointing out that you know that.

I'd love to see those links.
    "doesn't seem to be..." is basically an opinion, no?

Regardless, judging from the talent that has made it through our picks in these rounds, I'd like to try a different strategy. Corey Gearin doesn't do much for me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,544 Posts
    "doesn't seem to be..." is basically an opinion, no?

Regardless, judging from the talent that has made it through our picks in these rounds, I'd like to try a different strategy. Corey Gearin doesn't do much for me
    What kind of strategy do you have in mind?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I agree with Sturg in that I didn't like the philosophy of taking 9 out of 11 pitchers. That was undoubtedly by design.

But I'm just excited to get Allard in the system. That guy could be an absolute stud.
    Exactomundo.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,923 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Exactomundo.
    I have to say the reports on him have been GLOWING since we selected him. Really like the pick.

One of those tweets said we were on Randolph before he was tabbed in front of us.

Would have liked to see Chalmers later on as well.
    Ivermectin Man