Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: GDT: 9/6/14 Braves (Wood) at Marlins (Eovaldi )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I blame him for giving up way too many passed balls that have costed us wins.

Comparing that and you complaining about Fredi after every loss is night and day but whatever helps you sleep at night.
    I don't need help sleeping at night because unlike you I'm a straight shooter. One might disagree with me but everyone that knows me will say I'm not going to play childish games and other such nonsense. So call me whatever you want.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I dont think anyone here really hates Gattis especially when you know where he came from.

He's just given up so many passed balls that have costed us games.

I dont hate him, but he shouldnt be catcher next year.
    We were spoiled by years of Mac. Gattis is pretty much average for the position.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    We were spoiled by years of Mac. Gattis is pretty much average for the position.
    Agreed. Plus he brings a lot of power on offense, trading away what we need more of (offense) isn't the answer.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Defensively, yes.

He's been better than Mac at the dish this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,065 Posts
    Gattis has some serious power, not just the hit it long power, but he can hit HRs on short quick swings where it doesn't even look like he's swinging for the fence. Everytime he hits it in the air I expect it to go out.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Agreed. Plus he brings a lot of power on offense, trading away what we need more of (offense) isn't the answer.
    I'm more for trading CB. It's risky but trading from our Cs is the only way to improve our team via trade or get someone to take Bossman that doesn't eman giving up one of your young pitchers.

I've mused over what I'd try to do to make the team better and this is what I came up with.

Bossman, Graham, and CB for Dickey and Buehrle with some cash swapping where we get money in 2015 and give that back to Toronto in 2016. Toronto is making a gamble basically, they will almost certainly be improving at catcher, while taking a gamble in CF. Rasmus is a FA and Gose is not off to a great start If they think they can fix Bossman they could seriously improve their position player standing, like the Braves the Jays have a ton of pitching propsects, so losing Buehrle for a season will sting, but they should be able to soften the blow. On the money side, DIckey and Buehrle are owed a staggering 31M so they kick some cash our way and we'd repay them plus a little the following few years. ON our end Buehrle is solid as a rock. Year in and year out he's basically the same pitcher, ERA in mid-high 3s, Hip in high 3s/low 4s and xFIP in low to mid4s. and 200+ innings. He should be a 3 WAR or so pitcher. And we can only hope either returning to the NL or McDOwell can turn Dickey around. If he can get back to his mid 3 FIP ways we'll be pretty set in the rotation.

I'd offer Medlen and Beachy 1 year incentive laden deals based on IP. I'd do the same with Floyd. I expect Floyd to turn it down given our glut of pitching.

I would trade Chris Johnson to the highest bidder and sign Chris Johnson. I would pur Peraza in CF starting tomorrow. I have my concerns about him but considering we've gotten nothing from CF offensively the last few years he can't be worse. Free Agent CG market is bare. Though I'll add if Jason doesn't sign an extension, then I'd just move him to CF and sign Cruz or Morse if we can make it work monetarily.

Anyway I'm being optimistic and saying Jason stays.

RF - Jason
    LF - Justin
    1B - Freeman
    C - Gattis
    3B - Headley
    2B - TLS
    SS - Simmons
    P
    CF - Peraza

Peraza has the speed but I doubt he can hit enough now to be a 1 or 2, instead treat him as a false leadoff man. When he gets on it's like he's leading off.

Bench
    FA C (Honestly pretty much all backup catchers are equals, I'd rank my top 3 in order, Ross, Buck, Laird)
    Pena
    Gosselin
    Cunningham
    Terds.

Rotation
    Buehrle
    Julio
    Minor
    Dickey
    Wood

Yes I'm splitting up lefties, yes I know that's largely unnecessary. Just playing it like every mlb manager would.

Pen
    Kimbel
    Walden
    Medlen (assuming health all around)
    Beachy (ditto)
    Carpenter
    Russell
    Varvaro

I know, no lefties, but Medlen to me is the lefty killer. He should be able to work his excellent change. And of course the odds of Medlen and Beachy being on the team and healthy are super low then Avilan comes into play or maybe a FA like Andrew Miller
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,766 Posts
    One could argue it's harder to crunch then to maintain. At least there is an expectation.
    Or if you're zito, you can argue just because you always want to argue.
    Forever Fredi