Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Trade 'em or keep 'em

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,907 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I would ride you out of town on a rail.

Winning teams don't trade Kimbrel, That would be like getting back (in terms of value) Wood, Gilmartin, and Sims. Not a bad return, bu not a trade you make as a winning team. We don't need prospects, hell we don't even need a 3B for next year. We need a closer who can lock down games for as long as we can hold onto him (which shouldn't be an issue until it's FA time for Jason and Justin. Even then, it may not happen if we don't keep Mac, I'd gladly ship off Medlen to keep Kimbrel)
    Smart organizations make trades like this. Sure, we don't need prospects now but we will once all of our money is locked up into 4-5 players. If you keep producing cheap talent then you can ensure that Freeman/Heyward/Simmons/Minor/Teheran are Braves for a LONG LONG time.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    The Tigers farm system is bad. If they trade Castellanos it would probably be the worst in the majors. I would ask for Castellanos, Rondon, and Jake Thompson in return for Kimbrel
    They've made a lot of "for now" trades and that's depleted their system. Plus, Ilitch has a ton of cash so he can keep re-stocking the big league squad without paying much attention to the minors. I agree that Castellanos would be a great centerpiece (maybe the only significant piece) in a Kimbrel trade.

As for closers in general, they're kind of like special teams in football. The don't make an appreciable difference in elevating a mediocre team, but they can be extremely valuable and a difference-maker at the elite levels. Tigers totally p*ssed away Game 2 and Benoit has looked shaky all post-season. Closers help win "the games you are supposed to win" and it's hard to put a value on that.

Tigers will never trade Scherzer, but I think he's similar to Chris Johnson in that I don't know if his value is ever going to be higher. Don't get me wrong, he's a better player than Chris Johnson, but I don't know if he'll ever have another season like this one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    They've made a lot of "for now" trades and that's depleted their system. Plus, Ilitch has a ton of cash so he can keep re-stocking the big league squad without paying much attention to the minors. I agree that Castellanos would be a great centerpiece (maybe the only significant piece) in a Kimbrel trade.

As for closers in general, they're kind of like special teams in football. The don't make an appreciable difference in elevating a mediocre team, but they can be extremely valuable and a difference-maker at the elite levels. Tigers totally p*ssed away Game 2 and Benoit has looked shaky all post-season. Closers help win "the games you are supposed to win" and it's hard to put a value on that.

Tigers will never trade Scherzer, but I think he's similar to Chris Johnson in that I don't know if his value is ever going to be higher. Don't get me wrong, he's a better player than Chris Johnson, but I don't know if he'll ever have another season like this one.
    You were saying?

CBS Sports' Danny Knobler is hearing from sources that there is a "very real chance" the Tigers will trade right-hander Max Scherzer over the offseason.

Scherzer is the heavy favorite to win the American League Cy Young Award this year and the Tigers will be looking to make a late postseason run again next year. But the 29-year-old is going to be a free agent after the 2014 season and could command a contract beyond Detroit's means. Trading him this winter rather than this summer would net the Tigers a better package of prospects. Still, it's not close to a certainty that it'll happen at any point. Oct 10 - 3:28 PM

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-15-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    Many have brought up the James Shields trade as a way to figure out value Price could get, but remember the package the Mets got for Dickey?? Talk about a major haul for a 38 year old! Aces don't come cheap.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    You were saying?

CBS Sports' Danny Knobler is hearing from sources that there is a "very real chance" the Tigers will trade right-hander Max Scherzer over the offseason.

Scherzer is the heavy favorite to win the American League Cy Young Award this year and the Tigers will be looking to make a late postseason run again next year. But the 29-year-old is going to be a free agent after the 2014 season and could command a contract beyond Detroit's means. Trading him this winter rather than this summer would net the Tigers a better package of prospects. Still, it's not close to a certainty that it'll happen at any point. Oct 10 - 3:28 PM
    Thanks. I stand (or sit, as I am doing right now) corrected. Where does he go if they move him?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Thanks. I stand (or sit, as I am doing right now) corrected. Where does he go if they move him?
    I think I was the first to bring up a possible fit with the Tigers and these players a couple months ago. Realistically I know there is little chance of such a trade happening but then what is the off season for except wishful thinking.

The Tigers have 2 (and ONLY TWO) needs in their lineup. Oddly we have only TWO realistic trade chips and they both fit exactly if you use a bit of futuristic tweaking. J Upton and Kimbrel fit perfectly for Detroits needs. Scherzer and Castellanos fit almost exactly what we mostly have been saying on here. I do think Detroit would have to sweeten the pot especially if Scherzer gets what is projected in arbitration.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    I think I was the first to bring up a possible fit with the Tigers and these players a couple months ago. Realistically I know there is little chance of such a trade happening but then what is the off season for except wishful thinking.

