Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1868

Thread: - STARTS TODAY AT 7PM - 2016 June Amateur Draft Discussion

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    So many conflicting reports have no idea who goes in what order of the top three. Hoping Lewis/Groome/Moniak
    Those are the three I think I'd like to see us choose from myself, and in that order.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,133 Posts
    Yeah OB that would be my list exactly. I just wish somebody else would step up so the Reds let Lewis slip 1 spot.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VOLracious View Post
    Listening to Jim Callis on a certain middle GA host's program. He thinks the Phils are hot on Puk at 1. Compared him to Sean Newcomb. Top college pitcher in draft. If he closes well Phils grab him. Phils not interested in HS arms. Central GA radio host thinks Phils go Lewis. Not much talk on Reds. I didn't get a feel for who they might take. Said the Braves draft Lewis if he's there and thinks he will be. Best floor/ceiling combo in draft. Won't stick in CF. Will outgrow. All Star RF. Said Braves would draft Pint over JG if they went that direction. Mentioned maturity issues with Groome. Groome not as good as Brady Aiken. I've seen Groome described as best HS pitcher since Kershaw. Said Braves really like Josh Lowe. There was another guy Calais said the Braves hoped would be there at 40. Said he was best GA HS pitching spect since Wainwright. Sorry cant recall the names. Was driving no notes. Moniak is hot commodity right now has mo. Probably won't get past Rockies. My thoughts are that if the draft is that good on HS pitchers I culd see the Braves grab Lewis and target the HS pitchers at 40 and 44. Braves definitely looking at hitters.
    Just heard the interview. Callis was actually saying scouts believe Josh Lowe could be the best HS pitcher from Georgia since Wainwright, but he wants to play every day and hit.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,151 Posts
    BP has just updated their top 25 draft prospects, which is NOT a mock draft. I have included only the top 10 because nobody ranked below that has any chance of being picked at #3.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=29234

1. Jason Groome, LHP, Barnegat HS (NJ) — He’s still the best. Around. Nothing’s ever gonna bring him down. I bet you can’t guess which movie I watched before writing these.

2. Corey Ray, OF, Louisville — Even if he’s not going to stay in center, Ray has four plus tools, and that makes him pretty darn valuable at any position.

3. Delvin Perez, SS, International Baseball Academy (P.R.) — Scouts are somewhat torn on the power tool, but I think when he fills out his frame and with his plus bat speed, he’s going to hit dingers.

4. Blake Rutherford, OF, Chaminade Prep (CA) — Call him a poor man’s Corey Ray, as every tool but the arm is above-average.

5. Braxton Garrett, LHP, Florence HS (AL) — When the season started, Garrett was considered a late day one talent. Oh how things have changed.

Garrett’s always had a good fastball, but it’s his ability to command it that has really improved, as he places his 90-93 mph fastball on both sides of the plate. The curveball is a plus pitch with big depth, and he can either bury the pitch in the dirt when ahead, or locate it for strike one. He’ll need to use the change more often, but when it is on display, it flashes above-average. The delivery is clean, and while the control is ahead of the command, there’s no reason to think he’s not going to hit enough spots to be a starter in a big league rotation.

There are pitchers with more upside than Garrett, but his combination of a high-ceiling and high-floor make him one of the best prep pitchers in the class.

6. Kyle Lewis, OF, Mercer — You could argue he has the highest ceiling of any collegiate bat, but the contact issues put him significantly behind Ray.

7. Mickey Moniak, OF, La Costa Canyon HS (CA) — He’s the most likely of these outfielders to stay in center field, and Moniak has shown there’s more pop in his left-handed bat than anticipated.

8. Nick Senzel, 3B, Tennessee — Senzel might be the most “big-league ready” hitting prospect (yes, even over Ray), but the lack of above-average power could see his stock slide.

9. AJ Puk, LHP, Florida — He might be the first pick of this year’s draft, which is ridiculous, but if you see him on his best day, there’s a 70 fastball and a 60 slider.

10. Riley Pint, RHP, St. Thomas Aquinas HS (KS) — In terms of pure stuff, he’s as good as any prep pitcher in this class. In terms of command and clean delivery, he...isn’t.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (05-19-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,151 Posts
    I want no part of Pint, Puk or Rutherford at 3. Any of the rest would be OK with me, but I would would be a little disappointed with Ray. My top 4:

1. Lewis
    2. Groome
    3. Senzel
    4. Perez

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Listening to the Callis interview on my lunch break. So far, he said that there is a better than average chance Kyle Lewis is on the board for the Braves based on who he has been talking to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,513 Posts
    Listening to a podcast with Perfect Game's head writer on it.

They're convinced it starts Lewis-Puk and then have heard us heavy on Groome and Ray. It sounds like they're far from certain though.

The most interesting part came with our 40 and 44 picks. He said that he's heard a ton about us loving Carter Kieboom (http://www.perfectgame.org/players/p...aspx?ID=295622). He said he was specifically told that when he does a mock, he needs to give the Braves Keiboom at 40 or 44. I like him, looks like a good player.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (05-19-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Callis thinks Lewis is the top prospect in the draft. Says he would take Lewis 1:1. Believes his ETA for MLB is mid 2018 or beginning 2019.

Callis also says that he feels that if Lewis is gone, the Braves will take Riley Pint.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Just heard the interview. Callis was actually saying scouts believe Josh Lowe could be the best HS pitcher from Georgia since Wainwright, but he wants to play every day and hit.
    I thought it was odd that the best GA HS pitcher since Wainwright wasn't at the top of the draft.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Callis thinks Lewis is the top prospect in the draft. Says he would take Lewis 1:1. Believes his ETA for MLB is mid 2018 or beginning 2019.

Callis also says that he feels that if Lewis is gone, the Braves will take Riley Pint.
    Meanwhile Keith Law is saying in his chat that he's extremely confident the Braves like Groome more than Pint. Fun times!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

So basically, nobody has any clue what we're going to do.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

NYCBrave (05-19-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    So basically, nobody has any clue what we're going to do.
    Precisely

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,006 Posts
    If we take Pint over Groome, I'll rage. The guy is just so good. I completely understand taking Lewis over him, but he's absolutely the best talent in the draft. Allard, Groome, Newcomb, Fried. Good Jesus.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I want one of these 3

(in order)
    1. Lewis
    2. Groome
    3. Pint

I really don't want
    1. Ray
    2. Rutherford

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    494 Posts
    Precisely
    Which is probably (hopefully) not an accident!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I would like Lewis, Groome, Senzel, or Perez with Moniak and Ray being OK with me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    The thing I like about Kyle Lewis is that he is still 20 years old. He doesn't turn 21 until July 13th. He's probably the best mix of a guy who could move fast but also has plenty of upside left in his game. My hope is that he can be a right handed Jason Hewyard that actually lives up to his offensive potential.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,133 Posts
    What's scary about Lewis is he hasn't been playing baseball that long and is getting these results. I can't imagine if he'd been playing his whole life what kind of player he'd be.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    What's scary about Lewis is he hasn't been playing baseball that long and is getting these results. I can't imagine if he'd been playing his whole life what kind of player he'd be.
    We will find out soon enough. I have a feeling he either turns into Dave Winfield, or the contact issues scouts are worried about cause him to struggle and he becomes the next Jorge Soler.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    We will find out soon enough. I have a feeling he either turns into Dave Winfield, or the contact issues scouts are worried about cause him to struggle and he becomes the next Jorge Soler.

True. So do you go with somebody like Lewis who's ceiling is through the roof or take somebody like Senzel who is a reliable and safe pick?