Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016-2017 Off-Season Thread

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I don't think we'll go after Melancon either. I think a team like the Giants, Nats, or Rangers will scoop him up pretty quickly

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Heyman tweets that Os have potential interest in Inciarte.

Don't see a match - Sisco's certainly not enough on his own IMO, and they'd be backing up if they traded Bundy for him. I'd drive Nick to the airport (and I live over 4 hours away!!!) if they'd take him for Sisco though.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    This would be ideal, IMO. Astros are a major suitor for Jason Castro, so if they get McCann, it would take them out of that market.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,926 Posts
    That no trade clause tho

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    That no trade clause tho
    Yeah, that will make things interesting. Would be nice to see him traded to an undesirable location that leads him to veto the deal. Cashman will then need to come to the Braves, hat-in-hand.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    If we make a big trade I think Albies will be the center piece. They aren't asking about pitchers like Archer if they are only willing to give up Chris Ellis caliber prospects. Something something value greater at SS.
    I have extreme manlove for Archer, and with an excellent contract, I would go very high for him. For him and Longoria, I just think I'd pare off half the farm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,038 Posts
    As an aside to the Longo thing above, I knew Brad Miller could hit for power, and he finally did last year for Tampa. He was an adequate shortstop here in Seattle, but really came into his own in TBR at 1B. That's fine, but he's defensively underemployed at 1B. He could handle 3B for them at a high level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,038 Posts
    One other thought, while I'm doing my once-every-three-day pontificating...I think Coppy means it when he says 'you don't sign or trade for an ace, you develop them.' That is true right up until it becomes possible to work a deal for a Chris Archer at a cheap price for 4-5 more years which costs you 3-4 maybes, at which point dealing for your ace starts to look pretty darn good.

Can't miss prospects often do. It'd be great if we could find the Vince Moore, Donnie Elliott and Melvin Nieves of our current system and send them out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Yeah, that will make things interesting. Would be nice to see him traded to an undesirable location that leads him to veto the deal. Cashman will then need to come to the Braves, hat-in-hand.
    I would giggle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,751 Posts
    It would be funny if McCann and Gattis end up on the Dame team again.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    It would be funny if McCann and Gattis end up on the Dame team again.
    Fighting Irish have a MLB team!?
    Ivermectin Man

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-10-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,006 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    One other thought, while I'm doing my once-every-three-day pontificating...I think Coppy means it when he says 'you don't sign or trade for an ace, you develop them.' That is true right up until it becomes possible to work a deal for a Chris Archer at a cheap price for 4-5 more years which costs you 3-4 maybes, at which point dealing for your ace starts to look pretty darn good.

Can't miss prospects often do. It'd be great if we could find the Vince Moore, Donnie Elliott and Melvin Nieves of our current system and send them out.
    I personally wait and see what we have this year before selling off pieces and showing a guy like Harper or Machado that we are going for it -- and will use the money and resources to become good. That's just me. I sign Hammel or trade for Santana and see what we have in the young guys. Oh, and trade Kakes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    While it certainly makes sense, this is the first I've seen on the FO pursuing players for positions other than SP and C. I think we could attract a good super-utility type as a result of having second-division starters at 2B and 3B (Garcia, Peterson).

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    While it certainly makes sense, this is the first I've seen on the FO pursuing players for positions other than SP and C. I think we could attract a good super-utility type as a result of having second-division starters at 2B and 3B (Garcia, Peterson).

That is interesting. Albies is better as a righty, Swanson is a righty. Camargo and Moore aren't far away, but are are both righties. I'm assuming they're looking for a left handed utility who can play SS?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    That is interesting. Albies is better as a righty, Swanson is a righty. Camargo and Moore aren't far away, but are are both righties. I'm assuming they're looking for a left handed utility who can play SS?
    Hmmm. Sounds a little like Jace!

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts

Super Utility guy could be Kelly Johnson. Can play any IF position and most OF.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Super Utility guy could be Kelly Johnson. Can play any IF position and most OF.
    KJ makes a lot of sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Doesn't have to be someone who can play SS. Albies and Peterson could slide to short as needed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Coppy quotes from DOB's latest . . .

“We’re buying and selling,” said Braves general manager John Coppolella, as he packed a suitcase Thursday and prepared to return his rental car to the Phoenix airport for a mid-afternoon flight to Atlanta. “Not that we’re going to move anybody in the outfield, but we’re always looking for ways to get better.

“I think we’ve got a real creative group and there’s going to be a couple of different things we want to do as we try to go about it.”

Asked to clarify that quote about the outfielders before it could possibly be misinterpreted, Coppolella said “We are not looking to move any outfield guys.”

He reiterated what the Braves were still searching for, including another innings-eating starter and potentially a catcher, preferably a left-handed hitter. Trading for Yankees veteran catcher McCann, the perennial former Braves All-Star, remains a possibility.

“For sure one starter, possibly two, and it could come either through free agency or trade,” Coppolella said of his remaining shopping list. “Possible catcher to pair with Tyler Flowers, and possible super-utility type guy. We made progress on those fronts. We’re talking to teams about a number of different deals. Just got a lot going.”

That includes talks with agents for multiple catchers – Jason Castro, Nick Hundley and high-priced Matt Wieters are among available free agents – and teams willing to trade a catcher, including Coppolella’s old employer, the Yankees.

The early asking price for McCann was way too high, but the Braves and Yankees have had further discussions. Coppolella said they won’t wait for any particular free agent or trade target if they can make another deal they like sooner. Patience isn’t a virtue with the Braves in their offseason manuevering.

“Cash has got to do what he’s got to do,” Coppolella said of Yankees GM Brian Cashman. “We do have interest in Brian (McCann), we made them offers. If Cash can get better deals, he’s got to do what he’s got to do. I’ve got the utmost respect for him. If it works out for us, great. If it doesn’t, I totally understand.

“(Cashman) has been transparent, he’s been really good throughout the trade talks. It’s one of those things where if we don’t match up, we don’t match up.”

Asked about the competition for players, Coppolella said, “I think the word for us would be musical chairs. It’s kind of like you’ve got concurrent conversations going. We’ve told teams, we’ve told agents, if we do something else that may take you out of the mix. We’re not trying to rush you, we’re just trying to be transparent that we’re not going to put all of our eggs into one basket.”

The Braves wasted no time signing Dickey, who fit the description well for what the Braves wanted to add.

“We’re looking for innings,” Coppolella said. “We’re looking for guys who can suck up innings so we don’t have to kill our bullpen. We’re looking for guys who can pitch innings and short-term deals, so we were thrilled to be able to get this done early and cross this off our list.”
    http://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/b...014_braves_sfp