Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243

Thread: Postseason Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,006 Posts
    Awesome stuff, Royals. They had a great job this year!

Good job, Mets as well. I did NOT expect them to make it as far as they did. But they were smart, had good pitching and fought hard. Defense was the killer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,544 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    It worked out ok, but when looking at the parts, there isn't much difference between Odorizzi and Shields and they lost Shields in FA. The only reason the deal wasn't brutal was Davis ended up being a stud reliever and Holland went out hurt.
    They also got a pick for making a QO to Shields. The #33 overall pick in last year's draft. I didn't like that trade for KC, and still don't.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    I always wanted Ned to be the manager if we "had to keep it in the family" and be one of Bobby's predecessors. I understand he still not necessarily the best tactical manager out there, but it is very apparent the guy has learned from his mistakes (unlike you know who) in Milwaukee and early on in KC and become a very effective in game manager, and one has to be impressed with the way he handles the club and to be able to get so much fight out of a group of players is awesome, reminds me a lot of what we saw early on in Bobby's second tenure here.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Millwood1Hitter For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (11-02-2015), Dalyn (11-02-2015)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Also can't go without saying Terry Collins did a hell of a job with the Mets this year.
    Put any manager in that position and the results don't change. Best young staff in baseball and Cespedes was huge after they got him. Manager was the least important part of the Mets success.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Put any manager in that position and the results don't change. Best young staff in baseball and Cespedes was huge after they got him. Manager was the least important part of the Mets success.
    I'm not going to disagree with this, except he allowed his players to succeed, and that's all you can ask PLUS he absolutely toiled with and outmanaged the "genius" in the NLCS so you got to give him at least some credit. I feel bad for him, I've always really like Collins going back to his Angel days but it's the Mets so I don't feel too bad. They're going to be a force to be reckoned with for the forseable future with that pitching staff. Can they please bring back Steve Phillips?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    It worked out ok, but when looking at the parts, there isn't much difference between Odorizzi and Shields and they lost Shields in FA. The only reason the deal wasn't brutal was Davis ended up being a stud reliever and Holland went out hurt.
    Um what??? How exactly is there not much difference between what Odorossi has done with the Rays and what Shields did with the Royals? Shields threw 450+ innings for the Royals, not counting playoffs, and was every bit the TOR pitcher they expected him to be. It's pretty likely the Royals don't make the playoffs last season without that trade and it's likely the don't win the WS this year either.

KC received exactly the results they were looking for out of that trade. I fail to see how anyone can say it was a bad trade. Even if Wade doesn't throw another pitch and Odorozzi wins multiple Cy Young awards, it was still the right move.
    Last edited by Carp; 11-02-2015 at 02:32 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-02-2015)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Um what??? How exactly is there not much difference between what Odorossi has done with the Rays and what Shields did with the Royals? Shields threw 450+ innings for the Royals, not counting playoffs, and was every bit the TOR pitcher they expected him to be. It's pretty likely the Royals don't make the playoffs last season without that trade and it's likely the don't win the WS this year either.

KC received exactly the results they were looking for out of that trade. I fail to see how anyone can say it was a bad trade. Even if Wade doesn't throw another pitch and Odorozzi wins multiple Cy Young awards, it was still the right move.
    They got 2 years out of Shields at a significantly higher price than Odorizzi for 6 years and the difference between them certainly doesn't justify the cost and 4 less years.

How do the Royals not win the world series without the trade? They would have Myers (or a piece in return for him) and Odorizzi, who would probably be their 2nd best starter this year. Unless you think it's impossible to find a relief pitcher.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Didn't realize that KC had the 8th highest payroll in MLB

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    They got 2 years out of Shields at a significantly higher price than Odorizzi for 6 years and the difference between them certainly doesn't justify the cost and 4 less years.

How do the Royals not win the world series without the trade? They would have Myers (or a piece in return for him) and Odorizzi, who would probably be their 2nd best starter this year. Unless you think it's impossible to find a relief pitcher.
    They don't make the postseason last year without that trade. And if they don't make the postseason, Moore is probably gone and the team is likely much different than it is today.

Sure they "could" have won the WS without that trade. But they DID win the WS and that trade played a large role in the WS win.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    Jonny Gomes is a bad man with a microphone.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    They don't make the postseason last year without that trade. And if they don't make the postseason, Moore is probably gone and the team is likely much different than it is today.
    This is commonly referred to as grasping for straws.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Didn't realize that KC had the 8th highest payroll in MLB
    It certainly doesn't hurt!
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    This is commonly referred to as grasping for straws.
    How is that? Without Shields (their best starter) and Wade, they don't make the playoffs. That isn't any sort of debate. And without making the playoffs last year, this current team looks much different.

What we know for a fact is that the trade played a large role in the Royals making two world series, winning one of them.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-04-2015)