Thread: College

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,032 Posts
    BBA in Marketing from MTSU.

Graduated in 09.

Parents paid school and housing. I worked as a valet on weekends. Came home in the summers and worked at factories.

Tuition was only about $4000 per semester when I started in 03 I believe. Ended up closer to 4600 when I was done. Now it's over $5000
    Last edited by Carp; 07-16-2014 at 02:30 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

57Brave (07-16-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,422 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Our school model is intended to include philosophy in/with our Ancient-Middle-Ages, Early Modern, and Modern history courses and then we have a specific Ethics course as well. Our American history course is also to include a fairly heavy does of political philosophy.
    How many kids?

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Parkland or did you go to a directional school?
    SIUE

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    I'm a big fan of community college - get all those "pointless" classes out of the way and save a bundle doing so.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bj1133 For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (07-17-2014)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    How many kids?
    Very small school - about 50 total. Each class has around 12 students.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bj1133 View Post
    SIUE
    Cool, Dr. Hightower is one of the people I look up to from that area. He has no affiliation with the school but the president of the city schools and I think one of the best refs in basketball until his retirement this year. yes, his antics were over the top, but no coach would say he is terrible or even slighty bad.

And I am from Southern Illinois. I played legion ball with Terry Shumpert (a close friend of mine growing up) and Finley. The Illinois (Massac) boys can play with Paducah KY boys due to proximity. I was too far south of the Marion/Carbondale region.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bj1133 View Post
    I'm a big fan of community college - get all those "pointless" classes out of the way and save a bundle doing so.
    If you live in Wisconsin, this is paramount in saving money. All universities will take the two year "common" classes as credit for a 4 year degree. The only culprit is Wisconsin ( a very good school). They had no issue with me because I came from other universities in taking common classes. I think you have to have an ACT/SAT plus a certain GPA to be admitted at their university as a junior. All others in the state does not have this requirement I think.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Absolutely I think so. Secondary schools should offer as many critical thinking classes as possible. I'm sure someone could come up with a curriculum that isn't overbearing.

They do it in Europe.
    Sorry, my own glibness got the better of me. I meant only in high school? You were proposing this as something that should be gotten out of the way and finished before going to university, I believe. I'm all for having some philosophy in high schools (that would be great! start 'em young), but you are only going to be able to barely scratch the surface of that field, even with exception students. A rigorous collegiate philosophy course single only scratches the surface. Trying to be finished with philosophy at 17... that's asking a bit much.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory BlackwaterPark's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    I have graduated with my Associates and Bachelors in last two years, and working on Masters now.

I took loans out for my associates which I am still paying. I paid cash for my bachelors as I was taking the classes. I have my portion of my associates paid off, but owe another 18k on my dads parents plus loan that I am paying, which I should have paid off in next year or so.

I had zero financial support from my parents. They made it clear I was paying for college either on my own, or via an academic or athletic scholarship. I failed the latter two options, so am paying for it lol.

After graduating with my associates, the college I attend hired me for a job in field, and I am still working there, and am currently #3 in the department. I worked my way through my bachelors taking 18 classes over a year and a half while working full-time.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlackwaterPark For This Useful Post:

57Brave (07-17-2014), CK86 (07-17-2014), NinersSBChamps (07-17-2014)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory BlackwaterPark's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    I feel every high school, and college, need to be teaching personal finance classes. I know Dave Ramsey and his daughter Rachel are doing a good amount teaching people, and HS to College kids, but I feel it really needs to be mandatory learning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    Sorry, my own glibness got the better of me. I meant only in high school? You were proposing this as something that should be gotten out of the way and finished before going to university, I believe. I'm all for having some philosophy in high schools (that would be great! start 'em young), but you are only going to be able to barely scratch the surface of that field, even with exception students. A rigorous collegiate philosophy course single only scratches the surface. Trying to be finished with philosophy at 17... that's asking a bit much.
    Well, at my college we took an introductory class to philosophy and that was it. I don't think most schools require much more than that. I'm just saying kids should get that out of the way in high school where it's "free" and more kids would be exposed to that introduction to philosophy. And if it's something they want to pursue further then they'd have that choice in college. Introduction to logic, art and music appreciation, literature, PE, English. All of this should be covered in high school. We need to improve those classes in high school so the kids have a good foundation of knowledge as they go to school. I'd love to see more schools just get rid of the general elective requirements. It's just gotten so expensive.

And then come up with more creative ways for kids to continue to experience philosophy, art, music, etc. without them having to pay for a course or be forced to stay an extra year or two in college.
    thank you weso1!

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Ok, I'm on board with that for the most part, I guess. Though I think something like philosophy should be part of the core curriculum for any degree from an institution claiming to be more than a vocational trade school. Learning how to think well is important to essentially any field of education.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    When I went thru GT back in the day, you know a looonnnnggg time ago, I took 2 or 3 philosophy classes. I believe one was required - a philosophy of science course. It was hands down, one of the top 2 classes I ever took at Tech. The other you ask? A lit class on Flannery O'Connor. Yeah, I'm odd.

Anyway, the philosophy of science class was so great because the prof's aim was to get his budding engineers and scientists not to be such "since I've got a formula or equation that I know how to work I know everything" arseholes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    I graduated in 2010, 5 years at a public university and got a degree in broadcast journalism.

Wasn't told prior to graduation that if I wasn't in about a 250 mile radius of a station, I didn't have much of a chance of getting hired due to the economic climate (basically minimum wage with a 2 year contract).

Still have like $12,000 left in debt. Don't even work in my field which is depressing. Would love to go back to school but I've got no clue on what area I would go into and I'm sure as hell not wasting more money if I don't have a plan in mind. Luckily my parents helped me out quite a bit so I don't have a ton of debt but enough to take me a while given my shaky financial situation.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to CK86 For This Useful Post:

57Brave (07-17-2014)