The Tigers have 2 (and ONLY TWO) needs in their lineup. Oddly we have only TWO realistic trade chips and they both fit exactly if you use a bit of futuristic tweaking. J Upton and Kimbrel fit perfectly for Detroits needs. Scherzer and Castellanos fit almost exactly what we mostly have been saying on here. I do think Detroit would have to sweeten the pot especially if Scherzer gets what is projected in arbitration.
    The main problem with that is, Scherzer is arb eligible for the final time next year and then will hit free agency. There is no chance we could resign him. Is it really worth it to give up that much for 1 year of him, even if it gets us a "potential" future 3B?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,987 Posts

Detroit could sweeten the pot by taking Uggla off our hands. I'm not that big on Scherzer. I mean, he's good and all, but things really fell together for him this season. I think someone is going to end up paying him a lot more than his production will warrant.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    The main problem with that is, Scherzer is arb eligible for the final time next year and then will hit free agency. There is no chance we could resign him. Is it really worth it to give up that much for 1 year of him, even if it gets us a "potential" future 3B?
    Hopefully 1 year of Scherzer would be all we really need. IF he holds his performance level to this year and if Teheran/Minor/Wood progress at the ML level and some of the prospects progress as well.

They might have some interest in Uggla if Infante moves on. Tho IMO the amount of money we would have to eat would remain substantial.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    Hopefully 1 year of Scherzer would be all we really need. IF he holds his performance level to this year and if Teheran/Minor/Wood progress at the ML level and some of the prospects progress as well.

They might have some interest in Uggla if Infante moves on. Tho IMO the amount of money we would have to eat would remain substantial.
    But to mortgage a big piece of our future for 1 year of Scherzer, if we don't win it all, it could set the organization back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    Reading this article on Braves.com, this line stood out to me. Is it really possible someone would consider taking BJ off of our hands? You'd have to assume with the money he's owed and the down year, he has little to no value:

The two biggest question marks are in center field and at second base, positions that proved problematic as B.J. Upton and Dan Uggla endured their struggles this past season. There is certainly a chance the Braves will attempt to make a trade with the understanding they would have to eat more than half of the money still owed to either the 29-year-old Upton (four years, $59.8 million) or 33-year-old Uggla (two years, $26 million).

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/a...51450&c_id=atl

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,987 Posts
    Reading this article on Braves.com, this line stood out to me. Is it really possible someone would consider taking BJ off of our hands? You'd have to assume with the money he's owed and the down year, he has little to no value:

The two biggest question marks are in center field and at second base, positions that proved problematic as B.J. Upton and Dan Uggla endured their struggles this past season. There is certainly a chance the Braves will attempt to make a trade with the understanding they would have to eat more than half of the money still owed to either the 29-year-old Upton (four years, $59.8 million) or 33-year-old Uggla (two years, $26 million).

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/a...51450&c_id=atl
    I don't think a writer puts a quote like that in an article without some kind of nod and wink from the person he's interviewing. I HATE to pay guys to play for someone else, but we may have no choice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    I don't think a writer puts a quote like that in an article without some kind of nod and wink from the person he's interviewing. I HATE to pay guys to play for someone else, but we may have no choice.
    If we're considering trading Upton and paying some of his salary to whoever will take him, then what message is that sending? We made a huge mistake? We have no faith in him to rebound? Unacceptable by the front office.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-15-2013)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,987 Posts
    If we're considering trading Upton and paying some of his salary to whoever will take him, then what message is that sending? We made a huge mistake? We have no faith in him to rebound? Unacceptable by the front office.
    I don't know what it says other than Wren really messed up. I think Wren is just throwing it out there that he's willing to talk on these guys. I don't think he's saying, "Here. Take them and we'll pay all of their salary." I think he's trying to determine whether or not there is a market for them, what that market might be, and how big a safe he'll have to buy to carry all the money he'll be sending with them in the event they are traded. I think a trade of Uggla is more likely than a trade of Upton (either Upton).

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I know it would b a lot but what about goin for Scherzer and Castellanos? Gattis, Kimbrel, Uggla, and Medlen and we get a window for an extension on Scherzer.
    Why on earth would the Tigers do this? A top of the rotation starter and a legit prospect for a closer, mid rotation starter, a crappy, overpaid 2B, and a 28 year old DH/backup catcher. (who wouldn't play over Fielder, V-Mart, Avila)