Thread: GDT - Fourth of July - Braves vs. D'Backs

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    I do agree with Zeets here.

Heyward/JUp/FF/Gattis should be the top 4 when healthy, after that you can mix/match however you want.

Sadly, this streak bought BJ in leadoff for a little while longer unfortunately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,748 Posts
    Damn streak ruining this team. What we need is a losing streak so long that BJ gets benched, Uggla gets released, and Fredi gets fired.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (07-05-2014)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Sadly, this streak bought BJ in leadoff for a little while longer unfortunately.
    The unfortunate thing is based on how basically every MLB manager reacts. He'll stay at 1 long after he stops hitting because of wanting him to "break out"

I hope we still win enough games to win the NL East but I'm becoming less optimistic as the season wanes into the final months as the Nationals are playing much better as well. We'll make the playoffs as even with our lineup at it's craziest wrong, I can't see us not getting one of the wild card spots.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,544 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    The unfortunate thing is based on how basically every MLB manager reacts. He'll stay at 1 long after he stops hitting because of wanting him to "break out"

I hope we still win enough games to win the NL East but I'm becoming less optimistic as the season wanes into the final months as the Nationals are playing much better as well. We'll make the playoffs as even with our lineup at it's craziest wrong, I can't see us not getting one of the wild card spots.
    Try to resist starting a thread titled "The Wild Card is Ours." That's all I ask.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,911 Posts
    I know it isn't ideal but wherever BJ is producing we need to keep him there. I'd rather it not be leadoff but something is working and we are better off with a semi-productive BJ than the worst player in baseball version of BJ.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I know it isn't ideal but wherever BJ is producing we need to keep him there. I'd rather it not be leadoff but something is working and we are better off with a semi-productive BJ than the worst player in baseball version of BJ.
    I'd rather have 60 more PA of Jason Heyward.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Heyward (07-05-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,544 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    That's pure superstition. Placement in the order has virtually no effect on how a hitter hits.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    That's pure superstition. Placement in the order has virtually no effect on how a hitter hits.
    Except when it does.

.268/.302/.415 at leadoff.

.192/.267/.327 elsewhere.

You know this. In baseball, superstition matters. So does confidence. If you think you're hitting because you're getting laid or not getting laid, you are. Or, in Melvin's case, hitting leadoff or not hitting leadoff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,911 Posts
    Can't eliminate the human element 100% out of the game. Its not a game played by computer simulations.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,544 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Except when it does.

.268/.302/.415 at leadoff.

.192/.267/.327 elsewhere.

You know this. In baseball, superstition matters. So does confidence. If you think you're hitting because you're getting laid or not getting laid, you are. Or, in Melvin's case, hitting leadoff or not hitting leadoff.
    Let me offer the following for your consideration.

I give you a group of players with the following quality in the first half of 2013. They hit much better in one spot of the order than elsewhere in the first half. What do you think their second half data look like. Do they continue to hit better in that spot in the second half?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,881 Posts
    BJ has gotten a hit every game since being moved back to the leadoff spot. Hitting 293/326/439 - 115 wrc+ in those 10 games. SS and all that and I don't believe he's figured it out but ride the hot hand I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,921 Posts
    Baseball is all about riding a hot streak. It happens with relievers, hitters, bench players, and relievers a lot. Other than regulars, you just ride the hot hands. Gotta find the heat and ride it til it cools. Can't explain it.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Let me offer the following for your consideration.

I give you a group of players with the following quality in the first half of 2013. They hit much better in one spot of the order than elsewhere in the first half. What do you think their second half data look like. Do they continue to hit better in that spot in the second half?
    I'm guessing you'll prove to me that they don't, that they'll regress. I understand.

What I'm saying is that sometimes it's a feel thing and that that's valid. I know, for instance, without looking at the data, that we are cashing a larger percentage of BJs hits and walks than we are others. And sometimes those subtle little coincidences that aren't grounded in data mean we steal a few. And our Pythagorean shows that we should be worse than we are, and there's really no data to explain it.

And our run differential shows we should win 87 and we win 92.

That's baseball.

So I'm with thethe. Keep him up there while the magic is happening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    BJ has gotten a hit every game since being moved back to the leadoff spot. Hitting 293/326/439 - 115 wrc+ in those 10 games. SS and all that and I don't believe he's figured it out but ride the hot hand I guess.
    My stats didn't include the last game.

You know, his loss of skill was quite mysterious. Who's to say his regaining his skill would be any less mysterious?

This is a guy who has hit .300 with a .386 OBP in the major leagues.
    Last edited by GovClintonTyree; 07-05-2014 at 01:18 PM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    My stats didn't include the last game.

You know, his loss of skill was quite mysterious. Who's to say his regaining his skill would be any less mysterious?

This is a guy who has hit .300 with a .386 OBP in the major leagues.
    Who knows. I never did expect some of his bigger years in Tampa in Atlanta. I just expected something like a 105-110 wrc+ with plus defense and good base running/steals. He has talent but it starts with his strikeout rate. When it's in the upper 20's or low 30's he just isn't going to be a productive major league hitter. He needs low to mid 20's to be even remotely not bad.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Who knows. I never did expect some of his bigger years in Tampa in Atlanta. I just expected something like a 105-110 wrc+ with plus defense and good base running/steals. He has talent but it starts with his strikeout rate. When it's in the upper 20's or low 30's he just isn't going to be a productive major league hitter. He needs low to mid 20's to be even remotely not bad.
    There is the school of thought that strike outs don't really matter and for some hitters, that is true. If Upton were a consistent 30 HR/.350 OBP guy, they wouldn't. He's not, so they do. Has some very good physical tools and I hope he puts things back together.

Like wupk, I wasn't expecting the 2007 or 2008 Bossman, Jr., but I was hoping for something like the 2010-2012. But even in those years the payoff on the K-rate was not very good.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    There is the school of thought that strike outs don't really matter and for some hitters, that is true. If Upton were a consistent 30 HR/.350 OBP guy, they wouldn't. He's not, so they do. Has some very good physical tools and I hope he puts things back together.

Like wupk, I wasn't expecting the 2007 or 2008 Bossman, Jr., but I was hoping for something like the 2010-2012. But even in those years the payoff on the K-rate was not very good.
    A hitter can be good and strike out a lot. That is where that school of thought comes from. The younger Upton is an example of this. Someone like say Martin Prado could not be a good hitter with a high K rate. It's just dependent on what other abilities that hitter has like power/walk rate or LD% in Chris Johnson's case. Upton's K rate those years wasn't pretty either but it was still around the mid 20's. His time with the Braves it has been at 30% or higher. That's just not going to get it done especially with him not hitting for as much power as he did in Tampa. In the last 10 games though his K rate has been at the 25% mark and we've seen better results. I think think that is the key for him. Mid 20 K rate and he won't be an abortion of a hitter.